Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Your Wallet or Your Pocket PC?

Imagine for a moment that you've been attacked by a gang of vile criminals. They offer you the choice of having your wallet taken by force or your pocket pc. You can't fight them off, and they are "mean" looking enough that you believe they'll seperate you from your belongings. Which one do you give up?

Or perhaps I should phrase the question differently: Assuming the cost of the device is no issue (it's theft / loss insured), what is more valuable to you, your wallet or your Pocket PC?

The reason I ask was that I recently have the revelation that my most valuable daily-carry item was no longer my wallet. My wallet has largely become a vestige of the non-digital world. All the information in my wallet (i.e. credit card numbers, drivers license number) are in my eWallet on my device, and photo copied and stored at home. While I carry around some emergency cash in case I'm stranded somewhere that doesn't take credit cards or checks, the money isn't the issue - it's more the fact that I believe that losing my Pocket PC would be more of a headache than losing my wallet - a thought that 5 years ago I would have scoffed at! So what's more valuable to you, and are you suprised by your answer?

Old 06-10-2006, 07:05 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

My Pocket PC is infinitely more valuable.

The current (and usual) contents of my wallet are as follows:

- BC ID card (easy enough to replace)

- post-it note with the dimensions of my Tablet PC, in case I'm ever in a store that sells reasonable-looking and reasonable-quality bags (I have the same note in Outlook and on my Pocket PC)

- Interac card (easy enough to replace)

- Save-on-More card (easy enough to replace)

- 2 x $10 bills

Old 06-10-2006, 07:29 AM
surur
Mystic

PPC of course!!! It would be the perfect excuse to get a new one!!

Surur

Old 06-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

I'm almost guaranteed to fight. If someone is going to take something from me they can bleed while trying it...

Old 06-10-2006, 08:49 AM
KTamas
Thinker

My PPC is more valueable of course. Though, I might just fight....

Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 AM
alzayani
Neophyte

My wallet is more valueable, "everything" inside it:

and by "everything" I mean:

==Cards==
- ID's Cards (Population card (CPR) +ID card+Driving licernse card)
- Bank Cards (2 of them)
- Work ID card
- Helath Insurance card + Medical Service Provider Directory + my family clinic card

==Pictures==
- stamp size pictures
- some family pictures

==Cash==
some cash in diffrent Currency (just in case)

my PPC can be replaced over and over again >>> (I have all my data in my laptop and backup CD's)

Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 PM
eagle63
Ponderer

wallet is way more valuable. While I do keep a lot of id's, passwords, etc on my ppc it's all encypted and password protected. No chance the thieves will get at it.
But the wallet has all my credit cards, ID cards, and probably some cash. At the very least they could gain a lot personal info about me from my wallet - and identity theft is not fun.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:13 PM
WorksForTurkeys
Intellectual

what's a "wallet"? I seem to recall that my father once had this piece of leather that he kept money in.

Working for a major US corporation, I have no need of a folder to keep my money in: everyone knows Americans corporations follow the Wal-Mart business model and don't actually pay their employees sufficiently for people to have "spending money" anymore. :wink:

Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

My case for my i700 holds my drivers license and a credit card. I searched pretty thoroughly to find a case where I could do that. There's a selection of other cards as well, like my medical insurance card.

My i700 holds all my passwords and quite a bit of other sensitive data. It truly is a PDA to me.

My wallet is getting obsolete - holding cash and a few things that are used very infrequently.

Crazy thought: since my stylus is now routinely falling out of its slot, why not replace it with a MetalStorm style gun barrel? :twisted:

Old 06-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

How can you get along without a driver's license? I can just see showing my pocket pc to a cop! And showing my credit card number to a business to scan? Makes no sense to me. I'll give up my ppc, which I can replace. I don't store that kind of stuff on it.