Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HP iPAQ rw6828 Pictures at MrPalm.com

http://www.mrpalm.com/getcontent3.php?tid=390

Unfortunately, many of you in the Americas and Europe have never seen the Asia-Pacific-exclusive HP iPAQ rw6828 in the flesh. Built by Quanta, it resembles the O2 Xda Atom in many ways (from specs to form factor), though the rw6828 includes a few extras (such as a flip cover and a modified button layout).

Here is an official specs sheet if you're interested. You can give your eyes a treat by visiting MrPalm.com for a bundle of pictures of the device itself, and a side-by-side comparison with the Dopod 818 Pro (HTC Prophet) and Gigabyte g-Smart i. It's an awesome device, and one that I've been fortunate enough to get a lot of hands-on time with, due to it being readily available in many Australian consumer electronics stores. I only wish it were available worldwide, so that I wouldn't have to continue teasing all of you with pictures of devices you may never see in the real world.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I see its tri-band. Anyone know if that includes 850?

And its bluetooth 1.2 rather than 2.0. Though I don't know what the differences are.

It does have decent processor.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Mr. PPC
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Mr. PPC

Darius,

Any idea on battery life, compared to the JAMin?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson
I see its tri-band. Anyone know if that includes 850?
No, it's 900/1800/1900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson
And its bluetooth 1.2 rather than 2.0. Though I don't know what the differences are.
Bluetooth 2.0 supports faster transfer rates and lower power consumption. It's been around for a while, but Pocket PCs are only *just* starting to make use of this newer specification.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Why must you people keep taunting me with this phone? You know I want one. Sadists! 8O

Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PPC
Any idea on battery life, compared to the JAMin?
The rw6828 has a higher capacity battery which HP rates at 5.5 hours (talk time) / 240 hours (standby time). If I'm not mistaken, the talk time is similar to the JAMin, but the standby time is much higher than the JAMin.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
simon tahiti
Pupil

I'm also in Australia and just ordered one of these.

Anyone know exactly what kind of adapter I'll need to listen to my music on this thing using standard stereo headphones with a 3.5mm jack? I know that Seidio and PPCtechs sell 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters for various devices, including the Atom. Is this device so identical to the Atom that the same adapter will do the trick?

Also, I always use screen protectors and would like to order some while I wait for my new device to arrive. Is the screen identical in dimensions to the Atom?

Old 06-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon tahiti
Anyone know exactly what kind of adapter I'll need to listen to my music on this thing using standard stereo headphones with a 3.5mm jack? I know that Seidio and PPCtechs sell 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters for various devices, including the Atom. Is this device so identical to the Atom that the same adapter will do the trick?
Yes, the Pocket PC Techs 2.5mm / 3.5mm adapter should do the trick. It has the right number of bands to match the typical Phone Edition pin-out configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon tahiti
Also, I always use screen protectors and would like to order some while I wait for my new device to arrive. Is the screen identical in dimensions to the Atom?
Yes, they're both 2.7" - so the WriteSHIELD AG or C2 for the Atom would work fine.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Edgar_
Theorist
Default Re: HP iPAQ rw6828 Pictures at MrPalm.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
I only wish it were available worldwide, so that I wouldn't have to continue teasing all of you with pictures of devices you may never see in the real world.

A> You know you love teasing all of us! Wonder if I'd see it in Amsterdam or Frankfurt... I'm in Kiev June 17-30 with stop overs in both those cities.

b> I agree - OZ is not the real world.

-Edgar_

Old 06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
uhoo
Pupil

HP Singapore's actually running a promo where you trade in an old ipaq or notebook to get up to $400 off. Not very tempted though, it's still got a QVGA screen, and no GPS/3G.