Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default One Big, Happy Family Plan?

Now that I've pretty much settled down to one device, it's nice that the family (of phones) can get together for a group photo. Like most families, it takes a lot of effort to make sure everyone gets along, everyone's happy with who they are, and most importantly, that everyone's within reach or always in touch.

Figure 1. Our first family phone photo.

Now that Verizon Wireless has happily locked all three of us into a two-year contract, the slim and sexy Q Smartphone has come out, yet I remain faithful and unphased. Sure, it's hot and has got its killer looks, but how good can it be if I can "look but can't touch?" ( Yes, I'm referring to the QVGA screen.) Of course, the Hermes isn't too far away and so is Cingular's 3G nationwide rollout, but I still don't think it would be worth it to break up the family for it. Of course, I've never actually experienced a Hermes in my hands, nor Cingular's 3G speeds firsthand either.

For all those happy with their Windows Mobile devices, what's the "one thing" that would make you dump what you have and take the plunge to the next device? Or does it need more than "one thing" to do it? For those not in the "Phone Edition" world yet, what are you waiting for (if anything)?

Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

As far as I can tell, I'd probably need one of the following to be available for Windows Mobile to "drop" it:

1. Self-Renewing Power Source (No battery charging)
2. Immediate connections with 100% No-Dropped-Call Rate
3. On-Site Service Contract, including reception issues ("Yea, I think a new tower right over there would be good, hop to it!")
4. Large cash incentive (i.e. Palm decides they want me to be a paid endorser - I could be bought for a number with enough commas in it )
5. Windows Mobile brand acquired by Nokia, instantly changing upcoming features from "fast data connection" to "fast faceplace swapping".

As you can see, I'm pretty committed. Mostly because the fear of losing the software I've grown to love and the OS I know so well. That, and all other phones really seem 'dumb' to me

Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 PM
hx2210
Pupil

I am very happy with my normal Pocket PC (HP iPAQ hx2110) and only recently getting frustrated having a Pocket PC in one pocket and a mobile phone in the other. Espeacialy when I need to get my iPAQ out as well because the number I want to call isn't in my phone.

So I was waiting for a Phone Edition device that had WM5, a screen that is as big as my iPAQ hx2110 and preferably HP. But now the HP iPAQ rw6828 is comming out I am looking at getting that.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 PM
stevenator65
Pupil

What would make me dump my x50v? I would need a phone with a similarly large, vga screen, b/c once you go vga you can't go back.

The company I work for uses Nextel, and none of those phones seems to have any features that make me want to switch. Personally I think the walkie talkie feature is overrated. It's less expensive to call someone on other plans than it is to pay for the plan to use the walkie talkie feature.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
pacer1079
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to pacer1079

hi all. this is my first post, though I've been reading the site for years.

For me, only two features would pull me from my XV6700 or my vzw plan:
-Cingular reception improving considerably in my area (doubtful)
or
vzw launching a 640x480 device (also doubtful).

I suspect I'll make good on my two year commitment before any of this comes to be. S'ok though- I love my xv6700

Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Verizon is now established in my area, and is offering s discount to State workers, so I'll probably soon retire my rx3115 and get a 6700.

Looking forward to having a converged device

Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
alizhan
Pupil
Default Re: One Big, Happy Family Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
For those not in the "Phone Edition" world yet, what are you waiting for (if anything)?
Verizon offering a PE device without an integrated camera, and without cramming a $45/month data plan that I'll never use down my throat. The camera is disallowed at work (what's the point of having a phone if you can't keep it with you?); the data plan won't work in my home town (I don't live in a major urban center--so I guess I don't count). :evil:

As such, instead of getting a $400 PE device, I'll be getting the cheapest "it's just a phone, dagnabbit" phone I can find.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Bacco
Intellectual

I don't think I'll leave Cingular (Blue actually)...but I can't wait to leave EDGE behind. I'd also love a VGA screen device, but not for the current sized devices that are out there.

I'm very happy with my Wizard...longest phone I've keep in many years.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: One Big, Happy Family Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
Sure, it's hot and has got its killer looks, but how good can it be if I can "look but can't touch?" ( Yes, I'm referring to the QVGA screen.)
Actually, from what I've heard, it's pretty useable for standard productivity tasks. Still, I'm happy with the 700w, and don't intend to change anytime soon.

--janak

Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

The iMate JasJar's screen and keyboard setup using the hardware and software from the Gigabyte g-smart i would make me switch in a heart beat. I'm getting close to the end of my verizon contract and if cingular really rolls out 3G well I'd have to try that.