Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default E-TEN Officially Announces the M600+

The M600+ has been officially announced by E-TEN. As expected, it's the same as the M600 - but includes a few extras: 256MB ROM, a 2.0-megapixel camera, Bluetooth 2.0, and the MSFP, which enables Microsoft's push e-mail solution. The press release can be found after the break.

"E-TEN Information Systems has announced that it will launch an updated version of its popular M600 Pocket PC Phone at Computex Taipei 2006. The new model, dubbed the M600+, retains the elegant design and impressive core hardware features that made the original M600 a favorite among both the media and consumers, and adds increased 256MB memory capacity, an improved 2.0 mega-pixels camera, and updated software including support for Push email services, to make a great Pocket PC Phone package even better.

The original M600 Pocket PC Phone was designed by E-TEN to deliver a complete communications package in a single compact device. The phone/PDA offers quad-band (worldwide) GSM and GPRS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connectivity options, each of which come supported with a comprehensive suit of software utilities that make keeping in touch while on the move simple and efficient. More highlights of the M600 that earned praise from reviewers include; a fast 400MHz Samsung processor that delivers boosted performance with the latest mobile applications, an extra-bright 2.8" display, and impressive battery life. Consumers loved the M600 for its elegant antenna-free compact design, versatile SDIO expansion slot, and its ease of use.

With the M600+ E-TEN have made a few modest improvements to the M600 specification to offer better value and features without impacting upon the performance that made the original such a hit favorite. Flash memory has been increased to 256MB (double the original capacity) meaning consumers can load the M600+ with even more mobile applications, personal documents and contact information. Secondly, the built-in camera has been upgraded and is now capable of capturing images up to 2.0 mega-pixels in size. Finally, support for Bluetooth 2.0 has been added.

The M600+ comes preloaded with the latest version of Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0, which adds support for Direct Push technology. With Direct Push the mobile capabilities of the M600+ are extended even further by enabling most of the information stored on a corporate Microsoft Exchange Server to be updated directly on the phone. Many mobile professionals are now familiar with 'Push Email' services that allow the delivery of certain kinds of emails onto their mobile devices, however on the M600+, Direct Push goes even further allowing contacts, calendars, tasks and other information, in addition to emails, to be sent to the device.

The M600+ will be available soon in all regions and will be priced only reasonably higher than the M600."

Old 06-05-2006, 02:43 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I really like that they bumped the ROM size - though I still would like to see more. However, I'm very surprised they decided to not to add EDGE or 3G wireless to this. How can you have an obvioulsy high-end mobile phone device without it these days? Seems like they have eliminated a large portion of the potential market just by leaving this one technology out.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:29 PM
robshobs
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
I really like that they bumped the ROM size - though I still would like to see more. However, I'm very surprised they decided to not to add EDGE or 3G wireless to this. How can you have an obvioulsy high-end mobile phone device without it these days? Seems like they have eliminated a large portion of the potential market just by leaving this one technology out.
I agree. If they had included EDGE, I'd be seriously thinking about upgrading my existing M600. However, all the other enhancements don't really excite me. While more memory is nice, I have more than enough space using a 2GB SD card.

Rob

Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 PM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
I agree. If they had included EDGE, I'd be seriously thinking about upgrading my existing M600. However, all the other enhancements don't really excite me. While more memory is nice, I have more than enough space using a 2GB SD card.
Rob
I really dislike the "feature" in WM5 that disconects memory card when the device powers off. Because of this, any file or program residing on memory card, is closed or in some cases it can even get corrupted.
So for me more ROM is much better than the memory card.
Oh and yes, EDGE or better yet UMTS would be great...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Johnny Bravo RJ
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny Bravo RJ Send a message via MSN to Johnny Bravo RJ

Improve build quality: that�s what they really should have done.
I�m a retailer here in Brazil and I had to return more than 10% of the units I sold, due to screen alingment and hanging issues after less than one month usage (even after applying latest patches and ROM updates).
They reminded me my bad days with Palm and MSD problems...
I stopped selling them. My customers deserve more quality.