Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus
Default Take Another Loox - The N560 Pocket PC Reviewed

Product Category: Pocket PC
Manufacturer: Fujitsu Siemens
Where to Buy: Clove Technology
Price: �320 ($600 USD at current exchange rate)
Specifications: Windows Mobile 2005, 3.5" VGA screen, Integrated GPS Complete specifications

Pros:
  • Screen is sharp and bright; better than Loox 720;
  • Very compact;
  • Very speedy;
  • Very good GPS reception;
  • No loss of stored data if battery is fully drained.
Cons:
  • Battery life only fair;
  • Cradle a bit difficult to use.
As HP seems to be scaling down their range of Pocket PC offerings, the options for folks in North America are becoming limited. There are few options aside from the limited offerings from HP and Dell, and HP doesn't even make a unit available that combines the big breakthrough from the last generation (VGA) with that of the current generations (Windows Mobile 2005).

But take heart, all you Pocket PC diehards... as long as you're willing to buy from overseas, the options are still plentiful. European-based Fujitsu-Siemens (FSC) offers a wide range of Pocket PCs, with QVGA and VGA screens and with or without integrated GPS receivers.

I became a fan of FSC's products with my Loox 720, a VGA unit that was at the top of the company's previous generation Pocket PC lineup. With their latest generation, the top-of-the-line is represented by the N560. Let's see this new player stacks up.

Specifications and Design

Figure 1: The front view. Click on image for larger view.

The N560's design is pretty traditional as Pocket PCs go. It's on the small side, measuring 4.56" x 2.79" x .55" (116 x 71 x 14 mm) and weighing in at 5.6 oz. (160 g) with battery. That makes it slightly smaller and lighter than the Loox 720, which measures 4.80" x 2.83" x .60" (122 x 72 x 15.2 mm) and weighs 6.0 oz. (170 g). Smaller and lighter is a good thing, but a slightly smaller screen (3.5" vs. 3.6"), a lower capacity battery and the omission of a Compact Flash slot are required to achieve its trim figure.

The front panel is simple, with the power button centered on top and the traditional 4-buttons and directional pad with action button beneath the screen. The buttons have labels that are backlit in blue, adding a bit of a "cool" factor while making the buttons more visible in low-light conditions.

A light on each upper corner communicates notifications and status. The left light flashes green when WiFi is active and blue for Bluetooth. The light on the right flashes orange when charging and glows steady orange when charging is complete.

Figure 2: The view from the bottom... I feel right at home... Click on image for larger view.

The bottom end has nothing more than the reset button and the connector for the cradle or a synch cable. I appreciate the fact that, unlike the 720, the reset button can be pressed with the stylus, as opposed to requiring that you unscrew a cap to access a reset pin.

Figure 3: Movin' on up... the view from the top. Click on image for larger view.

Figure 4: The right side. Click on image for larger view.

The top end contains the SD slot, headphone jack and stylus. The note button, microphone and IRDA port are found on the left side, while the right side has no controls at all.

Figure 5: I got your back... Click on image for larger view.

The back sports the battery door and a connector for an external GPS antenna.

The primary feature included in the N560 that the 720 doesn't have is the integrated GPS. The GPS is the current state-of-the-art with a SiRF Star III Chip. In the past, I've used a Bluetooth GPS receiver with my Pocket PC, so I wasn't particularly intrigued by the built-in GPS receiver. But I was curious to see how the GPS would perform. I'll report on the results of my testing in a later section.

Please note that the listed price does NOT include navigation software. I've heard that Clove plans to offer bundles that include the N560 and one of several choices of navigation software, but I don't see anything listed on their site at this point.

Features of the 720 that the N560 doesn't have include a Compact Flash slot (both units provide an SD slot), a jog dial and the camera. Of these items, I'll miss the jog dial most, since I used it on the 720 mostly to flip pages in e-books. Compact Flash is a declining technology, as the format has become too big in devices that are getting smaller and smaller with each new generation. Meanwhile, high capacity SD cards are getting cheaper all the time. As for the camera, I already have a mediocre camera in my cell phone, and one mediocre camera is all I'll ever need.

Features that are improved with the N560 over those of the 720 include a faster processor (624 vs. 520 MHz) and faster wireless (802.11g vs. 802.11b).

Peripherals and Accessories
The stylus is a thin metal piece, slightly longer than the 720 stylus, but with a somewhat more substantial feel. The 720's tip was removable, with the reset pin on the opposite end. The N560 can be reset with the standard tip, so the tip stays put.

The case is a leatherette and elastic affair that most people will replace ASAP. I got a great Piel Frama case for mine... it wasn't cheap but seems to be worth the price. But that's another review.

Figure 6: And the cradle will rock... no, not really... Click on image for larger view.

A cradle is also included. It has a weighted base and seems sturdy, but I prefer the style of the 720's cradle. The N560 cradle lacks the spare battery charger that the 720 included, but adds a stereo-out connector that may be useful for those who use the unit as an MP3 player. One minor issue with the cradle is that it's a little trickier than most to insert and connect the unit. If you don't have exactly the right angle, the connectors won't engage. You get used to it, but I'd prefer not to have to.

As with the 720, the AC adapter is UK spec, meaning that it doesn't include a plug compatible with US spec outlets. An inexpensive plug converter from Radio Shack took care of this, but you may want to plan ahead if you order an N560. No convertor is required for voltage.

Windows Mobile 2005
The biggest news about the latest generation of Pocket PCs is the introduction of Windows Mobile 2005, the newest iteration of the OS for Pocket PCs and Smartphones. For those of you who aren't aware of the key features of this new release, the most significant change is the use of persistent storage rather than RAM for application and data storage. I'll bring you up to speed with a brief description of this feature.

Previous generations of Pocket PCs use RAM both for primary data storage and program execution. Although memory cards and built-in file stores provide some options for more permanent storage, the My Documents folder as well as the system databases that contain calendar and contact information are in RAM. Since RAM is volatile storage, a loss of power (dead batteries, for example) results in the loss of the contents of the RAM, including the documents and databases described above. Also, the RAM needs to be refreshed at all times, even when the unit is "turned off", which further drains the battery. Many owners weren't aware of the consequences of this design, and would leave their Pocket PC in a briefcase while on vacation only to find a "dead" unit and lost data when they got back.

Windows Mobile 2005 units eliminate these potential problems by using flash ROM for permanent storage (documents, installed software and system databases), leaving RAM for program execution and open documents. If your batteries run dry, you'd lose at most any unsaved documents, since flash ROM is persistent storage that doesn't require constant power. The lower power requirements of this design also results in improved battery life while the unit is powered down.

It all works quite well, but since there's no such thing as a free lunch, there are some downsides that I'll describe a bit later.

Figure 7: The Today screen now has soft keys. Click on image for larger view.

Windows Mobile 2005 also provides some major interface changes. Taking a page from Windows Smartphones, WM 2005 Pocket PCs are designed for better "one-handed" operation through the introduction of soft keys, which are two keys on the bottom of the screen that are large enough to be easily pressed with your fingers. These keys are context sensitive. On the Today page, they provide access to Calendar and Contacts. While using applications, they pull up menus or provide an anticipated "next step"... for example, if you just copied text to the clipboard, a soft key may change to "Paste". This can be a handy change for applications that support it. However, some applications that offer explicit WM 2005 support don't use the soft keys.

Figure 8: Soft keys pulling up a menu in Word Mobile. Click on image for larger view.

Additional changes include updated versions of Pocket Word and Pocket Excel (now known as Word Mobile and Excel Mobile), whose main claim to fame is improved compatibility with the desktop counterparts. In other words, more formatting is preserved when a document goes between PDA and desktop. PowerPoint Mobile is a new application that allows viewing PowerPoint presentations on the road.

Using the N560
The N560 is constructed of plastic with a very high quality feel. It has an understated and contemporary "executive" appearance that I find very appealing. As much as I like the size and weight of the 720, the slightly smaller size and lighter weight of the N560 makes it fit even better in my hand. It feels very compact... as close to perfect as any I can remember.

Although the screen is slightly smaller than the 720's, it's very bright, with great contrast and vivid color. It seems to me to be even better than the excellent 720 screen.

The N560 is quick to respond, feeling as fast as the 720 for most uses. Although the N560 has a faster processor, the 720 has the speed advantage inherent to RAM storage. The difference is nearly imperceptible when data is retrieved from storage. Writing to storage is a different story altogether, at least when large amounts of data are concerned.

I've been storing my company's entire phone directory for several years now. That currently consists of just under 7,000 contacts. With the 720, storing these contacts in RAM, it took around 5 minutes to import these contacts from my PC. The N560 took around 2 hours to import these same contacts to its slower flash ROM. Clearly, writing very large amounts of data to storage is not the forte of the N560 (or other WM2005 units). Fortunately, the situation that prompted me to store all of these contacts has changed, so I won't be doing this anymore. This is the one concession that I had to make to persistent storage. Note that typical small amounts of data (a single appointment or contact or a Word Mobile document, for example) take just a tick longer than before to save.

So far, the overall stability of the N560 has been impressive. I've run PlanMaker and TextMaker on my last three Pocket PCs, and they always seemed somewhat sluggish, as if they were more than the unit could handle. And I'd have to do soft resets more often than I would have liked.

On the other hand, these same applications are noticeably more responsive on the N560, and resets of any type have been rare. Is this a matter of the faster processor? The OS revisions? Other hardware factors? I may never know... for now, I'm assuming that there are multiple factors at play and I'll just enjoy this much improved user experience.

Battery Performance
I didn't perform a test to determine how long it takes to drain the battery; instead I monitored battery performance during common usage. With the processor on automatic and the backlight about � up the scale, I found that after reading an e-book for one hour, the battery level would be at around 75 - 80%. Since the battery can be drained almost completely on WM 2005 units before the battery needs to be recharged, I would expect a life of around four hours under these conditions, which is about average performance in my experience.

GPS Performance
The N560 received some criticism recently in a review from another site for taking a long time (up to 10 minutes) to determine its initial location. In my experience, the initial startup did take several minutes. This is typical because GPS receivers boost performance by remembering as much as possible from the last time they were used and only refreshing data that has become stale. The first time a receiver is activated (or when the unit needs to reinitialize because it's far enough away from its last location to change the satellites that it would use), the amount of data that needs to be downloaded is significant and can take several minutes.

However, for most people, the key performance measurement is the time it takes the receiver to determine location when it doesn't have to initialize. Using OnCourse Navigator 5 as my navigation software, I found that the N560 took around 20 - 60 seconds to get a location fix. This is comparable to the performance of my Bluetooth GPS receivers. So I found the GPS performance of the N560 to be satisfactory.

And the N560 was able to overcome my preference for a Bluetooth GPS receiver. The rationale behind this preference was that I liked the idea of having the separate GPS receiver on the dashboard for optimal reception, while allowing the navigator to sit comfortably in his seat while using the navigation software on the Pocket PC.

But this rationale was about to change. As part of my review, I took the N560 on a recent vacation in order to stress test its navigation capabilities. I was vacationing about 2000 miles from home, so the GPS had to reinitialize. This took about 5 minutes, a fine showing. From that point on, a fix was achieved in about 20 - 60 seconds, as stated earlier. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to sit comfortably in the passenger seat using the Pocket PC while the GPS reliably retained its fix. So it seems I'll be using the N560's built-in GPS receiver after all. And I like the idea of having a complete navigation solution in the one unit. I'm sure that will result in more use of the navigation software, since I can use it on the spur of the moment without having to remember to bring the Bluetooth GPS.

Conclusions
Overall, I find the Loox N560 to be a worthy upgrade to the Loox 720. Its compact size and light weight make it easy to carry around, its VGA display is bright and beautiful and performance is responsive. Its stability is most impressive, in that soft resets are very rarely required and "heavy duty" applications like PlanMaker run very smoothly. The N560 is most definitely the finest Pocket PC that I've used and should be on the short list of anyone in the market for a top notch PDA.

Doug Raeburn is a data architect specializing in data warehouse design. He lives in Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Take Another Loox - The N560 Pocket PC Reviewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Raeburn
It seems to me to be even better than the excellent 720 screen.
It is in my opinion too. I've compared it "live" to two PL70's and a hx4700, and was really suprised. While the hx4700 is still capable of definitely less minimal backlight lebel (excellent for total-darkness e-book reading), the N560 is a step in the good direction in that it has a considerably lower backlight level.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:21 AM
bobbydigital
Neophyte
Default ebay china?

Does anyone have an opinion about importing an N560 to the US from China via ebay?
I would love for this to be my first PPC, but I'm concerned about English compatibility of a device with the German edition of WM5.

Thanks for any insight

http://cgi.ebay.com/PDA-N-560-Fujits...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Re: ebay china?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital
I would love for this to be my first PPC, but I'm concerned about English compatibility of a device with the German edition of WM5.
I wouldn't bother bidding - changing the language of a Windows Mobile device breaches the EULA. The ROM upgrade programs explicitly check for language during the setup stage, so you can't actually install an English ROM over a different language ROM.

Why don't you try here instead?

Old 06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
KAMware
Ponderer

I would be hesitant on buying a Chinese version on eBay.
I pre-ordered one from MobilePlanet (UK English) a couple of weeks ago.

I can wait as I have 3 other Pocket PCs to keep me company.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:33 PM
jlp
Pontificator
Default Re: Take Another Loox - The N560 Pocket PC Reviewed

Quote:
The biggest news about the latest generation of Pocket PCs is the introduction of Windows Mobile 2005, the newest iteration of the OS for Pocket PCs and Smartphones. For those of you who aren't aware of the key features of this new release, the most significant change is the implementation of persistent storage.
Persistent storage was ALWAYS there. The use of it exclusively for storage of every file (apps and data) is new.

However running anything from ROM slows things down quite a bit. On my Axim X5 when I run apps and data located in RAM, switching from one program to the next (using GigaBar) is instantaneous; however when I launch another app from ROM, switching between apps takes up to 7 seconds, and still average 4 seconds, EVEN between the apps that launched from RAM!!!

Quote:
Previous generations of Pocket PCs use RAM both for primary data storage and program execution. Although memory cards and built-in file stores provide some options for more permanent storage, the My Documents folder as well as the system databases that contain calendar and contact information are in RAM. Since RAM is volatile storage, a loss of power (dead batteries, for example) results in the loss of the contents of the RAM, including the documents and databases described above.
That's the biggest deception from those stupid MS engineers (mind you I'm NOT an MS basher, but a stupidity basher 8)) ROM is up to 10 times slower. And one can install a program that automatically backs up your data when power goes under a user defined level. That should be included as a standard feature. I seem to recall the first ipaq generation had such an automatic backup of calendar and contacts to ROM at every soft boot; modifying such program to backup data at some fixed interval could be very easy; for example at midnight when the system already wakes up to roll recurring appointments.

But most importantly, EVERY battery manufacturer recommend battery level to be topped at all time.

So this persistent storage argument is a) moot, b) totally unefficient and counter productive (and needless to say irritating; I quickly close* programs I run from ROM as soon as I'm thru with them) as far as lower performance in everyday life is concerned, which is the worst.

Quote:
Also, the RAM needs to be refreshed at all times, even when the unit is "turned off", which further drains the battery.

Read above. Automatic backup is a better solution.

Quote:
Many owners weren't aware of the consequences of this design, and would leave their Pocket PC in a briefcase while on vacation only to find a "dead" unit and lost data when they got back.
RTFM :twisted:.

Quote:
Windows Mobile 2005 units eliminate these potential problems by using flash ROM for permanent storage (documents, installed software and system databases), leaving RAM for program execution and open documents. If your batteries run dry, you'd lose at most any unsaved documents, since flash ROM is persistent storage that doesn't require constant power. The lower power requirements of this design also results in improved battery life.
So how come the battery life for this unit is only 3 hours vs. 12 for the PL 720?!!

Quote:
Windows Mobile 2005 also provides some major interface changes. Taking a page from Windows Smartphones, WM 2005 Pocket PCs are designed for better "one-handed" operation through the introduction of soft keys, which are two keys on the bottom of the screen that are large enough to be easily pressed with your fingers.
Tell me how you can hold the device firmly in your hand resting on your palm with thumb and fingers wrapping on both sides and hit the soft keys with the same hand; with earthling fingers that is 0X. This is ok for smartphones which are MUCH smaller. I wish these stupid MS engineers left the choice to users to choose between which interface to use.

Quote:
I didn't perform a test to determine how long it takes to drain the battery; instead I monitored battery performance during common usage. With the processor on automatic and the backlight about � up the scale, I found that after reading an e-book for one hour, the battery level would be at around 75%. Since the battery can be drained almost completely on WM 2005 units before the battery needs to be recharged, I would expect a life of around three hours under these conditions, which is about average performance in my experience.
THREE hours battery life :evil:, and you say battery life improved with WiMp 5.0?! 8O Last time I checked the definition of the word improvement in my dictionary it meant something opposite to what you imply :devilboy:.

Thanks for taking the time to test the beast anyway :wink:.

The more I think about it the more I see I will NEVER touch a WiMp5 device, even with a 10 ft pole :twisted:.

*=and don't even get me started on why those MS engineers are deaf, arrogant and stupid concerning the missing Close functionality REQUIRED to pass the Designed for WM label 0X.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 PM
beq
Oracle

I'm still torn between the Loox N560 and Acer n311, argh.

N560 has GPS and higher-end hardware, but the n311 has 3.7" VGA screen in a smaller (and lighter) frame, so that the bezel looks impressively narrow. I was thinking to pair either one with a Motorola Razr V3i via Cingular.

Interesting comparing Mobile Planet (Expansys USA) and Clove Tech pricing.

Mobile Planet
N560: US$551.74 + UPS shipping ($8 ground, $20 two-day air, $35 next-day air)
n311: US$479.95 + UPS shipping ($12 ground, $20 two-day air, $35 next-day air)

Clove Tech (UK currency conversion)
N560: US$591.42 + oversea shipping ($44.35)
n311: US$391.63 + oversea shipping ($44.35)

With only a $72 (Mobile Planet) difference between N560 and n311, I might spring for the N560. But with a $200 (Clove Tech) difference, I would probably go with the n311?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Doug Raeburn
Default Merits of N560 and WM5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp
The more I think about it the more I see I will NEVER touch a WiMp5 device, even with a 10 ft pole :twisted:.
Well, it seems that my experience with WM2005 has been significantly better than your opinion of it would suggest. I don't really want to get into a debate over the merits of WM2005 here... this article is first and foremost a review of the N560, not a dissertation on WM2005, which is just one of its many characteristics.

Just a few comments:
  • Yes, it's true that persistent storage predated WM2005 (although it wasn't "always" there, as early Pocket PCs such as the Cassiopeia E-115 didn't have it). However, taken in the context of the entire article, I think it's clear that my point is that persistent storage is used in a significantly different way in WM2005 than in earlier WM versions, particularly in the case of data storage with the system databases. Prior to WM2005, except for some manufacturer embellishments, the persistent storage provided no more functionality than a storage card. At any rate, I revised the wording of that part of the review to clarify my meaning.
  • Your performance report based on your experience with the Axim differs significantly from my experience with the N560. I just loaded Agenda Fusion, Resco File Explorer and Word Mobile... AF loaded in about 4 seconds, while the other 2 loaded in about a second. And switching between them using Wisbar Advance 2 is instantaneous. I find the overall experience performance-wise to be very comparable to the 720, with WM2003 SE.
  • Automatic backup is less than infallible, from my experience. I've been "smart" enough to have Sprite Backup run every weekend on my Pocket PCs, and it would occasionally fail to run with no warning or error message. And when it stopped working, it stopped working altogether until I restarted it. I got to rely on the automatic backup working, and at times I would check the backups only to find that one hadn't occurred for weeks. Having your data in persistent storage requires no action on either your part or the part of potentially fallible software to protect your data. It's just there, and it's always the most up-to-date version.
  • Regarding battery life and the numbers that you state, the 12 hours is a claim from FSC that's wildly optimistic. To the contrary, Mobile-review found that, under actual usage conditions, the 720 would last from 7-8 hours under light use to as low as 2 hours 45 min. under heavier load. It would seem that my usage is different from theirs, because I never achieved 7-8 hours of use with my 720 even with light usage (reading an e-book, for example). Perhaps at best I achieved 4 1/2 hours. And as an update, since I've gotten more opportunity to use the N560, I think my 3 hour estimate was low... I'd probably raise it to at least 4 hours based on additional experience under comparable usage to the 720. So the N560 with a smaller battery is nearly comparable in battery life to the real life results of the 720 with the larger battery in a constant use situation, where the N560 has to refresh RAM constantly just like the 720. Once again, I reworded that part of the review to clarify that the longer battery life applies only when the unit is powered down and the WM2005 unit is not required to refresh RAM.
I'll finish up by reiterating that my experience with WM5 on the N560 has been excellent, and I stand behind my positive evaluation of it. It's not perfect, but its performance is comparable to or better than that of the 720 in just about all areas. While the concerns that you raise have the potential of being issues, at least in theory, my real life experience with using the N560 doesn't bear them out at all. At any rate, thanks for pointing out parts of the review that needed clarification.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:03 AM
stevenmh
Pupil

I've had the 720 for about a year and a half and love it. I've considered upgrading to the 560, but for now I think I'll stick with what I have.

Nice review, though. I'll throw out some thoughts of my own on various points:

As far as missing features, I agree on the CF slot and the camera. I've never used those anyway. The lack of jog dial hurts, though. I use Audible Player a lot, and the program automatically recognizes and uses the jog dial in/out for play/stop and up/down for volume adjustment. Windows Media Player can also be set up to work this way using the button mapping feature of WMP. This works extremely well, as you can have the PPC in a case clipped to your belt with headphones on and control the audio book / music with the exposed jog dial. With the 560, you could always map the side button to pause/play with WMP, but the Audible software does not offer any button mapping options, it just used the jog dial automatically. I do not see any registry entries that could be adjusted to achieve this, although I suppose it wouldn't be difficult for Audible to add the functionality if enough requests are made. In the meantime, when you're listening to an audio book and someone wants to say something to you, you have to unclip the 560 from your belt, unplug the headphones, open the case, and hit the stop button, then do all that in reverse to resume playing. Not cool, and as much as I use Audible Player, it's a big deal.

The other missing feature which the review doesn't discuss is the ability to sync with AS via wi-fi. While technically it's not a feature for which FSC is responsible, the fact is that the 560 uses WM5, WM5 *requires* AS 4.x, and AS 4.x cannot sync via wi-fi. I took my cradle to work the day after I got my 720, and my syncing at home takes place over my wireless network. Some would say no big deal, use a cable, but my PC is in the basement, and I do a sync every morning before leaving for work. I simply refuse to perform an "upgrade" which breaks something which currently works, and so WM5 continues to be a deal breaker for me, on ANY device, until MS fixes AS.

Battery life: the FSC-claimed battery life of 12 hrs for the 720 is a joke. I use XCPU Scalar to run my unit at 624 MHz Mon-Fri, but since I usually don't recharge over the weekend, I will lower the clock to 104 MHz when listening to an audio book. I also have Audible Player set to blank the screen when playing. With a blank screen, running at 104MHz, listening to audio over headphones, I get about 5 hrs out of a freshly charged battery. At 624MHz, full screen brightness and wi-fi or BT, I'd expect about half that. I have two batteries and get the same performance out of both, and this has been consistent over 18 months of ownership. It sounds like the 560 has a reasonable battery life compared to the 720.

I use Sprite Backup to do an auto backup every morning at 5:30. Yes, I've seen it hiccup and stop doing backups and not give an error. This is very rare, and I've been able to isolate the problem in some cases to another app (one that clears appointments from the database to fix the alarm issue). However, I use the Sprite Monitor feature to put a single line at the top of my Today screen showing the last backup time. With a glance each morning, I can always tell if Sprite has decided to stop doing backups, and go in and reschedule them. I have restored my 720 several times, and an iPAQ h2215 before my 720, and have never experienced a failed restore due to a corrupt image.

On the other hand, I can see the advantages of ROM storage. I think ROM storage + auto backup would make for a very reliable device. I suppose the RAM vs ROM performance issue depends on how well a particular device handles it, how an individual uses their device, and what apps they use. It sounds like the 560 does a reasonable job.

I have a BT GPS, and can agree that having it integrated into the device would make it much more useable. I don't carry my GPS around on my person at all times as I do my Pocket PC, so it's only useful on pre-planned road trips. If I'm in the car with someone else and they get lost, my map software doesn't do me any good.

One thing not mentioned in the review... is the IR the low-level variety or the consumer grade? While I don't use it that often, I do have remote control software on my 720, and tested its C-IR range to about 35 feet with my TV.

In the end, I wouldn't use the GPS as much as wi-fi sync and the jog dial. 802.11g, smaller and lighter, and backlit buttons are excellent touches, but not enough to convince me to upgrade from the 720. And finally, since I live in the US, ordering an FSC device is a bit of a gamble. I spent almost $700 on my 720 by the time I paid overseas shipping, and was painfully aware that FSC has no US presence, and therefore I was buying a $700 device with no warranty. I had a 30 day window to return to the vendor, which would have entailed another round of overseas shipping, but no course of action except the garbage can if the unit had died after 6 months. It's still running fine after 18 months, but I would only recommend it to fellow die-hard gadget freaks. When my coworker wanted advice on a PPC for business use, I pointed him to the Axim x50v with similar features and offered by a US company with US shipping costs and a US warranty. I knew that he would value convenient customer service over cutting edge features should a problem arise.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Doug Raeburn

Thanks for your comments. Although I was aware of the lack of wireless sync in AS 4, I didn't think to include it in the review because I don't use that feature. I have my cradle at work and use a minisync cable at home. But it is of course an issue for those who need to perform wireless sync, so thanks for pointing it out.

As for the IR, it is consumer grade, so remote control software will work with it. I didn't test range on it, since I don't have any remote control software to use with the N560.

Like you, I haven't had any issues with my 720, and hopefully my luck will hold out with the N560. I purchased both units from Clove in the UK and their service during purchase was exemplary. And I understand from other owners that they've been helpful in facilitating warranty service for customers outside of FSC's market area. However, since I don't have personal experience with warranty service, I can only report this second hand.

For myself, my take has been that the design, quality and features of the Loox Pocket PCs are ahead of the alternatives to a sufficient degree to make the potential of less convenient service seem like a reasonable tradeoff. This certainly applies to the Dell units, which have never appealed to me from a design standpoint, although I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone who wishes to purchase a Pocket PC from a US vendor. But for anyone who lives in an area without FSC presence and is considering taking the plunge of purchasing a Loox from overseas, I would recommend that you make sure that the vendor's service has gotten positive feedback from others. Based on that, I personally wouldn't use any vendor other than Clove for an English language Loox.

Again, thanks for your comments.