Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Previews Windows CE 6

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...6PreviewPR.mspx

"In a packed hall of developers and industry partners at Microsoft Corp.'s annual Mobile & Embedded DevCon, the company announced the availability of a beta release of Windows� CE 6, the next generation of its industry-leading, real-time software used to build customized operating systems for devices such as Internet Protocol (IP) set-top-boxes, Global Positioning System (GPS)-based devices, and industrial automation and medical devices. With the redesigned operating system (OS) kernel architecture, expanded capacity for simultaneous processes and a newly integrated tool set, Windows CE 6 will help device makers more quickly create devices that support a range of applications for high-demand categories."

Windows CE, the guts and gore of the Windows Mobile operating system, received a decent amount of attention at MEDC 2006 yesterday, with a preview of v6. Check out what's new by reading the Microsoft press release and visiting the Windows CE home page.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Typhoon
Sage

Any idea when it's due?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
The redesigned operating system kernel architecture supports significantly more simultaneously running processes, from 32 up to 32,000 simultaneous processes
That should make some PPCPE owners happy!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:28 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Dumb Q: What's CE stand for?

I've always assumed Compact Edition, but is that the case? Reading MS's Windows CE page, I can envision it being Compartmentalized Edition or Component Edition. :confused totally:

Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Dumb Q: What's CE stand for?
Nothing. Over the years, people have treated CE as "Compact Edition" or "Consumer Electronics", but I don't think Microsoft ever intended it to be a dedicated acronym.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:29 AM
jlp
Pontificator

Everybody should know it stands for Caveat Emptor (Buyers Beware 8) )