Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default New O2 XDA Atom Firmware Release Brings MSFP and Many Fixes

http://www.seeo2.com/user/XdaAtom/t..._May2006_WWE.vm

For those of you who have been waiting for an official firmware release (not those leaked, test versions) for the O2 XDA Atom, your prayers have been answered. O2 has officially released firmware update 20060426B1 in Chinese and English, and fixes a lot of issues for the Camera, FM Radio, GSM Radio, and overall performance of the device. Did I mention it includes the much appreciated Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) and all the other little goodies that AKU2 has to offer?

In order to download (it's a slow link right now), you'll need to have your XDA Atom's serial number registered on their website. Click on the title to get started!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

A device which legitimately ships with A2DP and MSFP. You gotta love it! 8)

Old 05-05-2006, 03:10 AM
saru83
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
i lil help out here for a guy who owns an Atom but does not know what does MSFP & A2DP means ops: ..

Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 AM
KTamas
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
i lil help out here for a guy who owns an Atom but does not know what does MSFP & A2DP means ops: ..
MSFP is Messaging & Security Feature Pack, as known as Direct Push which provides a Blackberry-alike push e-mail techology when used with Exchange Server SP2. That is, you get your messages instantly like they were SMS

A2DP is Advanced Audio Distribution Profile, a Bluetooth profile, which means if you have a Bluetooth headset or ear/headphones that supports this profile, you can listen to your music wirelessly thru a media player on your Pocket PC. The audio quality and your mileage may vary though.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 PM
DarkHelmet
Ponderer

Hooray! An OEM that updates ROM images to fix deficiencies in the original shipping OS...

Hey Dell - did you see that?

Old 05-05-2006, 02:52 PM
WorksForTurkeys
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet
Hooray! An OEM that updates ROM images to fix deficiencies in the original shipping OS...

Hey Dell - did you see that?
Quanta has issued more real and timely ROM updates since the Atom was released, than Dell, Palm and HP have released for any of their models during their product lifecycles. Their responsiveness has been the most reliable and swift that I've received for any of the PDAs I've ever owned.

Each of the Atom ROM updates has provided a massive performance and feature improvement over the previous release. I'll be installing this one as soon as the download finishes; I just wish they had more bandwidth for their downloads - 17kbs sux. :wink:

Old 05-05-2006, 06:26 PM
saru83
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTamas
MSFP is Messaging & Security Feature Pack, as known as Direct Push which provides a Blackberry-alike....
Thanks for the heads up :wink:

Old 05-06-2006, 08:52 PM
rickO
Neophyte
Default how did it fare?

did the upgrade fix many issues?? like the camera starting time and the occasional hanging? if yes, how long does it take the atom to load the cam app and save pics? thanks guys! i almost forgot, how about the voice reception? is it still low and does it produce echoes?? thanks again!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:03 AM
WorksForTurkeys
Intellectual
Default Re: how did it fare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickO
did the upgrade fix many issues?? like the camera starting time and the occasional hanging? if yes, how long does it take the atom to load the cam app and save pics? thanks guys! i almost forgot, how about the voice reception? is it still low and does it produce echoes?? thanks again!
mine seems to startup fasters after a soft reset, and I seem to have more memory available after installing all my "optional" software. the Wireless Manager communications today plugin is far superior to Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi Utility that I had to go thru everytime I wanted to cycle the wifi and BT earlier.

I think the only way WM5 is going to stop occassionally hanging, and soft resetting, is for someone else to write the OS: if WM5 didn't soft reset periodically, I'd start looking for a "Linux Inside" label somewhere. :wink:

The OS feels "tighter" now.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:15 AM
William Yeung
Intellectual

I think Atom is not a good device- I heard many terrible reports about Atom usage. With a 416 mhz processor I can hardly imagine how they come up with a device thats slower (or even par) to a Dopod 838 (aka HTC Wizard). They improves a lot during rom fix, but that also means they dont spend enough time to test at the beginning! Also the hardware built quality is just not matching with HTC for the moment.

I think afterall its a wrong decision for O2 Asia to abandon HTC and go to Quanta. I have indeed stay away from O2 device since then

I am using Dopod 838 with latest chinese ROM (AKU2, without A2DP yet), its really the most stable device I got- I can finally expect a reasonable stability as a phone. Thats the first pocket pc phone that pass my line. My last HP 6365 is POS (piece of s...) in terms of bluetooth stability.

Anyone can say something about Atom's stability now?