Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default PCW Reviews the Samsung Q1 Ultra-Mobile PC

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-compu...ultra-mobile-pc

In my opinion, the first generation UMPCs don't seem all that special. PCW managed to get some hands-on time with the Samsung Q1, and despite the so-so battery life, processing power, and storage capacity, they still gave it a 4/5 rating. Although I'm still considering a UMPC for my work, I'm definitely going to wait until some of the later generations are released, and in addition, Windows Vista. But what about you? Are any of you planning on doing the same, or instead, jumping on the UMPC bandwagon now by purchasing a first generation model?

Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

You know, its weird but after six years on the PocketPC now, I have found myself reliant on the applications available for that platform. The apps on a full PC aren't that appealing any more. Back then, a full blown PC the size of a PDA would have been killer. But now, going to a PC as my PDA would actually be a step back in terms of applications and functionality.

The mini PC's still have a place, like you said, at work and such. But for every day portabilty use, PPC's are more useful.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 AM
CTSLICK
Sage

I am interested in this but not as a PDA. I am really looking for something small and quiet that I can take to meetings, scribble some notes and mark up some documents. Is that one of the targets here?

I am not convinced the first gen devices are gonna hit the mark nor am I convinced that the first gen devices will generate enough momentum for there to be a second gen. Price point will probably be too high and the "right" technology still seems a few years off.

Sidenote: As a left hander I look at the lay out and realize that the little joystick thingy is gonna stink...tough to use in conjunction with pen input. Maybe one of the manufacturers will be smart enough to design one that can be used rotated 180 degrees.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSLICK
I am interested in this but not as a PDA. I am really looking for something small and quiet that I can take to meetings, scribble some notes and mark up some documents. Is that one of the targets here?
This pretty much describes one of the main uses I can see for these type of devices. Although I use my PPC for this quite a lot, I could certainly do with something with more screen real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSLICK
I am not convinced the first gen devices are gonna hit the mark nor am I convinced that the first gen devices will generate enough momentum for there to be a second gen. Price point will probably be too high and the "right" technology still seems a few years off.
Price, price, price - I think this is going to be the killer. The first Gen UMPCs that look like being available where I am, in Oz, look like costing as much as a fairly well speced laptop (up to and even over AU$2,000) and about the same as some of the cheaper tablet PCs. Hard to imagine what the incentive would be to go with a UMPC in that situation even if you had the bucks to spend.

I suspect that even if there is a second generation, the price will go up if anything. To be a realist option for me these devices would have to come in somewhere not too far above the cost of a top end PPC device (say, AU$7-800, but definately under AU$1,000) and I just cannot see that happening.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:09 AM
gt24
Ponderer

Price is a concern but luckly the article did mention a price, at the top.

From a Google conversion... UK� 799 = 1,453.94 U.S. dollars

Yeah, I'm not interested in this device anymore. I'll take an older tablet PC (perhaps), a laptop (more likely), or a PDA (most likely) over this device because for that price I would expect a lot more, like an external optical drive included, a keyboard and mouse included, and decent performance. It just seems like a slow, barely noisy, underpowered and overpriced device...

Ah well.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:09 AM
tmmburke
Neophyte
Default Why not a Tablet PC?

I am very skeptical of any device that only has a resolution of 800x480. There are very few applications these days that support such a low resolution (480 that is). It has to be at least 800x600 to be useful. I had this problem with the OQO and ended up putting it into a virtual screen mode to get any application to work with it. THis as a real pain since I was contasntly scrolling up and down to see the display area. I suggest a full-blown Tablet PC like the Motion Computing LS800. It's sligltly bigger than these UMPC devices but has a nice useable display.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 AM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Welcome to Windows CE 1.0

Dosen't anyone see this?
Say all the negativity you want about this, but it's not going to go away.
This is what some people have been wanting from the very beginning at microsoft - a full fledge copy of Windows funning on a very small portable device - or the UMPCs.

Microsoft will keep dumping money into this area until these truely become as usable as any PDA of today, but only a hundred times better. Sure MS has a long way to go - but seeing how this will be another source of large revenue for Microsoft (more full copies of Windows and office vs WM the ryalties of WM only) they will invest in the long term in this area of mobility.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:30 AM
christak
Theorist

I really want to like this, but for the price and capabilities it currently offers I'm not jumping to buy one... I'm guessing the previous post is correct; these things will improve with time... I hope so...
8)

Old 05-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

I'm not sure if this is OT, I just saw something similar that's more palatable in cost if not features:

http://www.pepper.com/products/pepper.html

Interesting that it's running an Intel mobile processor with Linux - a bit like the Sharp devices, but much, much bigger.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:22 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I think these machines are going to fly. I have an order in on the Tablet Kiosk. It's $999 and 2lbs. That rocks :rock on dude!:

Since I'll be using this for mostly work, it will work out just fine. The PocketPC is pretty cool, but for my goals, it has too many compromises. And if you want to develop anything for it, there's another system you have to learn to program. Any app you develop for your PC will work for the UMPC. No problem.

Yes, the UMPC is by no means perfect, but I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. DualCor had my business until their reseller taxed an extra $500 for the device, making the DualCor an ultra-premium device. But the device rocks! I'd pay an extra $500 over the Tablet Kiosk for an extra 500MHz AND extra 30 - 60 minutes of battery life. But not $1000.

My Windows Mobile thirst is currently being dealt with by my new T-Mobile SDA. Way cool and for a phone/PDA, will work fine until my Tablet Kiosk arrives in June. Put in a 1GB MiniSD and I now have an iPOD too! But why oh why do they have to put that lame 2.5" headphone jack in there? :evil:

Dang nabbit, when is battery technology going to improve? :evil: