Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Orb 1.01.0671 Released

http://www.orb.com/get_orb/whats_new/

Despite the seemingly insignificant version numbering, the latest Orb update (v1.01.0671) offers a significant collection of new and improved features that all Orb users should enjoy. If you don't know what Orb is, check out the "What is Orb?" page at the Orb Networks web site. In addition, Jason Dunn and Dave Conger talk about it in their latest ThoughtCast, so you may want to download it and hear what they have to say about the service.

In Orb v1.01.0671, you'll find a new upload/download file browser add-on, support for non-MPEG2 and DVB-T TV tuners, UPnP port configuration, stop and resume functionality in media streams, enhanced contacts support (Gmail, Outlook, Outlook Express, Opera, Thunderbird, Yahoo, and Skype), new video sharing capabilities (similar to the existing photo sharing feature), support for Wake-on-LAN (WOL), support for OTA ATSC digital tuners and high-definition TV channels, new picture saving options (single picture, or entire picture folders), updated AccuWeather and Bookmarks add-ons, full support for 3GP video streaming, custom Internet radio, custom Internet TV channels, and more.

These new features are great. They do seem a little overwhelming, but if you get a chance, definitely check out some of the more significant ones such as the file browser add-on and the video sharing capabilities. You'll soon realise that Orb is more than the standard media streaming service that it once was. And, best of all, it's free. :way to go:

Old 04-23-2006, 12:47 PM
prototype
Ponderer
Default $$?

I've been using Orb for a few months now and I think it is awesome.

But here is my question ... how do they make $$ with it?

All these streaming connections must keep their bandwith bill pretty high. I see a lot of parnterships but no ads or revenue streams.

Is it going to go pay once they get enough people addicted??

Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Darius Wey
Default Re: $$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype
But here is my question ... how do they make $$ with it?

All these streaming connections must keep their bandwith bill pretty high. I see a lot of parnterships but no ads or revenue streams.
When Orb was first announced, it cost $9.95 per month. The company was worried about bandwidth and support requirements, and they didn't have much experience with revenue models beyond standard customer subscriptions.

As time passed, they realised they set their expectations a little too high, so they scrapped the price tag and made it free for public use, which brings me on to my next point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype
Is it going to go pay once they get enough people addicted??
Orb will remain free. When the costs start to build up, the company will cover it by using:

(1) Unobtrusive advertising - for example, how Google and Yahoo work their ad services. I don't think we'll have to watch an ad before every video stream, because the company intends on making sure that ads do not inhibit the overall user experience. Instead, the ads are most likely going to reside on the Orb user page and rely on the "page impressions + clicks" revenue model.

(2) Content subscriptions. I'm not sure how this will work, but the thinking behind it is that customers will be able to purchase special content through Orb in the future - maybe with an online music or video store, or access to special TV stations.

Much like how Hotmail works, you don't need to "submit" yourself to either of the two revenue-making schemes. For example, you can use Hotmail without clicking the ads. And you can still use Hotmail without subscribing to the premium service. They are simply options that exist for people who are interested. Orb will operate behind the same principle.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

So with this new file upload/download feature, I don't have to have Orb and Avvenu installed on my PC? That'd save some resources...

Old 04-23-2006, 06:30 PM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

this all sounds to good to be true... i will only start to use this after i understand why it is free, because the way i see it, if i can see my files on orb, then they can to and maybe they can see more than what i let them, call me paranod, but i am not sure what they are doing with my info/files, sharing it with advertisers or even the government. sounds weird that they started it with no ads. but i guess they could do the same if there were ads. i think i will clean up my harddrive/computer then start this program.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:33 PM
q-live
Thinker

they do have some advertisments for example. When you pick one of your videos you want to see they have a place where you can see all the new movie previews, also they have different tv channels you can watch thats not connected to your tv. I think all of these things pay them some money i also think they get revenue from accuweather.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 PM
pheral
Ponderer
Default ooh!

Wow, this looks brilliant. I hate bogging my systems down with heavy video content and i want to keep my pda as light as possible, but i love viewing my avis and mpegs on the go... plus it's all public domain tv type stuff anyway so i don't mind it being on Orb's servers. This is going to be perfect for me... thanks for the headsup, i'd not know it existed otherwise! Whee!

Old 04-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by isajoo
this all sounds to good to be true... i will only start to use this after i understand why it is free, because the way i see it, if i can see my files on orb, then they can to and maybe they can see more than what i let them, call me paranod, but i am not sure what they are doing with my info/files, sharing it with advertisers or even the government. sounds weird that they started it with no ads. but i guess they could do the same if there were ads. i think i will clean up my harddrive/computer then start this program.
So, your concerns are valid. I'm sure 99% of all Orb users have expressed the same thoughts before.

Back when Orb was launched, I had a good, hard look at their privacy policy. Here are a couple of key points worth reading:

"Orb creates a thumbprint (irreversible signature which contains no media content) that is used to dynamically update your personalized index of files. Thumbprints do not contain any personally identifiable information such as your name, the subject of the content or the content file itself."

"We may provide your personally identifiable information that we collect and the data generated by cookies to the vendors and service agencies that we may engage to assist us. For example, we may provide your personally identifiable information to an organization in order to complete a service (e.g., process your payment). Any organization to which we provide such personally identifiable information is also required to treat your personally identifiable information in accordance with this privacy policy. We will also disclose your personally identifiable information if we reasonably believe we are required to do so by law, regulation or other government authority. We will not sell your personally identifiable information to any other company or organization except we may transfer your personally identifiable information to a successor entity upon a merger, consolidation or other corporate reorganization in which Orb participates or to a purchaser of all or substantially all of Orb's assets. Such successor entity shall be bound by the terms and conditions of this privacy policy.

Now that last paragraph is the more significant of the two. Your personally identifiable information may be passed on to third-party organisations and government bodies, but only for the purposes of content provision and law enforcement. I doubt the former would be invasive as a lot of other content services in the market work off the same principle. As for the latter, you'd have to do something pretty bad - you know, bring down a server, unlawfully access another person's computer, etc.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM
pheral
Ponderer
Default ummm...

I'm now going to ask what can probably be classified as a really dumb question. Feel free to laugh, i already am, and i'm the one asking it.
When using Orb to stream your PC content to your PDA, does your PC have to be switched on?

There. Said it. Shall await guffaws. :s

Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Darius Wey
Default Re: ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheral
When using Orb to stream your PC content to your PDA, does your PC have to be switched on?
No guffaws from me. It's a decent question.

And yes, your PC does have to be switched on while streaming.