Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default Has "Palm Pilot" Just Been Easier to Say Than "Pocket PC?"

I remembered watching Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle on cable recently and stumbled on a scene where Cameron Diaz retreives a Pocket PC from a locker and shouts, "Palm Pilot!" (Further explanation here). Of course, true mobile device connoisseurs such as ourselves would declare blasphemy. But, over the last few years when people have asked me what gadget I'm holding in my hand, I do notice that it's harder to roll the words "Pocket PC" off my tongue than it would be to say "Palm Pilot," had it been one. Add our latest, supposed catch phrases, "Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC" and "Windows Mobile-Powered Pocket PC," and you'll probably see why the script writers will choose "Palm Pilot" instead.

Perhaps our "WMDs" don't get enough (or proper) exposure in the media because they're too complicated for the average person? Imagine how the movie Little Black Book would be if she was sporting around his i-mate JASJAR instead, yet another comparatively difficult phrase to say in a film (not like the director would even allow that, nor is the device little or black). Do you give an easier name or description of your device when asked? Do you have a hard time explaining to people what device you have?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Great topic! When asked, I always just say "Pocket PC". If they ask more, I say it's running Windows Mobile, a special Microsoft operating system. But I never try to cram all that into one description. And now that Pocket PCs are more common, it's not QUITE so unusual a device that people haven't ever heard of it before.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:09 PM
piperpilot
Sage

I go even more generic and tell them that it's my PDA. If they ask what that is, I don't even attempt to explain it, although I might tell them what the acronym stands for.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
aroma
Thinker
Default Re: Has "Palm Pilot" Just Been Easier to Say Than "Pocket PC?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
Do you give an easier name or description of your device when asked?
Oh yeah... I definately have a nickname for my little device! I thought all guys did! :wink: :devilboy:

OK... that was bad. I just couldn't resist.

:dilemma:

Old 04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
JD Silver
Ponderer

I use the term PDA, and provide more information if they are interest. Palm Pilot has the "product identification" just like kleenex or xerox, and it will be pretty difficult to move the media into greater precision.

If interest is expressed, I'll usually explain the differences between Palm OS and WM, focusing mainly on multitasking with a demo.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 PM
makic
Ponderer

I use "Handheld" typically. Sometimes "Ipaq."

Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
bkerrins
Intellectual

I say it's my phone

Old 04-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Felix Torres
Mystic

I call it what it is; a Pocket PC.
If asked, I say its a pocket-sized computer.
Which is exactly what it is.

Most are satisfied with that; a pocket-sized computer is a simpler concept to relay than trying to explain acronyms and varieties of Windows to people that just aren't interested in that much detail.
If they have enough tech familiarity to inquire further, then I explain it runs the mobile version of Windows, not the desktop version.

Otherwise, I try to avoid the TMI syndrome. ;-)

Old 04-21-2006, 06:28 PM
ddhsoftware
Pupil

I have to agree that not even the platform, but the device name matters. I think the term iPAQ was the last product name for a Pocket PC device that had that easy to say connotation. That really does matter- look at all the iPod wannabees, how many have actually tried to come up with a product name instead of a model number? The consumer side of me can't understand it, but the business side of me knows how much harder it is to secure a name than a product number!

Old 04-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Tony Rylow
Editor Emeritus

I usually just call it my phone, or if they ask what kind, usually just give them Pocket PC.