Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default Palm Treo 700w Firmware Update 1.10 Now Available

http://www.palm.com/us/support/down...er/verizon.html

Palm has finally released the first firmware update for the Treo 700w for Verizon (well, it's the only carrier right now). Microsoft's MSFP for Direct Push Email, better memory management, and a few more enhancements make it worth the download. :mrgreen: Sorry, no A2DP in this release, though.

Make sure you have your Treo 700w's serial number handy (on the back of your device, behind the battery), as you will need it in order to download. See you on the other side!

UPDATE: It seems that the update was pulled from Palm's website. You can begin to speculate why this has happened... Too many failed updates turning Treos into paperweights? The update was still buggy, or they didn't catch a critical issue, or perhaps created a new one? They wanted to add A2DP? They forgot to add Verizon's special crippling sauce? Your guess is as good as mine... :?:

Old 04-20-2006, 04:10 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Sure, they release it the one night I didn't have time. :P I'll be installing this tomorrow night, for sure.

Did you notice it's designed to preserve data while upgrading? 8O

--janak

Old 04-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Sure, they release it the one night I didn't have time. :P I'll be installing this tomorrow night, for sure.

Did you notice it's designed to preserve data while upgrading? 8O

--janak
Oh sweet! I have to upgrade one next week, so let me know how the upgrade with data preservation goes, or let me know if you bork it. :lol:

Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

Some things you may or may not know about the 1.10 Update...

1. You don't have to take out the battery to retreive the serial number. Go to the About button on the System tab in the Settings Panel, and you'll find your device's serial number in the Phone tab.

2. All the data was preserved before the update (I saw a "RegSave" window pop-up before the upgrade was executed), and restored down perfectly.

3. Update did take nearly a full 30 minutes.

4. If you have a USB cable that comes off comparatively easy from your Treo 700w, I suggest you perform the update away from kids, away from yourself if you have a tendency to be klutzy, on the middle of a table, with the AC adapter and USB cable close to the PC as well as your Treo. If you're on a notebook, prevent Suspend Mode from closing the lid, make sure you're notebook is on AC power, too, disable any screensaver, and prevent yourself from surfing or using the PC while the update is in progress. Did I forget anything?

5. Wireless Manager in Connections applet now toggles Bluetooth, Phone, and Both.

6. Direct Push Email. Enough said.

7. Simple PIN passwords can now be entered either on-screen or via the keyboard automatically in numeric keypad mode.

8. Software version will show Treo 700W-1.10-VZW and Windows Mobile 5.1.195 (Build 14929.2.2.1).

9. Memory management is improved and leak appears to be resolved.

10. A USBSwitch application sits in the Programs folder to switch between Serial USB and RNDIS USB mode. Explanation, anyone?

11. Windows Media Player is version 10.2 build 14929.

12. Tapping on the battery icon on the Menu Bar actually shows a Battery Status balloon with the battery percentage and charging status.

13. A full version of Sprite Backup 5.0.1 build 1338 specifically for the Palm Treo 700w is available on Palm's website.

14. An updated version of Picsel PDF Viewer 1.1.1 is available on Palm's website, and fixes Memory Full errors and other issues.

15. The Lock feature (previously called Password) will activate and lock itself after a certain time, even when the device is in AC mode (charging).

Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
10. A USBSwitch application sits in the Programs folder to switch between Serial USB and RNDIS USB mode. Explanation, anyone?
In ActiveSync 4.x, the RNDIS model was adopted for Pocket PC / PC connections, but it caused some conflicts with firewalls and network settings (which I'm sure you've heard plenty about). This USB mode switch allows the user to switch back to serial in an attempt to solve the problem.

Off-topic: HP also included a similar mode switch application in a recent update for the rx1900 series.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
bvkeen
Intellectual

Looking forward to it, although may wait until weekend.

Raphael: thank you for the details. Sounds like a very worthwhile update.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

You know, I don't even have a 700w, yet I'm still pi$$ed that yet again another device, another patch and no A2DP. What exactly is the problem with vendors getting this thing deployed? :evil:

Old 04-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Oh sweet! I have to upgrade one next week, so let me know how the upgrade with data preservation goes, or let me know if you bork it. :lol:
Sounds like Raphael already tried it. I'm thinking of hard resetting anyway -- I find ROM updates a good time to refresh all the software and configurations on a device, and I can do it pretty quickly now.

--janak

Old 04-20-2006, 04:44 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

It worked great for me. Shocked that it kept my data...now that's what I'm talking about.

As for AD2P, my understanding is that its too CPU intensive for many PDAs. I might be very very wrong, though

Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

I can't seem to install. I keep getting the error message "Treo 700w Updater.msi" not found