Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Options For Using Your PPC as a USB Mass Storage Device / Card Reader

If you had asked me a year ago what feature I wanted most in my Pocket PC, I would have unhesitatingly answered that I wanted the device to be able to function as a card reader when plugged into computers that did not have Activesync installed. I envisioned that this would make me way more productive as I'd never have to carry around a USB key again. It turns out that I was a bit wrong, since realizing that I found this feature cool more than actually needed it. Still, its a really nice feature when I do have the need for it, and I know a lot of people that would consider it a lifesaver.

Currently there are two programs on the market that allow you to do this with your Pocket PC. Softick Card Export II (There never was a I release for PPC, so you didn't miss anything) and a new program named WM5torage . The newer of the pair, WM5torage is freeware and only works on WM 5 (And apparently on smartphones as well). Softick's product, which was released last summer (And purchased by me within 48 hours of its release) supports WM 2003 devices and costs $14.95. I've been very pleased with Softick's release schedule (Releasing an update every 2 months or so), and their stated support for newer devices as they become available. I haven't had the chance to try WM5torage much, but it appears to be popular with those of us who have WM 5 devices and don't wish to buy software when a free alternative exists!

Are you interested in this type of functionality? Drawn in because it's cool? Use it every day? Let me know - I'm pretty curious as to how much use this software is, now that many laptops & desktops are coming with builtin card readers.

Note: This software is not the same as Deje's driver which allows your PPC to read USB Mass Storage devices, not to act as one!

Old 04-04-2006, 02:45 AM
carphead
Thinker

I'm with you Jon. I too brought Cafd Export with in a couple of days. I thought it would be really handy but I've used it about a dozen times.

Its because I brought a u3 stick a month later and that's more usefu and plugged on most of the time

Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 AM
applejosh
Philosopher

I used this kind of functionality on my Palm all the time. Card Export II (for the Palm devices) worked like a charm. I never tried it on my iPAQ (it had a Samsung processor which wasn't supported in the PPC version), and I haven't gotten around to trying it on the new X51v. I just read about the WM5torage software (although I thought it was only for Smartphones), but I'll probably wait for some feedback from more adventurous individuals (WM5 is enough of an adventure for me at the moment).

Old 04-04-2006, 06:30 AM
mrozema
Intellectual

The version of Card Export for PPC is fantastic! I am always transfering music and other files to and from my X50 and it all works so much faster than Active Sync. Its definitely worth the money!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

I lost my USB drive some time ago - I haven't missed it at all.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:27 AM
beq
Oracle

Is it true all PPCs only connect at USB 1.1 speed?

If not, can current PPCs support the full read/write speeds of today's high speed SD cards (60x, 120x, etc), when connected as a USB mass storage device and accessed on the desktop PC?

Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 AM
dnacpil
Pupil

Card Export II PPC is definitely a "MUST HAVE" on my X50v!! My laptop only has a SD card reader and this app makes my X50v a CF & SD Card reader. It's 2 things less to carry...a card reader & usb jumpdrive. I use it everyday and it's very reliable.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 AM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

well if it is true about all ppc being usb1.1 then that would explain why it takes SOOOO long to transfer files from my pc to the ppc using any program that connects through usb... i find for small files i can use total commanders file explorers ftp cleint(free...plus u can stream mp3 audio/videos from any network computer) or activesync both using WIFI no cables... and for large files i just bought a $5 usb2.0 sd card reader, this is MUCH faster... this program that makes a ppc into a usb mass is not really worth it... spend the money on an usb 2.0 card reader and keep it with you, because its smaller than carrying a sync cable to connect through usb. buy 2 or 3 card readers... same price as the software.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Not all ppcs - the iPaq hx4700 has USB2 transfer speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isajoo
spend the money on an usb 2.0 card reader and keep it with you, because its smaller than carrying a sync cable to connect through usb
I don't agree - while there are some very small card readers that cater for SD cards, a multi-card reader is neither as portable and requires it's own cable as well. So if you've got CF cards, then CEII is a very nice piece of software to have.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:07 PM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

I hate to be the pessimist of the bunch but I would rather have this be a built in function on the OS side. Why should you have to load something onto each PC you want to use this on? Its the same reason I HATE using USB drive devices with Windows 98 vrs Windows XP.

I still carry around my USB thumb drive with me everywhere and use it a ton more than my PPC for transfering files and storage just for ease of use sake alone.

Add this into an OS capability and I would probably use it daily. Until then I'll stick with a USB drive.