Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Say Hello to the Dallab DX8

http://www.dallab.com/dx8techspec.html

From Malaysia comes the Dallab DX8. This 113mm x 50mm x 22mm device features an Intel PXA272 416MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, 64MB Flash ROM (odd memory configuration for Windows Mobile 5.0), a 2.2" 262K-colour QVGA (240 x 320) transflective TFT-LCD, IrDA, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2 (Class 2), quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support, a miniSD slot, a 1.3-megapixel camera, and Windows Mobile 5.0. There's one thing for sure - numeric keypad-equipped Phone Edition devices are becoming more prevalent - perhaps a sign that Pocket PCs and Smartphones will one day merge?

Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I didn't know what the Dallab DX8 was until I saw the picture. It's likely a rebranded version of the Axia A308. The countdown at www.vipn.ch is down to 3 days as of this post, and www.myaxia.com doesn't show the A308 in their online store yet. But if it's anywhere around 799 CHF ($600 USD), it's still a pretty choice choice for a GSM Pocket PC Phone for its features.

Question is, how accurate are you going to be with a 2.2" QVGA touchscreen? 8O

Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 PM
hiatus
Pupil

if you go into the pdf brochure in their website, it shows only 64MB RAM and 128MB ROM, so it's not 128MB RAM, so disappointed.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
It's likely a rebranded version of the Axia A308.
IIANM it's quite the opposite, the Axia is a rebranded Dallab:

http://www.dallab.com/cor_170206.html

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Why must you people tease us with devices we'll never see here

Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 AM
r@dimus
Ponderer

I don't know about never seeing it. The color scheme looks awfully familiar. I could see this thing with a Dell logo on it.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:39 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator
Default Re: Say Hello to the Dallab DX8

Speaking as someone who normally doesn't care much for smartphones or PPC phones... Droooool. That's a lot of hardware in a very nice form-factor.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:04 AM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

is that a stylus or a toothpick... why do they make such small devices with so much powerful tool that nobody will use... get a pocket pc with a 3.5" screen and get a crappy cell phone that u can afford to lose or use as a weapon. i am all for new ideas but the designers have to think user freindly. i understand people like small but why would u do anything on a 2.2" screen... maybe this is video ipod killer?

Old 03-30-2006, 04:52 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

I had found the mini screen small. This one is 2.2" !! One needs to be very very accurate when clicking on something. Try to read ebooks in mobipocket at this small display. :lol:

Quote:
why do they make such small devices with so much powerful tool that nobody will use
same thoughts here

Sunny

Old 04-01-2006, 09:25 PM
takwu
Neophyte

I found no problems reading eBooks on my Mio 8390 Smartphone, which has a 2.2" 176x220 screen.

The small screen is not a problem, as long as the software is designed to fit the size. Granted the current software assumes a 3.5 inch screen, but it's only a matter of time before 3rd parties are aware of smaller screens and adapt. The built-in software in PPC has font-size settings, so the standard apps (PIM and inbox etc) have no problem already.

The size is finally small enough for everyone to use. Actually when the Axia A108 came out I wanted to get one already, but the price was too high and the lack of WiFi stopped me. The dallab still has the high price but the added features may justify it. It's a great alternative to Treo if you don't need a thumbboard and would like a proper keypad where you can actually read the numbers.