Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default WebMessenger for Windows Mobile 5.0 Released

http://www.webmessenger.com/wm5.htm

"Webmessenger Mobile Instant Messenger for Windows Mobile 5.0 is a Wireless Instant Messaging application for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices and phones. The application allows you to chat with buddies on all Public IM Networks (AOL, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk and Jabber) and see their online status. Once you login with WebMessenger, you will be logged automatically into all of the IM Networks you have selected."

If you're not a fan of the integrated MSN Messenger client, then you may want to check out the new Windows Mobile 5.0-compatible version of WebMessenger. This multi-network IM application supports advanced contact management, message histories, 3DES encryption, and more. A free trial version is available.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
GregHeidt
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to GregHeidt
Default Nice Start...

I just DL'd it and installed it. Very clean and nice look and feel. Like the way it imports Buddy lists from the approp. service (aol, msn, etc.).

1) The check box - Automatically login on Start up - works fine but there's no way to just login/out of one service that I have found yet.

2) On AOL IM - it will not show the amount of time a buddy has been on-Line or if the buddy is idle and the amount of time the buddy has been idle.

3) On MSN IM - it DOES show that the buddy is either ON-LINE or AWAY. Guess they need to perfect AOLIM yet.

For a start it's great considering there isn't much out there. I'm going to write the developer and see what they have to say. I'll report back when/if I get an answer and see how the C/S is.

Greg
SRQ/FL - getting HOT down here!

Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM
gilbertovp
Pupil

Just a question, does Webmessenger store the login information locally in the PDA or at their servers? I'm not giving out my password to a third-party web site :worried:

Old 03-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

how does it compare to agile messenger?

Old 03-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertovp
Just a question, does Webmessenger store the login information locally in the PDA or at their servers? I'm not giving out my password to a third-party web site :worried:
I finally got a chance to check out their website. It appears that the ppc client is just an interface to their web app. So I think alot of the work is done on their server. I don't think i like this approach very much. Basically I don't think the app will function without their server.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:10 PM
gilbertovp
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
I finally got a chance to check out their website. It appears that the ppc client is just an interface to their web app. So I think alot of the work is done on their server. I don't think i like this approach very much. Basically I don't think the app will function without their server.
Thanks for the information, Jason.