Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default What is Your Favorite Yet Unsuspecting Software on Your Pocket PC?

When most people get a new Pocket PC, or when they decide to hard-reset it to a clean slate, many users will have a few, obvious third-party programs that immediately get installed before anything else does. And, if you joined a forum pending your new Pocket PC purchase, you will likely be advised by other members to pick up some of the most popular programs that they swear by, such as Resco Explorer 2005, Microsoft Voice Command, Tweaks2K2.NET, or Spb Pocket Plus.

But, there will be others who will delve deeper into the Internet and find an obscure page in another language or by some hobbyist coder who created a program, seemingly tailored just for you. Sure, it might not have all the bells and whistles of its commercial counterparts - it might not even look pretty or have a real desktop installer - but it does exactly what it's supposed to do, and eventually becomes a permanent resident in your Pocket PC's main memory.

What are some of the lesser-known programs you have grown to appreciate, or can't live without on your Pocket PC? Whether it be yet another file explorer, RSS aggregator, or task manager, there's something different for everyone, and the discoveries of others may actually surprise you.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:15 AM
abeery
Pupil
Default Three Must Load Titles

1) Pocket Bible by Laridian: Student Pastor so having 12 bible translations and commentaries is essential.

2) Microsoft Reader: Love having library online.

3) SereneScreen for PocketPC (I'm author so I'm bias): Love having fish swim around while my HTC Apache (Verizon 6700) is craddled at my desk at work.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:13 AM
nchummer
Neophyte
Default Favorite S/W on PPC

1) Orb: With EVD0 and a 300 GB hard drive on my home PC, I love being able to watch movies anywhere, anytime.

2)Pocket DVD Studio: needed to convert my DVDs to AVI so that I can watch them on my i730.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

@abeery

I wouldn't call either Laridian or MS Reader as "lesser known" programs.

My list would include:

1. GSFinder+ - the poor man's Resco Explorer. The only things missing are the ftp, network browser and integrated registry editor. Total Commander is a good alternative as well (though I don't like the UI).

2. SP Timesync - like the title, it allows independent syncing of time with an internet connection.

3. MathInput - ok, I haven't actually tried this one yet, but it has me intrigued. It's an SIP that allows the input of math symbols into text.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

WM2003SE Phone Edition = Mort Ring by Mort [xda devs] ~ extends the ringtone and sms functions of a PhoneEd device.
WM5 Phone Edition = NewMenu for WM5 by saman-cz [xda devs] ~ remaps a softkey to launch apps and/or make new items.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 AM
QYV
Intellectual

PQz: http://www.nicque.com/PQz/

I replaced three or four applications with this one - check out what it does:

- Real "close" of apps via hardware button (including "OK" on hardware keyboard).

- Alt-tab-style task switcher (you can also Close or Close All from this).

- Insert Text. Same idea as the Inbox "Insert My Text" but you can use it anywhere. No more typing long phrases repeatedly.

- Ctrl and Alt mapped to any keyboard key (useful for shortcuts in certain programs).

- Select the default SIP in both portrait and landscape.

- Symbol window allows for easy entry of unusual characters when using hardware keyboard.

- Map a key combo to certain system tasks like Restart and Suspend, and also to directly open Settings programs like Power and Memory.

- Press-and-hold functionality for app buttons and softkeys!

There's more than just that, but those are the functions I really like. If you've got an HTC Univeral, be sure to check this out! Oh, and did I mention it's completely free? :mrgreen:

Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Tye
Intellectual

SKMenu; task switcher, cascading menus, assorted small stuff without all the bloat (but still powerful enough to be useful to me).
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16984

Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 AM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

My not-so-well-known must-haves:

Where is my RAM? - oldie but a goodie!
MagicButton - my favourite task-switcher/manager
TotalCommander - all-in-one multi-window file-manager, FTP client, ZIP/unZIP, and registry editor!

All not all that well-known and all free!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:20 AM
carphead
Thinker

Nero Showtime Mobile - It's the only uPNP media player
Mortbuttons - Extends the single handed operation so I can run programs wilst my k-jam is cradled.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:28 AM
dnacpil
Pupil

1. Card Export II PPC by Softick
2. Magic Button (Freeware)
3. File Dialog Changer (Freeware)
4. CalcNote (Freeware) THIS REALLY MAKES MY LIFE ALOT EASIER!)
5. CabInstl (Freeware)
6. NoteM (Freeware) - MP3 Voice Recorder
7. XnView Pocket (Freeware) - Photo Editor
8. JPeg2Pdf (Freeware) - Converts jpeg files to pdf
9. FontOnStorage (Freeware)
10. MultiIE