Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Wikipedia for Mobile Devices

http://www.3g.co.nz/wiki

"Users of Pocket PCs, Smartphones and Java-enabled mobile phones running web browsers can now access a lightweight version of the Wikipedia on-line encyclopaedia. New Zealand-based company Instinct has created a mobile version of Wikipedia for mobile devices, currently available as a beta website. With over 1,025,291 entries it's got pretty much everything users could want to know about, from mercantilism to New Zealand history to Fraggle Rock."

I'm trying to recall how many mobile Wikipedia ports there are, but truth is, I've lost count. Regardless, here's another one to add to your bookmarks.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Mark Johnson
Theorist
Default Re: Wikipedia for Mobile Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
I'm trying to recall how many mobile Wikipedia ports there are, but truth is, I've lost count.
Gee, you'd think there would be a wikipedia article that answers that...
:wink:

Old 03-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Well now, this is a handy resource. I've oft been frustrated by the way Wikipedia appears in Pocket IE, with
one
word
per
line
for
most
pages...

I'll be subbing this link for my old one on my local home page.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:57 AM
ramjet73
Pupil
Default Re: Wikipedia for Mobile Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
I'm trying to recall how many mobile Wikipedia ports there are, but truth is, I've lost count.
Gee, you'd think there would be a wikipedia article that answers that...
:wink:
There is one that sort of does that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

That's a good example of recursion.

ramjet73

Old 03-18-2006, 04:03 PM
AndyH
Pupil

My favorite is the Wikipedia with TomeRaider3. You don't need an internet conection so it's with you all the time. A minor negative is that you need a large storage card since the file with pictures is about 900mb. The other downside is that it is not quite as extensive as the on line version but it has only let me down a couple times.

andy

Old 03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
onepieceman
Ponderer

How do you find the speed with TomeRaider? I have it installed, but it is almost unusably slow. OK if you are desperate to know something and are prepared to wait 30secs, but no good for casual browsing.
Maybe it's my card (I have a 4GB SD Card), or maybe its WM5, or maybe that's just the speed I should expect, hence my interest...

Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I've seen Andy's Wikipedia/Tomeraider in action, tried it a bit on his older iPAQ, and there was no delay at all. Links work as page turning an average novel in ubook, which is really impressive. I'd guess WM5 was the culprit, as it's reportedly slow in a lot of uses.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
onepieceman
Ponderer

That's very interesting. I'll try my SD card in my old XDA2 to see whether it's an OS issue. If that's also slow, I guess I'll put it down to my card. It's lovely and big, but I'm not convinced about its throughput rate.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:10 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepieceman
How do you find the speed with TomeRaider? I have it installed, but it is almost unusably slow. OK if you are desperate to know something and are prepared to wait 30secs, but no good for casual browsing.
Maybe it's my card (I have a 4GB SD Card), or maybe its WM5, or maybe that's just the speed I should expect, hence my interest...
I had this problem and found that fragmentation was the culprit. Use a card reader to copy the contents to your desktop, format the card, and copy it all back.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 PM
AndyH
Pupil

I have found very little difference in speed with TomeRaider3 running WM5 on my Aximx51v.

Andy