Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 03-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger
Default Jason and Dave's ThoughtCast - March 10, 2006

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/tho...ave03102006.mp3

Part two is here in the three part ThoughtCast series on the HP iPAQ hw6900. For those who missed part one, Jason was able to get a prerelease version on the device and this ThoughtCast explores the device and what is brings to the table. In part two we talk about the embedded GPS, battery life, keyboard functionality, and more.

Show notes:
� Review of the HP iPAQ hw6900.
HP iPAQ 6900 Messenger Quick Look Photo Preview.
HP iPAQ hw6900 Specifications.

Direct Link to this show: Download
RSS Feed: PPCT ThoughtCast Feed
Support the Show: Vote @ Podcast Alley

Got questions about the hw6900? Talk back to us about this ThoughtCast or your other thoughts. Skype users can simply place a call to thoughtcast. If you don't have Skype, just call: (425) 296-2462.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Here's the official press release about the hw6900:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr.../060213a.html/

From my Microsoft PR contact: the device is expected to be available in Asia Pacific and Europe, Middle East and Africa regions (EMEA) this spring, and in North America by the summer. No US carriers have yet been announced.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
No US carriers have yet been announced.
This page indicates that Cingular will carry the device as the hw6920 and hw6925. No word yet on an official release date or price.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
msafi
Ponderer

does it have a directional-pad or a joystick in the center? i can't tell from the picture.

thanks,

Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msafi
does it have a directional-pad or a joystick in the center? i can't tell from the picture.
It's a little joystick - I talk about it more in the ThoughtCast...

Old 03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
kevhead
Pupil

Nice, limited review of this device.

Your GPS problem may be due to the Quick GPS Connection application. Be sure you download the latest sat. positions using this application. Something about the GPS hardware uses these files to know where the current position of the sat. are. Unlike other GPS hardware that scans for signals, this assumes the position based on these file downloads.

It will auto download for you and I have not found this to be a downside to the device at all.

NOTE: This information is based on my hw6500 not sure if this new model does this as well.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhead
Your GPS problem may be due to the Quick GPS Connection application. Be sure you download the latest sat. positions using this application. Something about the GPS hardware uses these files to know where the current position of the sat. are. Unlike other GPS hardware that scans for signals, this assumes the position based on these file downloads.
Yeah, I was wondering about that - I just tried it again, downloaded the update, then fired up the GPS and it still couldn't get a connection. Probably just buggy pre-production firmware.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:56 PM
kevhead
Pupil

I use Tom Tom and have great success with it on the hw6500. I dont know about the version that comes with that device, but if you can check the GPS configuration in Tom Tom (Click where the GPS Signal strength meters are). Check and see what if any settings are set there.

Kevin

Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Twain
Ponderer

Jason and Dave,

Enjoyed your Thoughtcast Parts 1 and 2 on this device. Looking forward to Part 3.

In Part 2, there was some question of how much free RAM there was after a reset of the Treo 700w. I have a Treo 700w and can confirm that indeed you were correct: there only remains about 15 MB after a reset. That is a severe memory environment. I have run into "out of memory" errors when using pocket IE. Eventually, the memory is consumed and I have to perform a reset. I have also run out of memory when streaming videos from the web using Windows Media player.

This is one area where Palm could have improved the Treo 700w and should have stuffed at least an additional 16 MB of RAM onto the device. Doing so would have made the web browsing and video media experiences so much better. By contrast, your review indicated the HP 6900 still had 31.44 MB available to users after a reset. This is a much better situation!

Also, I like the idea that the HP 6900 wi-fi capability is built into the device, rather than being available only via a wi-fi card (per the Treo 700w). With the HP approach, I am not forced to choose between using the wi-fi capability (which allows much faster connections) and having an SD card to use.

Any chance that HP is working on a CDMA version of this device for Verizon networks?

Thanks,
Twain

Old 03-15-2006, 09:22 PM
gregh
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to gregh

Evening all,

Been meaning to listen to these podcasts for ages, and finally managed it!

I've been lucky enough to also get a pre-production hw6915 here in the UK.

The GPS has been 100% fine for me from day one, I loaded my TomTom UK maps and have done over 2000 miles using it. The recent ROM update has updated the GPS driver and the lag from the hw65xx series appears to have been fixed

Also mine was brand new, battery life seems very good to me! I've done a whole work day on a battery charge which included phone calls, GPRS data sync and a fair few hours of WiFi usage!

Oh, and I *love* push email, this device is a keeper for me, going to sell my other iPAQ, my Bluetooth GPS Mouse and my Sony p910i to keep this device!

Regards,

Greg