Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default HP to Customers: iPAQs Don't Save Attachments to Memory Cards - It's MS's Fault

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ectID=c00613037

"The HP iPAQ Pocket PC series h2200, hx2000, and hx4700 do not recognize the naming conventions "Secure Digital" (SD) and "Compact Flash" (CF) as storage cards for saving Inbox items such as e-mail and e-mail attachments. Instead of saving these files to the storage cards, the Pocket PC saves them to the HP File Store. This issue occurs because of a Microsoft Inbox limitation that recognizes only "Storage Card" as the single file name for SD and CF cards. This issue is not attributable to the Pocket PC but to the Microsoft Windows Pocket PC Operating System."

If you have an hx4700 series and want to be rid of this pesky problem, HP has a Softpaq ready to rename your storage card, however they are still working on a fix for the 2200 and 2000. Oh the wonder that is the Pocket PC OS.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Huh... the people at HP don't seem to lurking around over at forums and reading user bug reports/solutions to them, do they

I've published a MUCH better solution to this problem almost a year ago; it was, later, also implemented in Tweaks2k2. The solution does not involve the really-really-really lame renaming of the storage card.

Think of it: if you rename the card, you will most probably have to reinstall all your apps on the card. If you're lucky enough, simply changing the file paths in all the storage card-related paths will suffice.

EDIT: the above post may need to be ignored - I may have been referring to another problem, also caused by attempts to store attachments on memory cards. Will later re-edit this message when I am absolutely sure about it.

EDIT 2: yeah, I was right with the original message. EDIT1 may be ignored

Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

The other option is to use a registry editor that supports find/replace and replace all references of the old name with the new one. The Tweaks fix doesn't work on all devices due to timing issues of the storage card. I remember the Tweaks trick didn't work when I had my 4700 a while back.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReeck
The other option is to use a registry editor that supports find/replace and replace all references of the old name with the new one.
It would only update the Registry - not \Windows\Start Menu in the File System.

Quote:
The Tweaks fix doesn't work on all devices due to timing issues of the storage card. I remember the Tweaks trick didn't work when I had my 4700 a while back.
Did you try a pre-3.10.1 version? Previous versions indeed didn't correctly work because of the boot-time cards-are-slow-to-initialize issues. Later versions (which do implement the fix I've published) are supposed to.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
buzz1317
Neophyte

I noticed this same utility for my 6515.
Seems it has effected almost all of the devices with 2003SE on them.
See this link
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...1127_6222.html

Seems like such a stupid error on both parties by not thinking!
Whats in a name?

Old 03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1317
Seems it has effected almost all of the devices with 2003SE on them.
Yup, it affects all devices - not just iPAQ's.

Still, HP's (quite late - given that the exact solution was published almost a year ago...) answer to it, renaming storage cards to a much less meaningful name (which also includes a lot of postprocessing because of the changed filepaths) is really lame.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
Quote:
The other option is to use a registry editor that supports find/replace and replace all references of the old name with the new one.
It would only update the Registry - not \Windows\Start Menu in the File System.

Quote:
The Tweaks fix doesn't work on all devices due to timing issues of the storage card. I remember the Tweaks trick didn't work when I had my 4700 a while back.
Did you try a pre-3.10.1 version? Previous versions indeed didn't correctly work because of the boot-time cards-are-slow-to-initialize issues. Later versions (which do implement the fix I've published) are supposed to.
True, icons owuld have to be recreated.

Its been about nine months now since I had the 4700, so I never had a Tweaks version that worked. Good to see it got fixed.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Its been about nine months now since I had the 4700, so I never had a Tweaks version that worked. Good to see it got fixed.
You mean the Tweaks fix didn't work even then when the Today Messaging plug-in was disabled?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:49 PM
delfuhd
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to delfuhd

is anyone else ecstatic that their ppc (mine as well), the h2200, was actually mentioned in the news!? and that (gasp!) HP is providing some sort of upgrade/fix for it?!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
Quote:
You mean the Tweaks fix didn't work even then when the Today Messaging plug-in was disabled?
To be honest, I do not remember what I tried as it was a while back. Maybe even longer than nine months ago.