Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Cingular 8125 Reviewed By Mobile Tech Review

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/cingular-8125.htm

"Cingular and T-Mobile are fighting for Pocket PC phone lovers' business with their respective versions of the HTC Wizard, both released in Feb. 2006. Cingular got a few weeks' jump on T-Mobile, getting a few into consumers' and business users' hands by the second week of February while the T-Mobile version is officially available Feb. 21. What is a Wizard? It's HTC's codename for this device, and Taiwan-based HTC is the largest ODM of Windows Mobile phones. There's usually very little hardware variation for a given HTC model, only the carrier's software customizations set them apart. For example, the HTC Apache, the Wizard's CDMA cousin for Sprint (PPC-6700) and Verizon (XV6700) in the US are identical other than color. But Cingular's version of the Wizard, differs from T-Mobile's, i-mate's and QTEK's in casing and keyboard (only the Dopod 838 sold in Asia uses the same design). Take a look at our review of the i-mate K-JAM (an import version of the Wizard released last Fall) and you'll notice the difference. Change is often for the better, and the Cingular 8125 looks more polished and has a much more usable keyboard."

While I'm not a big fan of the boxy look of the Wizard 100's vs. the curves of the Wizard 200, I do like that style keyboard more. What is your opinion - is this something that would make you sell your K-Jam and buy an 8125?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:29 PM
szamot
Sage

Personally I would not bother with either. I think that the best bang for the buck and the best all around usability comes from the Treo 650. The single fact that everything on that device can be done with one hand and more so without the aid of the stylus just does it for me.

If any win powered device comes close to matching that sort of operational ease and usability I will gladly go back but for now I will stick with Treo. It simply works which is more that what I can say for the PPC Phones I tried to make work.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:09 PM
adamz
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
Personally I would not bother with either. I think that the best bang for the buck and the best all around usability comes from the Treo 650. The single fact that everything on that device can be done with one hand and more so without the aid of the stylus just does it for me.

If any win powered device comes close to matching that sort of operational ease and usability I will gladly go back but for now I will stick with Treo. It simply works which is more that what I can say for the PPC Phones I tried to make work.
I don't like how you can't multitask on the Treo 650 though. I mean, you have to specifically turn on Bluetooth Dial Up Networking in order to connect your laptop... and then your bluetooth headset won't work when that's on. Also, it can only sync the Calendar and Email with Exchange over the air... and even then the calendar syncing is a bit buggy. Plus you have to run a different program for text messages than emails... there's no voice dialing, much less voice recognition or any kind of voice dialing via a Bluetooth headset.

Personally, I'm way beyond the Wizard devices at this point. They're too thick. The Prophet is where it's at! The only thing missing from the Wizard is the slide out keyboard, but yet you get so much more; more powerful Bluetooth implementation (headset functions behind walls with no static!), way way better camera, non-slip hard rubber body, better screen, and a much more user-friendly hardware button layout optimized for one-handed usage. Granted the HTC Apache and Palm 700w have the same button layout, but the Prophet is much smaller and lighter.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:11 AM
jasondearyou
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to jasondearyou Send a message via MSN to jasondearyou

i like this device, it has a large screen and seems to be a solid. may choose it over the loox 800. 0X

Old 02-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

For the first time today, I held an 8125 in my hand, and I actually thought it was much nicer in person than the pictures led me to believe. It still screams "prototype," but it definitely is a worthwhile contender.

HOWEVER, I walked over to the Verizon Wireless booth, and while the Treo 700w was decent, it was the 6700 that really made me consider returning to the Dark Side. The Wizard is the GSM equivalent to the Apache in the CDMA world, and I must say, the GSM world got shafted with this one. The design and feel of the Apache, not even mentioning the true XScale processor, is superior across the board to the Wizard. When I powered on the camera and saw the frame rate, I was stunned. When the rep allowed me to surf around using EV-DO, I felt envy that I haven't had in a long time.

The rep even offered me an extra $100 if I bought it today with an unlimited data plan. It comes out to $79.99 with 450 minutes, which is decent, but I couldn't make the decision just yet...

Old 02-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

I am considering this ppc from Cingular because I am tired of carrying two devices. This would meet my needs for outlook syncing, email, and IM. I have always enjoyed Cingular service so another carrier does not interest me.
Spending $299.99 is better than the $$$ for the HP Messenger.

I have not been by the store yet to check it out, that will make a big difference in my final decision. I do not want to spend a lot of money right now on a new device.

I do not like the treo.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:08 AM
inteller
Banned

i really tire of the "well the 650 is better so nyaaaaa.." The 650 is going away. end of story....palm OS is dead. So I really hope for all the 650 users' sake the 700w is perfect for them.

I also tire of all the one handed jibe....are all 650 users one armed? There is nothing that you could possibly doing with that other hand that is so important that you need one handed operation. (self gratification doesn't count)

The 8125 is super. Coming from Sprint I miss the voice quality, but other than that I can't complain at all about the device.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:53 AM
jeremyjoslin
Pupil

Just sold my Treo 650 and picked up the 8125. Best decision I've made in a long time. I've also used the x50, x50v, and Blue Angel w/ WM5. The 8125 feels about as fast as my x50 and slightly better than the BA. This is with minimal apps installed and no Today apps.

Maybe it is still the newness of it, but I think this may be may favorite phone/PDA yet. If they could increase the specs on the cam and double the processor speed, this would be perfect. Until then, it's pretty darn close.

Just my two cents from the last week of heavy useage.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:19 AM
DuaneAA
Pupil

When is Cingular going to come out with one with a VGA screen and 3G data rate? That's what I want. (And preferably without a camera so I can carry into my office.) Hopefully such a device will be out before the end of the year and I will just wait.

Duane

Old 02-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Kursplat
Intellectual

All of the "this device is better then that device" is all fine and good; but we really need to address the important issues...

What the heck is an ODM?

Quote:
HTC is the largest ODM of Windows Mobile phones