¹ Could Anyone Spare a Tune? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Could Anyone Spare a Tune?

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/COLUMNISTS17/703030381

"A few weeks ago, Newsweek technology columnist Steven Levy spoke to a group of Microsoft employees about the iPod and the book he wrote about Apple's music player. During his talk, Levy pulled out his Zune, the new pocket music and video player that Microsoft hopes will give the iPod some competition... But guess what? Even in an auditorium full of Microsofties, Levy's Zune couldn't find another Zune to talk to. Levy wrote on his blog that when he told the crowd that his Zune was feeling lonely, one person eventually popped up and sent him a song. It made me wonder: If the people who make and sell the Zune aren't buying into the music-player community idea, what's the chance that the rest of us will?"

Oo-oo!  I know this one!  Slim to none, right?  Ric Manning goes on to say that even though the song-swapping process is smooth, that's not why he'd buy a Zune.  I agree wholeheartedly, Ric.  Microsoft keeps touting the Zune's WiFi sharing capabilities, but it's been implemented so poorly that geeks like us don't see anything special about it, and people less in the know are likely to find it a frustrating experience.  I bought a Zune because of its great screen and sturdy build quality.  I certainly didn't buy it because there are all these Zunes floating about waiting to share their songs with me.    I've never even turned my Zune's WiFi on.  I think I would have found an AM radio more useful...