Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Cingular Officially Announces the 8100 Series

http://www.cingular.com/8125

"Cingular Wireless today expanded its Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 portfolio with the introduction of the EDGE- enabled Cingular 8100 series Pocket PCs with integrated Wi-Fi. The Cingular 8100 series Pocket PCs are fully featured yet cost-effective converged communications devices that provide end-users with dual high-speed wireless data capabilities on a global scale. They feature a full QWERTY "slider" keyboard, the latest Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system, integrated Wi-Fi, Bluetooth support, quad-band international coverage, and EDGE, the largest high-speed national wireless data network in the U.S. Cingular's nationwide EDGE network is available in 13,000 cities and towns and along nearly 40,000 miles of major highways. The introduction of the Cingular 8100 series Pocket PCs comes on the heels of the launch of the Cingular 2125 Smartphone, the first wireless device in North America to feature the Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system for Smartphones."

Click above for a list of specifications.

The Cingular 8100 series has just been officially announced, and two versions will be available through B2B starting Friday, February 10, and through Cingular retail stores by the end of February. Both are based on the HTC Wizard, with the 8100 lacking the 1.3-megapixel camera present in the 8125. Starting price is $299 with a two-year contract and qualified rate plan.

In the first half of 2006, Cingular will release the Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) for the 8100 series. This will enable direct push-email support, among other things. The 8100 series also marks the first of a series of Windows Mobile 5.0-based devices that Cingular will introduce in 2006.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 AM
victore
Theorist

I noticed that in the press release that the 8125 is 802.11b instead of g. Do you think that Cingular is limiting it's speed through software or hardware? Does the speed decrease make this a "no buy" for some folks?

Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Duddy
Intellectual

Actually, it's the 200mhz OMAP in this thing that makes me upset. But I have no choice but to get this phone.

I have to sign a new 2 year contract with Cingular and this is the only phone that will do everything my SMT5600 and Axim X50 does. This way I only have to carry around 1 device all the time.

I'm selling my Axim and SMT5600 to get this thing, and from what I have heard on HowardForums, people seem to either like or dislike it. Most the people that don't like it are the ones that ahve used the Treo 650. They hate using 2 hands to operate.

Gimme Voice Command and a Bluetooth headset and I'll make sure I never have to touch the screen.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

T-Mobile's version (the Vario) IMO is the ugliest. Cingular, Sprint, Qwest and Verizon's versions of this phone are either a slick black color or the keyboard matches the face (and has better looking keys).

Old 02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy
Actually, it's the 200mhz OMAP in this thing that makes me upset. But I have no choice but to get this phone.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how responsive the device is.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
fone_fanatic
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to fone_fanatic Send a message via Yahoo to fone_fanatic

i'm currently using the imate kjam with cingular and its a pretty nice device. Yah processor is slower thanothers but you can deal with it. Its not as slow as a lot of these online reviews have set it out to be. I also have a Jam and a sp3i, after i got the kjam, i gave my jam away to a friend and haven't touched the sp3i, so yah, its a good device.

About the wireless, i heard the same thing as well, that it was limitted to b. My kjam was limitted to B as well, although in the specs it as 802.11b/g/e/i. Had to do a registry edit to get it to actually go up to g speeds.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by victore
I noticed that in the press release that the 8125 is 802.11b instead of g. Do you think that Cingular is limiting it's speed through software or hardware? Does the speed decrease make this a "no buy" for some folks?
It's probably a software limitation. This particular version of the HTC Wizard (100/110) supports 11g, and as suggested earlier, a registry tweak should do the trick. But realistically, unless you're going to use Wi-Fi for something other than standard internet browsing, the 11Mbps vs. 54Mbps difference probably won't matter.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic
Default Re: Cingular Officially Announces the 8100 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
In the first half of 2006, Cingular will release the Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) for the 8100 series.
First half? Darius, are you simply giving a broad ETA or is this what Cingular is saying?

I've been keeping my hopes up that it'll be several weeks rather than several months. Of course I've been hoping that for several weeks already.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Darius Wey
Default Re: Cingular Officially Announces the 8100 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson
First half? Darius, are you simply giving a broad ETA or is this what Cingular is saying?
That's what Cingular is saying. Better hope they don't mean June 30.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
eustts
Intellectual

With the question marks still remaining on the RIM vs. NTP patents issues still up in the air, I really hope that the tellco's are going to offer MDA/SDA as a replacement/competitor to the Blackberry.

With the release date of MSFP from a few weeks to the first half of 06(which means June 30). It appears that the tellco's are dropping the ball a bit as to offer a Blackberry replacement.

The pocket PC is a much more capable device(currently using a BB7290), and with MSFP, and some good forward thinking, this bridges the gap between the blackberry and PPC smartphone.