Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Mobile 5.0 for HP iPAQ hx4700 - Expected on March 1

http://h71015.www7.hp.com/generic3....spx?page=wm2005

March 1: that's the date when HP iPAQ hx4700 users will be able to grab the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade. All this follows HP's announcement back in August 2005 that there would be a significant delay in the delivery of the upgrade due to "unforeseen extended delays in the availability of a critical 3rd party driver."

The upgrade will be available for �26.00, or around US$46.10.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

hx4700 owners rejoice !! I only pray that it is bug-free and doesnt uses the MS bt stack(which the Dell did)

Sunny

Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 PM
klanum
Ponderer

You think that would possibly apply to the US as well?

Old 02-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanum
You think that would possibly apply to the US as well?
The hx2000 upgrade was offered globally, and I'd expect the distribution patterns of the hx4700 upgrade to be no different.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

I don't pay much attention to the bluetooth stacks, but I can say that MS is pushing hard for OEMs to use their stack and more are. Then again, their stack is also getting better.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual
Default Who wants it?

Who exactly wants this "upgrade" considering all the problems in WM5? Major memory leaks and alarms that don't work are just 2 of the most serious problems in WM5. I don't know about the rest of you hx4700 owners, but my hx4700 has been incredibly stable and works just fine with WM2003SE. I don't have any noticable memory leaks and ALL my alarms and reminders sound perfectly.

So exactly why would I want to jeopardize a perfectly good device? For a PowerPoint viewer? To lose 2 hard buttons to the WM5 "soft buttons"? So that my reminders and alarms don't work consistently?

Let's face it, WM5 was not fully baked when it was released and I don't think HP is going to be able to fix the core problems in the OS. I was about to take the plunge and buy an xv6700 or Treo 700w but there is no way I'm going to "upgrade" to a device that doesn't have working alarms and reminders. Nor am I going to "upgrade" my iPAQ to a less-stable OS.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:05 PM
SHC
Intellectual

I have the same worry. I have waited for this upgrade and now it's almost here I don't know if I want it? I also have my device set up just nicely, hardly ever need to reset (except to get bluetooth on!). What would I really gain? Somebody tell me the list of pro's and con's so I can decide. At the moment its 70:30 against the upgrade in my mind.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Peter Traugot
Ponderer

I concur.

The only, and I mean ONLY thing that would sway me to the next OS is if the have difinitivly fixed the driver memory issue that haunts me regarding Bluetooth and WiFi drivers failing to install after awhile because the pitance of memory space they are allowed to run in gets trampled.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:46 PM
nobody
Ponderer

I have concerns but I still want to upgrade because I am an os junky :wink:

Hopefully there should be a way for me to go back to WM2003SE if there is a problem.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Traugot
I concur.

The only, and I mean ONLY thing that would sway me to the next OS is if the have difinitivly fixed the driver memory issue that haunts me regarding Bluetooth and WiFi drivers failing to install after awhile because the pitance of memory space they are allowed to run in gets trampled.
Hmmm... I've never had this problem, but I have VERY little installed in RAM... only my Today-screen plug-in and P.I. Everything else I install to the iPAQ File Store.