Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default $100 Laptop? Meet the $100 'Cellular PC'

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...60130-6078.html

" . . .MIT's low-cost laptop ha[s] been building a lot of buzz. How could it not? It's inexpensive, has a hand crank to charge the battery, and serves a laudable goal: getting PCs into the hands of residents of developing nations. . . . However . . other alternatives are being proposed. One such proposal comes from Microsoft, which believes that cell phones are a better option for accomplishing the goals of the project. At the CES earlier this month, Microsoft showed off a prototype of a "Cellular PC" that used a TV set as a display and a keyboard for input. Both peripherals would be connected to the phone via special adapters. According to Microsoft CTO Craig J. Mundie, cell phones make more sense as a basis for inexpensive computers�they are common, relatively cheap, and the infrastructure exists for their usage already."

It's good that technology intuitions and companies are focusing on giving the third world a helping hand. As with many things though, it's still possible to disagree about the means of achieving a common purpose. Arstechnica do really question Microsoft's motives in their post, rather unfairly I think. The $100 laptop sounds great, but I have read several articles in the Economist magazine that seems to offer more support for Microsoft's approach. The articles said that mobile telephony was of far greater value to poorer countries than having PCs and being able to use them. So, having 'Celluar PCs' could be best of both worlds. (I wonder what OS they will run......). Well, the world's a large enough place and there's enough needs for both methods to be of use. What do you reckon? $100 laptop, $100 'Celluar PC', or both?

Old 02-02-2006, 02:10 PM
alese
Philosopher
Default Re: $100 Laptop? Meet the $100 'Celluar PC'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
[i]" . . .MIT's low-cost laptop ha[s] been building a lot of buzz. How could it not? It's inexpensive, has a hand crank to charge the battery...
I guess celular device can have it's advantages, but, there is a reason for the notebook to have a hand crank.
Most of the places and countries the machine will be deployed does not even have the power available to a lot (most) of their population. And if there is no power, I guess there is also no TVs to be used as screens and definatelly no cellular coverage.
Microsofts sollution only works if you have basic infrastructure in place.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
MG
Ponderer

Let's see.... who in a third world country could afford to pay a monthly service contract for a cell phone? Anyone? That's right! No one! What the h@ll is Bill thinking? Do you think cell carriers are going to set up networks for free? The ONLY reason Gates proposed this idea is because he was shut out on the operating system for the laptop. It's nothing but sour grapes!

Mark

Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by alese
And if there is no power, I guess there is also no TVs to be used as screens and definatelly no cellular coverage.
Check out this Economist article about the take up of mobile services in Somalia:

Quote:
Golis Telecom, based in the northern port of Bossaso, is one of the larger forces in the Somali market. Its chairman, Adan Sheikhdon Ali, hopes for 50,000 mobile subscribers by 2007�not bad for a country where many people still live a nomadic life in the desert beyond a mobile signal. Golis spent $2.7m on Chinese equipment to set up its service and has since expanded its reach across the country, drawing in customers with its low prices. You can call anywhere on the planet on a Golis mobile for $0.30 a minute. Pricing is especially important in Somalia, says Mr Ali, because many potential customers are illiterate and so immune to advertising. . . Golis recouped its initial investment in two years.
Don't think there's no cellular coverage just because there is no mains electricity. :wink:

Quote:
there is a reason for the notebook to have a hand crank.
Yes - but there ARE such devices as solar powered Mobile chargers. Microsoft aren't daft you know. :wink: Mobile devices also require a lot less power than laptops......

Quote:
The communications infrastructure in Africa is coming on in huge leaps and bounds, now that mobile coverage has leapfrogged traditional landlines. Don't write this approach off, as it has a lot going for it.

Besides, the more help the merrier, right?

Old 02-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG
Let's see.... who in a third world country could afford to pay a monthly service contract for a cell phone? Anyone? That's right! No one!
Please do take the time to scan the Ecomosist arricles. Celluar coverage is MUCH cheaper in the third world that you appear to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG
What the h@ll is Bill thinking?
I honestly think he is trying to help people and make the world a better place. It was Andrew Carnegie that said "to die rich is to die in disgrace". I believe that Bill believes that too.

Which other hugely wealthy individuals have committed to give just about all of their wealth away? So far, he has given $24 billion away to various charities. He's putting his money where his mouth is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG
The ONLY reason Gates proposed this idea is because he was shut out on the operating system for the laptop. It's nothing but sour grapes!
Sour grapes? Hmmm, I believe I may have encountered a few around here somewhere recently. :wink:

Old 02-03-2006, 09:11 AM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
...Don't think there's no cellular coverage just because there is no mains electricity. :wink: ...
Quote:
Quote:
there is a reason for the notebook to have a hand crank.
Yes - but there ARE such devices as solar powered Mobile chargers. Microsoft aren't daft you know. :wink: Mobile devices also require a lot less power than laptops......
Quote:
The communications infrastructure in Africa is coming on in huge leaps and bounds, now that mobile coverage has leapfrogged traditional landlines. Don't write this approach off, as it has a lot going for it.

Besides, the more help the merrier, right?
I don't disagree with the above. And the competition is not bad either.
But the truth is that it's better if there is basic infrastructure, and having power is pretty basic.
Also all the addons, like TV for screen, and solar powered mobile chargers cost additional money, driving cost over $100, and as far as I understand, for this people and countries even $100 is a lot of money.
You can also check out the discussion about how things are in Kenya from few months ago: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=41954
And Kenya is definatelly not the poorest out of african countries.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 AM
davea0511
Intellectual

Quote:
...the truth is that it's better if there is basic infrastructure, and having power is pretty basic.
Also all the addons, like TV for screen, and solar powered mobile chargers cost additional money, driving cost over $100, and as far as I understand, for this people and countries even $100 is a lot of money.
You can also check out the discussion about how things are in Kenya from few months ago: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=41954
And Kenya is definatelly not the poorest out of african countries.
alese-

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, I think you're being all too generous to Bill Gates. IMHO this is one of the most stupid ideas ever to come out of Redmond.

Think of it... "Ummm, excuse me, can I borrow your TV so I can use my cell phone as a laptop?". Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

What... are these TV's going to have a little nuclear power plant in them - and who's going to buy all the TVs? Are you going to haul around your 15" CRT with you when you go to school so you can use it between classes? Are you going to plug the TV into a generator hooked up to your horse cart so you can use it there too?

By requiring a power hungry TV Bill has cut his intended audience by 90%. Wow. What a genius.

If you do a little more research you'll find that Bill felt very snubbed by the fact that they're using Linux, and all this effort will accomplish is take wind out of the sails for the $100 laptop. Way to go, Bill. What a humanitarian.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Flynn Arrowstarr
Pupil

Quote:
What... are these TV's going to have a little nuclear power plant in them - and who's going to buy all the TVs? Are you going to haul around your 15" CRT with you when you go to school so you can use it between classes? Are you going to plug the TV into a generator hooked up to your horse cart so you can use it there too? - davea0511
Not necessarily. What's wrong with setting up the TVs at community locations across the country? Then the people can take the cell phones with them for communication, and plug in to the communal TVs and keyboards for things like homework, research, etc. Schools could have student centers for people to work at. It's a different approach to the $100 laptop, and with a set up similar to this, the nomadic peoples have less to carry with them.

Just a thought.

Flynn

Old 02-10-2006, 09:45 PM
davea0511
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn Arrowstarr
What's wrong with setting up the TVs at community locations across the country? Then the people can take the cell phones with them for communication, and plug in to the communal TVs and keyboards for things like homework, research, etc. Schools could have student centers for people to work at. It's a different approach to the $100 laptop, and with a set up similar to this, the nomadic peoples have less to carry with them.

Just a thought.

Flynn
Yeah, I can just see it... "Sorry everyone. Gotta turn off the news. Makimba has to check his email and besides, since it was cloudy today we only have 10 more minutes until solar cell batteries are dead."

Old 02-28-2006, 06:00 AM
dashinkov
Neophyte

Quote:
Quote:
[i]" . . .MIT's low-cost laptop ha[s] been building a lot of buzz. How could it not? It's inexpensive, has a hand crank to charge the battery...
I guess celular device can have it's advantages, but, there is a reason for the notebook to have a hand crank.
Most of the places and countries the machine will be deployed does not even have the power available to a lot (most) of their population. And if there is no power, I guess there is also no TVs to be used as screens and definatelly no cellular coverage.
a perfect example of such countries is tanzania... damn i heard they don't have electricity from 7am to 11:59pm for the past 3 months!