Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default MyTinyTV: TV On-the-Go

http://www.mytinytv.com/mytinytv.html

"No, it's not a replacement for your TiVo, home theater system, big-screen TV or even your regular TV. But it's a great little, ahem, tiny TV that you can use throughout your house. And, you can even bring it along, because it also works across the Internet when you are away from home. Go to your favorite wireless hotspot, like Starbucks, at airports, at hotels, and watch TV. Your own channels from your home cable or antenna, even when you're halfway around the globe. Yes, for remote access you will need a wireless Internet account (for example, as offered by T-Mobile and Verizon) and a pretty decent broadband connection at your house, where the desktop computer with the TV tuner is located."

MyTinyTV allows you to use your Pocket PC to access TV remotely (over a broadband connection), complete with listings if you live in the USA or Canada. There's a free 7-day trial version if you wish to test it first; $59.00 USD will get you the full version. Of course, the way I see it, you could always just use Orb's free streaming service, unless MyTinyTV offers some compelling features that warrant the $59 price tag.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I really like what they say in the System Requirements page:

Quote:
At least 250Kbps download capability is required (only wireless broadband and wireless hotspots provide the necessary speed). While slower speeds are supported, the video quality becomes unacceptable. You may want to read a book instead.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 AM
aNiMeMaN14
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to aNiMeMaN14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
I really like what they say in the System Requirements page:

Quote:
At least 250Kbps download capability is required (only wireless broadband and wireless hotspots provide the necessary speed). While slower speeds are supported, the video quality becomes unacceptable. You may want to read a book instead.
lmao, that's genius.

and what's Orb's service? never heard of it

Old 01-25-2006, 08:14 AM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
So this means, if a particular hotspot doesnt offer high speeds, I better carry a book :lol:

Sunny

Old 01-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Cybrid
Pontificator

An ebook ....on my ppc.

Funny thing is I have a TV tuner card and finally did set up WME and TSC to allow contro9l of it over my LAN/ WiFi.

Orb has one failing. It is limited to a select number of tuners with hardware encoders. Mine is not

I'm going to check the mytinytv specs.
Edit: Yep! seems like they need "newer " tv tuners read: hardware encoders. Stick with Orb. and PVTL

Old 01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
OneAngryDwarf
Intellectual

I feel all Orby inside. Bless the fine folks at Orb.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
mrchampipi
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAngryDwarf
Bless the fine folks at Orb.
word.
Now if only I had a compatible tv tunner card :cry:

Old 01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
that_kid
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to that_kid

Hmm for that price I'd just buy snapstreams beyond tv which does more and for almost the same price. I've been using snapstream for the past 3-4 years to stream to my device.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

All these services are pretty cool but how's TV streamed to your PPC without using a PC and Tuner card coming along? Any news about that?

Old 01-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Tye
Intellectual

I've been using a Slingbox, www.slingmedia.com, for the last couple of months to stream to my laptop and have been very happy with it. They have a WM beta floating around now too, so it shouldn't be much longer.
Granted, my solution isn't free. But I don't need a dedicated desktop computer to be constantly turned on and it's a nice simple solution. Took me all of 3 minutes to set up--once I figured out how to open the box, sheesh.