Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default MTekk Reviews the O2 Xda Atom

http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page1139.html

"The time finally arrived when my new O2 XDA Atom was delivered to my door, and after a few days of playing, I am ready to start this review. Over the past month, many users on MTekk have received their Atoms, and this has resulted in hundreds of posts! The purpose of this review is to summarise these posts, as well as add my own opinions, and showcase the newest arrival in the O2 product range."

The O2 Xda Atom (released in the Asia-Pacific in December) has just been reviewed by MTekk. Some stand-out features of the device: Wi-Fi, ultra-small form factor, FM tuner, 2.0-megapixel camera, and O2 MediaPlus (a Media Center-like interface). If you're one of the few who own an Atom, do share your thoughts on the device.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 PM
T-Will
Sage

That Atom looks sweet!

Old 01-24-2006, 11:18 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Review
The compressed operating system, radio stack and other firmware occupy about 54MB of ROM, leaving about 72MB left. The remaining 72MB is divided into Program memory and Storage memory. Program memory has 50.4MB allocated, and the remaining 21.6MB allocated to Storage memory.
I don't think this guy really understands what he is talking about. He is saying that the ROM is divided into program and storage, but the program memory is actually RAM, not ROM.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellO
I don't think this guy really understands what he is talking about. He is saying that the ROM is divided into program and storage, but the program memory is actually RAM, not ROM.
Isn't the Atom a WM5 device and as such I thought that programs are installed into ROM rather than RAM?
In which case the review would be correct - or have I miss understood?
:?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 AM
MitchellO
Oracle

Yes it is WM5 and yes user files/programs are stored in ROM, but the program memory is RAM, not a divided part of the ROM like the reviewer says.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
recrem
Neophyte

MitchellO is correct - This is my mistake.

Going from the O2 Atom manual, main memory is explained as follows:

Quote:
The Main tab displays the amount of memory the system has allocated to file and data storage versus program storage. This tab also displays the amount of memory in use versus available memory
From this description, I believed the Program Memory was part of the 128MB of ROM, but after reading MitchellO's comment, I looked further and found that shutting down running programs changes the amount of Program Memory available.

The ROM is divided into two sections, and this is visible during installation of software. Here, the sections are defined as Device and Storage (with Memory Card shown if inserted). The Device storage is everything under the root directory, and Storage / Memory Card is shown as storage folders. From this split of ROM memory, I didn't look much further into the Storage and Program Memory relationship...

My apologies.

Now to ammend the review....

Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 AM
MitchellO
Oracle

Hey no problem

Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 AM
recrem
Neophyte

Sweet! The last thing I wanted was to mislead anyone...

Now I am scratching my head thinking how to re-write that paragraph...

Hmmm....

Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM
MitchellO
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by recrem
Sweet! The last thing I wanted was to mislead anyone...

Now I am scratching my head thinking how to re-write that paragraph...

Hmmm....
Memory is organised into ROM and RAM - similar to older devices, with the exception that all program and data are stored in ROM. It has 128MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM. The compressed operating system, radio stack and other firmware are stored in ROM, as is the users data like Calender, Contacts and files. The remaining ROM (about 22Mb) is available to the user for storage.

Program memory refers the the devices RAM. Although it has 64Mb RAM, not all of this is available to the user. The system reserves about 14Mb of space for use by the operating system, so 50Mb remains. Even then a futher few Mb are taken up on startup to leave considerably less than the stated 64Mb

This memory allocation is fixed, and can't be adjusted like older devices could be.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
recrem
Neophyte

Haha - that looks good, but the job has been done already.. Sorry :wink:

Thanks for helping me keep it correct!

Regards,

Dan...