Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Sprint Releases Survey Results, 48% Want Ringtones

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=5741

"Sprint has released the results of the Sprint U.S. Consumer Wireless Usage Study, a US wide survey of wireless phone users. The findings show that more than half of American wireless phone subscribers (56 percent) rely on their mobile phones for features such as cameras, clocks, calendars, messaging, music and as a substitute flashlight for seeing in dark places. Nearly two-thirds of respondents (63 percent) said they would use their wireless phone to retrieve maps or directions. Cameras remain popular with wireless users, with 55 percent expressing interest in the product. Walkie-talkies and ring tones are also popular with consumers, each cited by 48 percent and Internet access garnered 43 percent interest."

Sprint has relased their study results finding that, among other things, 48% of users are interested ring tones, which is more than those who cared about Internet Access, gaming, or taking pictures of pets & celebrations. Again, I am annoyed at the (apparently still strong) percentage of the US population that values an utterly stupid feature so highly. When I select a ringtone, I select something that is clear to hear, and fairly generic as I figure, the less people know about my taste in music, the better (Anyone know the song my ringer comes from?). What are you opinions on this? Should ring tones be as high a priority for mobile users in general? Why are they - is it simply a lack of education or concern over other possible uses? :roll:

Old 01-21-2006, 02:42 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

No offense, but I hate your ringtone :lol:

Mine at the moment is Austin Powers Comes through really loud on my SP5, as well as my previous XDA Mini and KJAM.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:17 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Ringtones are okay, but when ppl find it cool to have a new ringtone every week, now that's something that is wrong IMO. Mine is Futurama's intro song (yes, I'm a fan...), but i have that since a year or so and I don't really intend to change it. Before that i had a different one for another two years maybe.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:31 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

Yeah, I have been using my Austin Powers one for over a year too.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:06 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

I don't have a "ringtone", I have a sound.

Ringtone to me means a crappy midi-like sound effect that morons pay for. Witness the commercial with the dorky loser singing along to a midi version of the Dukes of Hazzard theme song.

I downloaded my phones sound effects free from the Internet. When someone calls me, I hear the Andromeda Ascendant saying "all hands, incoming message". But then I am a geek. 8)

Old 01-21-2006, 04:08 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

I'm a college going guy, so, like everyone, I constantly change ringtone. I never have a ringtone for more than 3 days(I mean it). I make them myself, so, I dont spend anything on it(I use Goldwave).

Currently, I've Linkin Park's Fort minor's PETRIFIED. I'm a huge Linkin Park fan

Sunny

Old 01-21-2006, 04:24 PM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

In my opinion there are 3 things that keep the wireless market in the US from realy maturing like you would see users of other areas.

First I believe is the lack of education. Most mobile phone users have not a clue that smartphones / PDA phones can do what they really can do. Instead Mobile Phone users in the US would rather chose a basic mobile phone with little functions like ring tones, messaging, and a camera, and style (like the razor) over performance.

Second here in the US Wireless carries will gorge the market as long as they can, keeping wireless contracts and pricing fairly high to the average user which for many people keeps them away from using many features that wireless can bring.

And last here in the US, the margarity of the people are "dumb" down. In other words if it don`t have a traditional dail pad it just won't sale well. Right now ring tones, pictures, messaging, and now mp3 listening seems to be pushing the envelope for most mobile phone users in America... But when you think about it.. is it really the users fault here in the US? The US is a major Cash cow when it comes to companies making money here and when you think about wireless carriers in the US has been very content in charging $2.99 for ring tones, let alone more for sending pictures, using Messaging, and now listening to or downloading music... so it's no wonder they keep users here in the US as idiots using "dumbdown" cell phones when they are profiting so well. I mean this was one of the main reasons why some years ago carriers didn't want Microsoft's smartphones because the end users could make their own ring tones from wav files instead of buying them from the carrier.. but heck who knows.. the above is just my thoughts.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

It sounds like your answer about ringtones is here in this thread of posts. Personally I'm with you. I pick something dear and simple. Then I'm done with it.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I'm not really into fancy ringtones. I usually pick the standard ringer, though I have been using the 24 CTU ringtone a lot lately.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:57 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

I also prefer the least annoying ringtone

But I have to say, I tihnk being who we are - PDA dorks and geeks - we overestimate the importance of internet and email. For most of the people out there working non-tech jobs, they don't need or care about internet access from their phone. Tell me, what does a factory worker or a waitress need internet or email from their phone? They don't. And even for us technically inclined people, tell me, really, do any of us NEED internet access or email? For our jobs? Or do we have it just because its cool and, maybe at best, mildly useful in some situations?

I use a 6700 over EVDO on Sprint with Business Connect and push email. It's very cool. But do I NEED it? No, I'm not important enough to need access like that constantly. But it's cool and occassionally mildly useful.

I think most people are of that mindset. Internet and email on the phone are just gadgets with little impact in their real lives. They don't need it. So I'm not surprised most think more mundane stuff like ringtones or cameras are more important.

Just because we tech geeks congregate around places like this doesn't mean the real world is like our community because it really isn't.