Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Do You Use RSS On Your Mobile Device?

Do you use RSS feeds on your mobile device? I am trying to get a feel for how many do use it and their usage patterns. I am going to have an identical poll post later today with the exact same questions, but as it applies to the desktop. For some of you, your answers will be identical and for others, it will be totally different.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
heov
Thinker

my home page is a portal that has some of my rss feeds (that link to the full article).

i used to use rss before i got a wifi pocket pc (via journal bar that would update when synced. now i never sync my device).

Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM
that_kid
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to that_kid

I used to use a reader installed on my device but for the past few months I've been using bloglines mobile page. The biggest problem I had before was keeping all my feeds in sync so if I read them on my device I wouldn't have to acknowledge them again on the pc.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:58 PM
krisdb
Neophyte

I use Google's personalized page as my start page in PIE. I also use Bloglines mobile to read feeds and I use Egress to download and listen to podcasts. This is on my Axim x30.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 PM
murph
Ponderer

considering i found this topic/poll via Bloglines mobile, i believe the answer to your question is yes.

Bloglines mobile version is well formatted and the fact that it stays "synched" with which articles i've already read is helpful. plus you can "keep as new" any article you'd rather read later on a PC.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Yes I do... Through Bloglines, this way I don't have to maintain three computers and a PDA full of feeds all being different.

And Bloglines works AWESOMELY (is that a word?! :roll: ) on the PPC and Smartphone.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:18 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Add me to list of Bloglines users - wasn't sure if that should be counted as reading RSS feeds our not, since I'm not using a dedicated RSS reader, but it is giving me the feeds.

When mobile I really prefer the entire text to be posted, since I'm not running any multiple window software in IE and it's more work to get back to the various feeds that have previously been displayed after jumping to a specific site to read the entire article.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:30 PM
phillypocket
Ponderer

Actually I do about 75% of my internet reading through an RSS feed. And nothing will get me to swear of a site quicker than providing an RSS feed with teaser text only. Out of the 160 or so feeds I monitor regularly, Yours in one of the few (that I can probably count on one hand) that I'm willing to accept partial feeds. Almost all others get immediately deleted...And I don't return to the web site.

Although admittedly it's not as bad as a partial webcast. PBS & G4, I'm looking squarely at you.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
dochall
Intellectual

Rss has totally replaced avantgo on my ipaq.

The lack of full text can be an issue some feeds are good and are worth reading and at the end of the scale the single line (often taken up by vague descriptions of multi-subject articles - yes I'm looking at you Guardian Unlimited film).

The problem with RSS feeds is the organisation which i find a pain. Getting the right feeds and a decent description can be faff. What I need is directory by subject matter that includes some indication of the completeness of the feed.

Whenever I use RSS however I still feel a slight pang for Pointcast which I think was before it's time as far as access is concerned.

Anybody got a suggestions for techie worthwhile feeds?

Old 01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch

RSS for me is crack. I love it, addicted to it and get the shakes when I don't get it...

I've been using NewsBreak since it came out, even before I had a wifi/Bt enabled device and love it. Now that it is on my Smartphone as well, I can get my crack fix anytime, anywhere....

8O