Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Enabling ClearType in Landscape Mode on the Pocket PC

Windows Mobile has supported ClearType for quite some time now. However, you might have noticed that it refuses to work in landscape mode, even when enabled (this rule has existed for many years). Thankfully, there's a fix, but it involves a little adventure through the registry. If you're well aware of the risks, proceed. If not, you can always use Tweaks2K2 .NET or Spb Pocket PC Tips & Tricks and have it do the dirty work for you.

You'll need a registry editor, of course. In this guide, I use Resco Explorer 2005 - just one of the many registry editors available for the Pocket PC.

To start off, ensure ClearType is enabled. To do this, tap Start > Settings > System > Screen > ClearType, and check to see the Enable ClearType box is ticked. Now, fire up the registry editor and navigate your way to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings. You'll notice a DWORD entry titled, "OffOnRotation". Its default value should be 1. Tap on it and edit the value to 0. Accept the changes, soft-reset your Pocket PC, then write home to your folks and tell them how easy that was. 8)

Old 01-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I'm not following... this is a hack to better enable global viewing of BlurType�? What a strange thing to consider. If one wants blurred fonts, a bit of fine sandpaper carefully applied to the screen in a circular motion will do the trick, and there is no need to make a backup first when using that method, nor even to install a registry editor.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:21 PM
orangewinger
Neophyte

All good, but cleartype only really works on one orientation of the LCD screen, hence why it's disabled on rotation by default.

Dave

Old 01-20-2006, 08:41 PM
DustyLBottoms
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangewinger
All good, but cleartype only really works on one orientation of the LCD screen, hence why it's disabled on rotation by default.

Dave
I did the hack on my hp4700 and it looks beautiful!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
I'm not following... this is a hack to better enable global viewing of BlurType�?
Ah, Gerard, always the joykill. You must be great fun at parties. :lol:

Old 01-20-2006, 08:58 PM
msprague
Thinker

Works great on my X50v. May not be quite as pretty as portrait, but much nicer than without it in landscape. To my eyes anyway.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch

I have an x50v and have had this hack (via Tweaks2K2) for sometime now. I agree: It looks fantastic.

I'm not sure about the hack, but I know with Tweaks2K2 it puts a small applet in the startup directory and eats up abt 11K of memory....

Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangewinger
Exactly. In fact, my JasJar has this set by default (e.g., ClearType always on). I'd like to reverse it so that it's off in portrait -- but on in landscape, where it looks very good.

--janak

Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Sorry Jason, if my jibe offended you. It was meant as a joke. It's true that I have never comprehended why one might want to look at blurry-edged, rainbow-hued characters, rather than crisp black fonts. But you are welcome to do so. No one else could conceivably stop you, nor should they wish to, unless it's a shared device.

I wonder, do notebooks use BlurType� these days? Or is it strictly a WindowsMobile thing, up there with automated task management in terms of utility? (The other day I opened about 15 PIE windows from one page, thinking to read them all while on a bus ride. No such luck. Though my e800 had over 100MB of free RAM and over 70MB of that Program Memory, the bloody OS started shutting down the 'extra' windows. This was especially annoying because without a Wi-Fi connection PIE's 'History' menu was unable to find the pages. Idiotic 'features' like this from the geniuses at Redmond kinda piss me off... hence the mini-rant. BlurType� strikes me as being similarly counter-intuitive. I want to keep 15 windows open, but Microsoft knows I don't need that many. I want crisp fonts, just like I do in printed paper books, but Microsoft knows I'd probably like things fuzzy. The only real puzzle is why they let us shut off BlurType� at all.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:21 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
I wonder, do notebooks use BlurType� these days? Or is it strictly a WindowsMobile thing
Windows XP (at least) with an LCD display can do it, desktops as well as notebooks. I've never used Windows 2000 on a machine with an LCD so I can't comment on that.