Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default PIToday 3.0 Released

http://www.pocketland.net/13313

"PIToday is a highly customizable today screen expansion for your Pocket PC. Manage appointments and tasks and improve productivity directly from your Today screen. PIToday offers tight functional integration with Pocket Informant and Pocket Outlook"

PIToday has gotten a long-awaited update to verison 3.0, and to help get users on board, we've got an exclusive discount that will let you get 25% off the purchase price. Simply enter 1636367301024E9 at checkout!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Funny,

I've never used this particular product, but it seems to have been a mourned hero in the customizability front since I started searching for Today plugins.

It seems to be a direct competitor for PocketBreeze and SPB Diary. Sounds like theres going to be a Today war in the works.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

If I recall correctly, PIToday predates both PocketBreeze & (definetly) Diary. The only reason I ever switched from PIToday to another product was the lack of integration with other components (Spb got me since I already used Pocket Plus) and lack of mail support (Which is why I now use PocketBreeze).

Good to see this product back in action!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
If I recall correctly, PIToday predates both PocketBreeze & (definetly) Diary.
It does. I think PIToday lost a lot of business because development on it stagnated for a long time(I'm pretty sure PIToday is just done by one developer), and SBSH was putting out updates every few weeks or so.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:07 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Though I'm a fellow SBSH fan (as a PocketBreeze, PocketWeather and sometimes iLauncher user), it is nice to see that DeJe is back with PIToday, as competition never hurts. Not that I'd ever switch from PB.

(and no, I don't consider Diary as a competition....it lacks too much features of PB and its customization)

Old 01-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Edgar_
Theorist

I used PiToday and sung its praises for a long time. I finally got frustrated with DeJe's disappearance and lack of support so I jumped to Diary.

I love it and like the way it integrates with SPB Weather and Pocketplus. Now if SPB releases a stock plugin for Pocket Plus I'd be all set. In fact, with all the problems Omega One has - sure they patch but they still have problems even now, I'm very happy I dumped PiToday and all my Omega software except 1-calc.

I don't know if DeJe was sick, burned out or what. But in this business he will have a hard time gaining the popularity he once had. It rang too much of Toshiba - put out a solid product then never support it and don't update it for a long time.

I wish him luck, but I won't go back to it, never know if he may decide to go off on another hiatus.

-Edgar_

Geez! - just checked his official home page for PITODAY (http://pitoday.de.vu/ ) its still dated 2004 and shows the old rev only.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
PiatekHS
Pupil

PIToday was a great product; when Deje disappeared and we didn't hear anything AT ALL (not even, sorry I'll be back in 12 months :evil: ) from him I lost faith - I won't buy/upgrade to this version as the developer's track record would indicate it isn't worth the risk :cry: .

Old 01-20-2006, 12:51 AM
jlp
Pontificator

Anybody tried this "new" release?

Screen shots show the date Nov 1st, 04.

OTOH since the program seems to be from a single developer, he was most certainly primarily busy developing the program, then releasing it, then in the next days he will take time to update his site and partnering pages...

Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 AM
CTSLICK
Sage

I installed it today...but having not used PIToday since its VERY early stages I wouldn't know what has been truly updated. In any case, I am checking it out...seems to work pretty well. I am always very cautious of Today screen plug ins, I seem to suffer performance penalties when I run them.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:55 AM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSLICK
I am always very cautious of Today screen plug ins, I seem to suffer performance penalties when I run them.
I fully agree to you sir. Even I'm very careful when installing today plug-ins. I love using pocket breeze(before that I was a SPB Diary user). Pocket Breeze gave so many custamisations and my whole system also seemed little faster. I would like to read the reviews of such an application. I'd definately buy it, if it offers more features than Pocket Breeze. Yes, it looks nice, but, I'm more leaned towards real world performance

Sunny