Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Use Your 6515 As A BT GPS Unit!

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/...?TOPIC_ID=46333

"GPS Redirect is an application for HP IPAQ 6515 that lets you use the GPS built into the IPAQ from an external device over bluetooth. This is useful if you want to run a PC based GPS application on your Notebook PC and use the 6515 as a Bluetooth GPS device."

Well, I can't say I understand quite why you'd want to do this - unless you really want to share your GPS data with another person. Perhaps it would be possible to Geocache with a non-GPS BT-Enabled PPC, but it seems like it would be a lot of hoops to jump through. I suppose you could let your Laptop be GPS enabled with it, but what would you use your laptop for you couldn't use a PPC for in the first place? Anyone really excited to use this? Please share!

Old 01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
alese
Philosopher

I guess it's W?BIC! thing, but on the other hand, laptop does have resolution higher than 240x240...

Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I have a 6515 and have no desire to deal with this. Besides I have a Socket GPS I can use anyway. :mrgreen:

Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 AM
BevHoward
Intellectual

Quote:
Well, I can't say I understand quite why you'd want to do this
In my experience, PC apps do a much better job of displaying and routing, so, if you are traveling with the HP and a laptop, it allows a laptop to access the gps data from the HP to run laptop apps such as Street Atlas or the PC version of Streets and Trips whout the need of carrying an extra gps receiver.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevHoward
In my experience, PC apps do a much better job of displaying and routing, so, if you are traveling with the HP and a laptop, it allows a laptop to access the gps data from the HP to run laptop apps such as Street Atlas or the PC version of Streets and Trips whout the need of carrying an extra gps receiver.
Bev makes sense to me. You have to buy a nav progam to get anything out of the 6515, and then you only get the 240x240 screen. If you are traveling you probably have a laptop. Even buying S&T for $25 gives you a pretty good Nav program on the laptop and a rudimentary program for the PPC, both of which can use the built in GPS of the 6515.