Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default The Waiting

There is a song by Tom Petty that so elegantly states �The waiting is the hardest part�, and few times in my life have I identified with those words as strongly as the last few weeks. Why? Well, I�m waiting for something. And it�s Windows Mobile Related.

Back in October we were super psyched to announce the availability of Exchange Service Pack 2 and we were all a bit dismayed to find out that we�d have to wait until the MSFP was released in order to use the most anticipated feature, Push E-mail. Jason Langridge has a nice write-up in his MSDN blog describing the situation and the features we all want if you need a refresher on the whole MSFP thing (And a link to a video that will make you drool if you�re into remote device management). Anyway, we were told to wait, and waiting we are. The Exchange Server I sync to is updated, it�s got everything installed it will need to support the MSFP, all I need now is the ROM updates that will let me experience it. Rumors have been floating around now for a few weeks that i-Mate is planning to release ROM updates by the end of this month (Some said by the end of this week), yet they still have failed to appear. So I�m left waiting� and it�s driving me nuts!

In the true spirit of this community, I figured we could all use an outlet to get our frustrations out about what we are waiting for. So follow the advice of another song and tell me � What are you waiting for?

Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
CookieKid
Pupil

I'm waiting for my HX4700. I ordered the item on Ebay but had to get it sent to my girlfriend's uncle because the auction was for US only. It was received by my girlfriend's uncle on the 24th of December and he's planning to visit her on the 21st of January. So with that said, I've been iPaqless for the 3 weeks and it's killing me! I never realized that I've grown dependent on a PDA to organize/manage my tasks. Now that the new year has started, more and more things are thrown at me and I'm struggling to keep track of what has to be done. A week seems like an eternity.... :cry:

Old 01-15-2006, 08:31 PM
dochall
Intellectual

The motorla q to be launched in europe, to make use of push email

A decent pda in the WM5 generation, ideally with 128mb RAM and at least as much rom with a VGA screen, wifi (g would be good), bluetooth and a SCROLL WHEEL.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
KTamas
Thinker

A PDA with WM5 (AKU2 of course + Widcomm BT stack), VGA screen, at least 128 MB RAM/ROM in the form factor of the Blue Angel. I know, I know, it will probably never happen

Old 01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
dma1965
Thinker

I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the direct push, as I want to start using this with all of my "road warriors". From what I have seen and heard, it is even better than the Blackberry direct push. In the meantime, I am using the 4Smartphone service (very reasonably priced) and loving it. It is not a true direct push yet, but works quite well in it's current state on my Wizard (QTek 9100). I just think it is so cool to update a contact on my desktop, and by the time I walk across the house to pick up my Pocket PC Phone, it is updated. What is the absolute greatest thing about this for me is using entourage on my Mac (I use both Windows and Mac), which connects to Exchange as well, and it is now always up to date with no need for a sync application update for my Windows Mobile 5 device. I spoke to someone at 4Smartphone who told me they are already set up on their end to use the new push technology, we just need to wait for the update from the device manufacturers, and they already have it, so, as you said, now we wait. :|

Old 01-15-2006, 08:55 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochall

A decent pda in the WM5 generation, ideally with 128mb RAM and at least as much rom with a VGA screen, wifi (g would be good), bluetooth and a SCROLL WHEEL.
What I want to see is someone, either an OEM or third party developer, who can hook into the volume slider control and turn it into a scroller. On my Qtek 9100, if you browse PIE in full screen mode, it turns into a scroller, and works great. So the functionality definitely exists, now we need a way to make it global on the device.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:57 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochall

What I want to see is someone, either an OEM or third party developer, who can hook into the volume slider control and turn it into a scroller. On my Qtek 9100, if you browse PIE in full screen mode, it turns into a scroller, and works great. So the functionality definitely exists, now we need a way to make it global on the device.
There is already a small app that can do it, at least for the Himalaya and the Blue Angel devices that can re-map the up/down volume slider to D-pad up/down. Look over at xda-developers forums, you might find something.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Airscanner
Ponderer

I've been waiting for them to relax the signing restrictions on WM5.0 devices

I'd also like them to get Visual Studio 2005 working For now, Seth put up a guide on how to get it to work here:
http://www.airscanner.com/security/WM5debugVS2005.pdf

So far WM5.0 rocks, but still needs a good service pack to iron out the bugs. I'm waiting for that too!

Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
MikeB
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to MikeB

I'm waiting to see a Windows Mobile update that includes a version of ActiveSync that can still sync an Access database. One with free developer tools. One with improved device performance. And instead of two giant words on the toolbar at the bottom, programs would use icons on the toolbars, so you don't have to drill through menus to get to items. They could call it 'Windows Mobile 2003'

Old 01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Airscanner
Ponderer

hehe

agreed!