Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default DualCor cPC Previewed at CES

http://www.dualcor.com/010406press.php

"DualCor Technologies, Inc., today at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), previewed the DualCor cPC, the world's first ultra portable personal computer to simultaneously run full-function Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 and Windows Mobile 5.0 operating systems. This unique device represents a new category of hardware for global enterprise computing and promises to end the compromise between mobility, functionality and productivity for the mobile business professional. The DualCor cPC is the only all-in-one, wireless "handtop" (handheld-desktop) computer that combines the power of a desktop PC, the instant-on convenience of a PDA and the always-connected functionality of a cell phone. Measuring just 6.5" x 3.3" x 1.2", the DualCor cPC offers unprecedented battery life for enterprise computing, Internet access, e-mail and talk time. A patented dual processor architecture and integrated 40GB hard drive allows the DualCor cPC to run fully enabled desktop applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, and non-diluted versions of enterprise applications like SAP, Oracle and Microsoft, while retaining the instant-on, always-on functionality and long-lasting power of a PDA and cell phone."

Remember the DualCor cPC that we posted on back in December? Well, things are finally starting to progress. Just yesterday, the cPC was previewed at CES, and now the company has tagged it with a Q1 release date and a price of $1500.

The hardware is amazing - two CPUs (1.5GHz and 400MHz); 1GB of DDR2 RAM; 1GB NAND ROM; a 40GB shared HDD; a 5", 262K-colour, 800 x 480 touch-screen display; three USB 2.0 ports (two Type A and one Type B); a headset jack and a phone jack; a CompactFlash Type II slot; a mini-VGA-out port; an integrated speaker, microphone, and mouse buttons.

With a set of specifications like that, you could turn the cPC into a stunning multimedia PDA. Its battery life blows the doors off the OQO with three to eight hours of continuous usage and hundreds of hours in standby mode. It has also been claimed that switching between Windows XP and Windows Mobile is instantaneous.

It looks great on paper, though there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Can a virtual ActiveSync "intra-connection" be established, thus eliminating the need to synchronise the device with another computer? And does the cPC have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
martin_ayton
Thinker

:drool:

Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

I think it tries to everything and end up doing nothing !!

Sunny

Old 01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Phronetix
Thinker

Are the photos indicative of the final commercial prototype? It's a 1500$ brick! Okay, one that runs XP and WM, but still... perhaps some attention to the exterior might help?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Peter Traugot
Ponderer

I agree. Two words...

Industrial Design.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

Maybe it's just a prototype. Then again, maybe not. After all, neither the Sony U nor the OQO have a streamlined chassis.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

OK, move over Antelope and OQO. Now I want one of these!

Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Uh huh. And can they actually BUILD the thing, or are they limited to fanciful 3D renderings? Hell, I can render up a device with 4 GB of RAM, 20 GB of flash, and a 200 GB hard drive, that runs continuously for 200 hours on a single AAA battery, all while fitting into my shirt pocket. That doesn't mean that it actually exists. If these guys couldn't produce at least an engineering concept unit for the CES, something that you can take real photos of, I question their ability to launch such a device commercially at any price.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

Ooooh. Anyone want to buy my Universal?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:24 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

The question of the hour...

Are they actually showing a working prototype/device at CES, or just the mock up/ photoshop images?

If they don't even have a working prototype yet the idea of a 1st quarter launch is laughable.

I could see this is a nice replacment for the OQO Universal combot I seem to carry today, though IF it actually becomes real.