Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon Also Officially Announces The Treo 700w

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060104/2006...05362.html?.v=1

"For businesses and individuals who want the latest all-in-one mobile communications and business-productivity solution, Palm, Inc. and Verizon Wireless today announced the availability of the Palm� Treo(TM) 700w smartphone, the first Treo smartphone to take advantage of Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service on its EV-DO network. The Treo 700w smartphone also is the first Treo smartphone to run the Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system, bringing the hallmark Palm ease of use to Windows Mobile for the first time. It combines a great mobile phone with high-speed wireless data access to email(1) and business applications. The Treo 700w smartphone goes on sale tomorrow and joins the Treo 650 smartphone based on the Palm OS� platform on the Verizon Wireless network."

Fast on the heels of the XV6700, here comes the 700w. Almost -- stores are supposed to have them tomorrow. There's a huge thread on HowardForums with people planning to pick the device up. The device will cost $399 (after $100 rebate with a 2-year voice+data contract). One controversy remains: the top-linked press release clearly states "128MB of memory and 60MB of dedicated user storage", but the screenshots on the above-linked thread shows 25MB of program memory. 8O If anyone gets their hands on one and can comment on this issue, post back in this thread.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 PM
KTamas
Thinker

25 MB? Huh? It can be a pre-production model...Edit: No, wait, he says it is from a production model. Weird.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:43 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator
Default Re: Verizon Also Officially Announces The Treo 700w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh

One controversy remains: the top-linked press release clearly states "128MB of memory and 60MB of dedicated user storage", but the screenshots on the above-linked thread shows 25MB storage space. 8O If anyone gets their hands on one and can comment on this issue, post back in this thread.
That makes sense to me 128 MB of ROM with 60 MB useable for storage. Palm cheaped out (as I expected) and only provides 32 MB of RAM for program use - the OS will use about 18 MB of this, leaving about 14 MB available for actual program execution. Unfortunately that number will get smaller as soon as you sync a decent sized PIM data base and a few emails.

Shame on Palm, MS and Verizon for releasing this device with insufficient RAM. It had all of the makings of finally bringing WM to the mainstream, but will most likely end up being considered a flop because targeted users aren't going to want to manage their memory (and shouldn't have to).

I posted this link in another thread earlier: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e=24&pp=15 It's a photo of a production unit confirming the lack of RAM.

It really seems to me that both the employees of MS and the OEM's never really use the devices they create/build. Anyone who has used a WM5 device to this point knows that 32 MB is not sufficient, even for a non-power user. The new memory structure uses memory like a drunk spills booze at a bar. All one needs to do is read the Windows Mobile Team blog to realize the developers are as shocked by Memory utililization as the rest of us! :?

Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 AM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

The 25MB shown in picture is RAM left after boot. (out of 32MB physical builtin RAM in the processor). The 60MB storage space is ROM left after boot. (out of 128MB ROM).

Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 AM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangzhinong
The 25MB shown in picture is RAM left after boot. (out of 32MB physical builtin RAM in the processor). The 60MB storage space is ROM left after boot. (out of 128MB ROM).
Actually its 25 Mb before boot (7MB being allocated for buffers and such already), and then a further 15 MB is used by the OS, leaving 13-14 available after boot.

Surur

Old 01-05-2006, 12:16 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
The 25MB shown in picture is RAM left after boot. (out of 32MB physical builtin RAM in the processor).
That's not really accurate. The device only has about 14 MB of RAM available after the OS loads. The ~7 MB reserved is used by the OS, but it is not where the OS loads, it loads into the 25 MB shown.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 AM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

My PPC-6700 has about 49 megs free for execution with currently 21 megs in use and another 28 megs free which I find is nice to have. But than again, if the Treo 700 is showing 25 megs free after the OS has loaded, than it really isn't too much different than my current PPC-6700 with only 28 megs left for execution and running programs. Keep in mind, that 25 megs is for "running" programs, not storage, so to be fair it really isn't that bad for a WM 5 device and not that big of a difference than my PPC-6700. I've used my PPC-6700 fairly well and have yet to come across any memory problems.

I probably would of waited and purchased this if Verizon didn't kill WiFi on it.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:23 AM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
Quote:
The 25MB shown in picture is RAM left after boot. (out of 32MB physical builtin RAM in the processor).
That's not really accurate. The device only has about 14 MB of RAM available after the OS loads. The ~7 MB reserved is used by the OS, but it is not where the OS loads, it loads into the 25 MB shown.
Depending on how you calculate, 32MB-25MB = 7MB is reserved to the OS. Out of the 25MB, Palm use another 10MB for their application suites and buffers, so 14MB left for user's application.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpaqMan2
My PPC-6700 has about 49 megs free for execution with currently 21 megs in use and another 28 megs free which I find is nice to have. But than again, if the Treo 700 is showing 25 megs free after the OS has loaded, than it really isn't too much different than my current PPC-6700 with only 28 megs left for execution and running programs. Keep in mind, that 25 megs is for "running" programs, not storage, so to be fair it really isn't that bad for a WM 5 device and not that big of a difference than my PPC-6700.
Except that the Treo only has about 14 MB free after the OS loads, not 25.Your PPC-6700 has 64 MB of RAM to start with, the Treo has 32, so the Treo only has 50% as much RAM available after the OS loads.

You could try this: load up your device with about 2 weeks of email, and then launch a few common programs, such as PIE, Messaging, PI, and WMP - then see how much RAM you have left. If it's less than 14 MB's you would be out of RAM with the Treo.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Depending on how you calculate, 32MB-25MB = 7MB is reserved to the OS. Out of the 25MB, Palm use another 10MB for their application suites and buffers, so 14MB left for user's application.
Please, this just isn't true. The reserved space is used for the Page Pool, DMA buffers and a bunch of other technical stuff. The OS is loaded in the 25 MB of free space along with the rest of the OEM apps Palm may have added. The end result is the same, but the OS is NOT loaded into the reserved space. The WM team blog describes this: http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...entPosted=true in a discussion on why 32 MB is or isn't enough. They thought it was, but many users/developers posting point out that WM5 can use almost 3x the RAM as previous editions and disagree. The developer was surprised by that revleation. :!: