Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Cingular Launches 3G HSDPA Service in US

http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index...eases&item=1390

"Cingular Wireless today launched its super-charged wireless network capable of providing customers with high-speed access to information in a world that has gone mobile. Customers can use the third-generation (3G) network to access Cingular BroadbandConnect, which is available to nearly 35 million people in 52 communities throughout the United States. The company will continue to extend the network rapidly next year."

I'm not interested per se in the service right now, because it's laptop-only (PC card) and it isn't supported yet in New York. 8O However, this will ultimately be significant for the Pocket PC Phone market because it will enable 3G Pocket PCs to be carried on Cingular's network. It's up for question, though, as to how long it'll take Cingular to adopt such units. Verizon and Sprint have been very aggressive with EVDO Pocket PCs, so hopefully that'll encourage Cingular to do the same (and the linked page suggests as much).

Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 PM
weatheryoko
Pupil
Default Will this work with my imate JasJar (HTC Universal)????

My HTC Universal here in the States is 3G. Will it work on cingular's 3G network? From what I remember, my Universal needs two frequencies for 3G to work, 2100 Mhz and ????. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

it will not work. i believe cingular uses only one frequency but it is different from how the universal is setup. but this may indicate a US universal on the horizon. with 850 and us 3g (and hopefully edge)

Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

Apparently, someone on HowardForums allegedly converted his 900MHz HTC Magician to an 850MHz... Considering this possibility, it could be done on the HTC Universal... changing the 900MHz portion to 850MHz, and possibly the 2100MHz UMTS to 1900MHz? Are there any other differences in the technology besides frequency?

Makes me wish some of this was software adjustable...

Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael143
Apparently, someone on HowardForums allegedly converted his 900MHz HTC Magician to an 850MHz... Considering this possibility, it could be done on the HTC Universal... changing the 900MHz portion to 850MHz, and possibly the 2100MHz UMTS to 1900MHz? Are there any other differences in the technology besides frequency?

Makes me wish some of this was software adjustable...
I don't think there are any other differences.. but i honestly have no clue.