Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Set The Cache To Something Manageable In Pocket IE

If you use your device for browsing online, take a look at Start|Settings|System|Memory and see how much of your storage space is used. Now, in Pocket Internet Explorer, select Tools|Options|Memory|Delete Files. Now see how much storage space you have. Did you clear out a lot? I've seen 10MB cleaned up before. 8O You can change the cache size by modifying the registry.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content]<br />"CacheLimit"=dword:00000200
<br /><br />My PDA2K was set at 43MB and my K-Jam at 26MB. :idontthinkso: I've adjusted them both to a more reasonable 2MB, or 2048 for the registry key setting. Don't set it at zero. It won't work like that and will instead default to some much larger value. It should be at least 256KB to 512KB for the setting to work as far as I can tell.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Spenser
Ponderer

Reading this reasonable advice I remember that I always wanted to ask how to delete the index.dat-file, which is 540KB big on my ipaq 4700. (\windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5). Same but slightly smaller on \windows\Profiles\guest\History\History.IE5.
Any idea how to delete these files? That would be another way of gaining some more of the precious RAM.
Thank you.
Jochen

Old 12-03-2005, 08:26 PM
gilbertovp
Pupil

Hi, another solution is to use MemMaid or some other tweak software (or change the registry yourself) to put the explorer's cache to a folder in the storage card, so it wont take space in the main memory

Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 PM
robert_biggs
Ponderer
Default Re: Set The Cache To Something Manageable In Pocket IE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
My PDA2K was set at 43MB and my K-Jam at 26MB. :idontthinkso:
I just checked my X51v and it's default setting was 64MB!! 8O I adjusted it down to a more modest 5MB.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:43 PM
gilbertovp
Pupil

For more info about this subject, check this article: "Optimize your Internet speed - relocate the cache" http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17997

Old 12-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Ipaqian One
Neophyte
Default Deleting index.dat

It's not possible to delete the index.dat file directly.

1. Instead rename the "Content.IE5" folder to a different name like "old". (On my WM 2003 device found at Windows/Profiles/guest/Temporary Internet Files)

2. Reset your device.

3. Go back to the "Content.IE5" folder which the OS has automatically recreated during the reset. Notice the folder that was renamed "old" and delete it. The "old" folder contains the old bloated index.dat file that is safe to and can be deleted. The new index.dat file is significantly smaller. I haven't encountered any problems after deleting this folder and file on WM 2003 but just for safe measure you should back up first. I haven't had any experience with 2003 SE or WM 5 so I don't know the results on those versions.

I've seen my index.dat file get to be almost 1MB! It inevitably will bloat again but I just go back and delete it occasionally. The same procedure can be used on the "History" folder which contains history.dat.

I tried using Pocket Mechanic's Temporary file cleaning utility. While it works on regular temporary Pocket IE files it can't clean out the .dat files.

Please let me know if anyone knows of a utility that cleans .dat files within the Temporary Internet Files folder.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:57 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

How many of thesa issues will MemMaid take care of?

Old 12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

be careful about some of the changes here. I am not sure what would happen if you move the cache to the storage card and then as WM5 devices are prone to do, the card is "lost" when the device suspends.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 PM
martin_ayton
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker
How many of thesa issues will MemMaid take care of?
MemMaid will allow you to reset the cache size. It cannot clean index.dat files (and there are three of them residing in different places IIRC), but it does allow you to relocate the cache to the storage card. That in turn allows you to delete the index.dat files which got left in RAM.

I found that relocating the cache to the storage card really slowed things down the first time I used PIE after a soft reset and made it marginally less stable. I'm pretty sure that optimising my storage card would have sorted some / all of this, but I just don't have the time to do that right now, so I have reduced the cache to 2MB per Ed's advice and had MemMaid move it back to RAM. Every now and then, I'll use MemMaid to shift the cache over to the storage card, I'll delete the index.dat files from RAM and them shift the cache back again. Not pretty, but effective.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:24 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I use MemMaid to set the max storage used to 2MB. Then whenever I'm done using PIE, I go into MemMaid again and use its Quick Clean option to get rid of all the build-up that has accumulated since I ran it last. A positive side effect of this routine is that every once in a while, MemMaid will wipe out the index.dat files as well.