Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Total Convergence: The E-TEN M600 Reviewed

Product Category: Pocket PC Phone Edition
Manufacturer: E-TEN
Where to Buy: Authorised E-TEN Dealers or Expansys
Price: Around �557 (without VAT) or ~$657 USD
System Requirements: N/A

Pros:
  • Excellent screen, thanks to its LTPS TFT-LCD;
  • Solid performance all-round;
  • Support for quad-band GSM;
  • Retains an SD slot (unlike some of the newer HTC devices);
  • Good battery life.
Cons:
  • Removal of USB-Host (the M500 supported USB-Host);
  • No infrared;
  • No dedicated soft key buttons;
  • Keys are not backlit.
Summary: Back when Windows Mobile 5.0 was hot off the press, E-TEN demonstrated a pre-production M600 at Computex. It was designed as an upgrade to its predecessor, the M500, and also to compete against some of HTC's well-known Phone Edition devices. Over the months, the hype started building up - with quad-band GSM, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, would it meet expectations as an all-in-one device? Eager to answer that question, I put it to the test!

Blissful Roaming: Quad-Band GSM Support
The E-TEN M600 happens to be one of the very few Pocket PC Phone Edition devices to support quad-band GSM. What does this mean?

GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is a digital technology used for the transmission of most mobile voice and data services as we know it. The number of GSM connections is steadily increasing - as of the third quarter of 2005, there were over 1.5 billion GSM subscribers worldwide. Despite the development and deployment of several 3G technologies, it's safe to say that GSM is here to stay as a basic means of mobile communication, at least for the foreseeable future. Most GSM networks operate at 900MHz/1800MHz, but there are a small number of networks which operate at 850MHz/1900MHz (primarily in North America). Looking at the past and present, most Pocket PC Phone Edition devices support tri-band GSM (900MHz/1800MHz/1900MHz), but thanks to the M600's support for the extra band (850MHz), it opens up a whole window of opportunities for roaming - this is something you'll value if you're a frequent traveller.

Figure 1: The E-TEN M600 box and its contents.

But Wait, No EDGE?
In addition to the quad-band GSM support, the M600 supports GPRS Class B / Multislot Class 10 (4+1 or 3+2), which is able to achieve mobile data rates similar to a dial-up modem, but with the added benefit of operating wirelessly. Class B is an indication that the phone can connect to both GSM and GPRS services, but can only utilise one service at a time.

That's all fine and dandy, but let's look at a shortcoming. The M600 lacks EDGE support. To fill you in on the techno-speak, EDGE is an abbreviation for Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution. It's essentially a beefed-up version of GPRS: around three times the data capacity, three times the subscriber capacity, and has the benefit of being laid directly on top of an existing GSM network. There's a catch though - EDGE isn't nearly as widely available as one would expect. It's primarily used in parts of Europe and North America (a definitive list of operators can be found here). For someone like me who lives in the Asia Pacific, EDGE is sparse as 3G tends to dominate the region, so the M600's lack of EDGE is something I'm not deeply concerned about. However, if you happen to be with a carrier which offers EDGE, then you might want to keep this shortcoming in mind. But remember, this device has Wi-Fi, which I will talk about later.

Enough about networks! Let's get down to the guts and glory of the device.

Hardware
First and foremost, the device does not feature an integrated keyboard (as seen in the i-mate K-JAM, Sprint PPC-6700, and i-mate JASJAR) nor an integrated keypad (as seen in the moboDA 3360, and Gigabyte Einstein). Input on this device is strictly screen-based. That places it in a similar category as the i-mate JAM and the O2 Xda Atom.

Figure 2: The M600's System Information applet.

Specifications
So, let's get this out in the open right away - the M600 feels fast, and the benchmark results prove it. It features a Samsung S3C2440A 400MHz processor, not the common Intel XScale processors that most of you are familiar with, but that's no reason to disregard it. I've always been a fan of Samsung's mobile processors. My old HP iPAQ h1940 had one, and now this M600 has one - both devices are very snappy. The device also includes 64MB RAM (49.01MB usable), 128MB Flash ROM (81.56MB usable), an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, a built-in 1.3-megapixel camera (supporting 1280 x 960 pictures; 4x digital zoom) with flash, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) 65K-colour LTPS TFT-LCD, and Windows Mobile 5.0. LTPS (Low Temperature Poly Silicon) is actually one of the better LCD technologies available in the market. To my understanding, very few Pocket PCs in the market make use of this technology, so one of the M600's standout features is a screen with a significantly higher aperture ratio and thus increased brightness. I'll be discussing the screen a little later in the review.

As stated earlier, the M600 supports quad-band GSM/GPRS. It also supports Bluetooth 1.2 and 802.11b Wi-Fi, with the added benefit of multi-mode wireless communications (meaning you can use GSM/GPRS and Bluetooth/Wi-Fi simultaneously), unlike Verizon, where rumour is they've crippled Wi-Fi on its phones.

What's in the Box?
There's more to the box than the M600. Here's what it contains:
  • E-TEN M600 Pocket PC Phone Edition;
  • 1440mAh Li-Ion battery;
  • Cradle;
  • Leather case;
  • USB synchronisation cable;
  • Compact AC adapter;
  • Semi-adhesive screen protector;
  • Stereo headset (which includes a microphone and volume controls);
  • E-TEN's Getting Started CD (includes Microsoft Outlook 2002, ActiveSync 4.0, and an electronic manual).

My M600 was shipped to me before the release of ActiveSync 4.1. If you end up purchasing this device and still have ActiveSync 4.0 on the CD, I suggest heading over to Microsoft to download v4.1. It solves many of v4.0's connection issues.

Figure 3: ActiveSync 4.x - required for Windows Mobile 5.0-based devices.

M500 vs. M600: What's Changed?
So, let's perform a side-by-side comparison with the M500 (the M600's predecessor). To put it simply, the M600 is two steps forward and two steps back. Let's start with the positives, shall we?

The M500, which was launched back in December 2004, had one major shortcoming. Much like the HTC Magician, it lacked integrated Wi-Fi. If you wanted to add the functionality, it would be delivered by way of an SDIO Wi-Fi card. Thankfully, they've been getting smaller and smaller over the past year, but it's still an accessory which occupies your SD slot. Unless you purchase an all-in-one memory/Wi-Fi card, you'll find yourself swapping cards more often that you'd like. The M600 solves this problem by including Wi-Fi, leaving your SD slot for the more important purpose of memory expansion.

The M600 also has a new look. Alongside the silver-coloured buttons, the shell is completely black. I'm a huge fan of black as it goes well with just about anything, though your mileage may vary. The M600 (165g) is also five grams lighter than the M500 (170g) - not that you'd notice, anyway.

However, unlike the M500, the M600 no longer features USB-Host support. If you've ever owned or played with a USB-Host-enabled Pocket PC, you'll know just how awesome this feature is. In a nutshell, it allows you to access most USB peripherals connected to your device (for example, a USB thumb-drive, and even that funky iPod). It might not be an "essential" feature, especially for a Phone Edition, but it's certainly one that is handy to have around.

Interestingly, the M600 no longer has an infrared (IR) port. Okay, so IR is a bit of an archaic technology - it's slower than Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and requires line of sight, but I've always viewed IR to be one of those pain-free features enabling interoperability between different mobile devices (whether they be Windows Mobile-based or not). You don't even need to create a partnership!

On a completely different note, the M600 ships with Windows Mobile 5.0, though this isn't something the M500 isn't capable of. By default, the M500 runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, but thanks to an upgrade CD which is scheduled to ship in December, the M500 will also be able to run Windows Mobile 5.0.

Size Comparison
The M600 measures in at 111.7mm x 60.7mm x 22mm. Pictures don't really do justice to the size of the device. You'll have to see it in the flesh to appreciate just how small it is. In fact, this is one of the few Pocket PC Phone Edition devices I feel comfortable holding next to my ear. Even an i-mate PDA2K (HTC Blue Angel) is too large for my liking, let alone an i-mate JASJAR (HTC Universal).

Figure 4: Comparison shot (angle) - from left, the Dell Axim X50v, HP iPAQ h1940, E-TEN M600, and the Nokia 6610i.

Figure 5: Comparison shot (side) - from top, the Nokia 6610i, E-TEN M600, HP iPAQ h1940, and the Dell Axim X50v.

Meet the M600!
This is where I take you on a tour of the device. At first glance, you'll notice the M600 lacks any sort of antenna bulge. I hate any sort of protruding parts with a passion - so the M600 gets a donut point from me.

Figure 6: A view of the M600's face.

Apart from the top where the SD card inserts into, the M600's body has a matte finish. It's actually something I prefer since it makes the PDA less slippery to hold, and on a steaming hot day, you'll quickly realise how valuable this is. Hairline scratches also tend to be less visible on a matte body. From the front, there are two multi-colour LED indicators. There is one situated in the top-left corner - it flashes blue when Bluetooth is active and orange when Wi-Fi is active. The other indicator is situated in the top-right corner - it is constantly red whilst charging, turns off when the battery is fully charged, and flashes red when the battery is low on juice. Alternatively, it flashes green when the GSM component of the phone is active (even when the device is in standby mode), and flashes orange if the device requires your attention (for example, a reminder or even an error message). Above the E-TEN logo is the earpiece (which is adequately loud, unlike some devices I have tried before), and below the 2.8" screen are some of the hardware buttons. Starting from the bottom, the M600 has the standard call buttons, and just above that are the Contacts and Home buttons (or M-Desk, which I'll discuss later). Toward the centre is the D-pad. It's firm to press and has a similar design to that of the HP iPAQ h1940. Due to the button arrangement, it's probably not ideal for gaming, but being a phone, I don't see this as being a priority. One caveat to all this - with the M600 running Windows Mobile 5.0, you'd expect soft key buttons, wouldn't you? Guess what? There are none. Much like Dell's upgrade from the X50 series to the X51 series, E-TEN has done the same in moving from the M500 to M600. There are no noticeable structural changes to the button arrangement, so you'll have to tap on the screen with your thumb or the stylus in order to use the soft keys. It's a shame though since there is quite a bit of empty space between the top row of buttons and the screen.

Figure 7: From the left side, the M600 offers several more buttons.

Turning the device 90�, you'll notice a further set of buttons on the left side. Toward the top end of the device, there's the Camera button (which has a dual-purpose: loading the Camera application and taking pictures); just below it is the volume slider, multi-purpose button (commonly assigned to the bundled Voice Commander application), and the indented, stylus-dependent soft-reset button. Unfortunately, only the Contacts, Home, Camera and multi-purpose buttons are assignable. It would have been nice to have the volume slider assignable as a jog dial. Unlike some Pocket PCs, none of the M600's buttons are backlit, effectively making night use a tad difficult if you place a great reliance on the hardware buttons. If you're more of a screen-only user, like me, then this shortcoming won't be an issue for you.

Also of note is a 2.5mm headphone jack (which supports audio in and out) - it's protected by a rubber cap that is attached to the device.

Figure 8: Views of the M600 from the top (above) and the bottom (below). Note the SDIO slot, power button, sync connector, microphone, and stylus.

Looking at the device from the top, you'll notice the power button and the SD/MMC slot (supporting SDIO accessories). This is where I think the M600 goes one up on some of the newer Pocket PC Phone Edition devices out there, which all use miniSD. SD has a couple of benefits over miniSD: (1) higher capacity, and (2) lower cost. Heck, I could even throw in a third benefit and mention that the vast majority of you probably already have SD cards and would hate to fork out the extra cash just to accessorise a mini-SD-equipped Pocket PC. From the moment I acquired the M600, I had already saved around $70 by avoiding that 1GB miniSD purchase.

One other point worth mentioning is that the SD slot is embedded well within the device. It may be a little hard to remove the SD card if you're not the sort of person with long fingernails, but there's an upside to this seemingly-annoying design. It's not as easy to 'accidentally' eject the SD card, and I'm sure it helps prevent your SD card from flying across the room if you were to drop the device. For obvious reasons, I'm not game enough to drop my M600, so I'll happily keep that point as an assumption.

The bottom of the device contains E-TEN's own synchronisation connector, microphone and stylus. It's a bit awkward having the stylus at the bottom rather than the top. First off, it takes a while to get used to. For the first few days, I found myself reaching for the top of the device without thought, until those gears in my head started to kick in for me to remember that the stylus was now situated at the bottom. Then there's also the worry that the stylus might slip out. Gravity clearly isn't your friend in cases like this, but I think E-TEN took this into consideration by making sure that the stylus would be locked in the device securely. It's always reassuring feeling that solid 'click' as you insert the stylus back into the device.

Figure 9: The M600 stylus in its compact form (above) and in its fully extended form (below).

While on the topic of the stylus, let's talk about its design. Although it employs a telescopic design, it automatically compacts down as you insert the stylus into the device, and extends out as you remove it. Overall, the stylus is built very well - it's of the right length, weight and thickness, and I certainly had no issues using it to write on the screen.

Figure 10: The rear of the M600. Note the 1.3-megapixel camera (with flash) and the speaker adjacent to it.

Figure 11: The rear of the M600 with the battery cover removed.

Looking at the rear of the M600, you'll notice the 1.3-megapixel camera, preview mirror and flash situated in the top-right corner. For a camera-phone, the flash is relatively bright, but probably not bright enough to make a half-decent night shot. However, I'll talk about the camera quality a little later. Situated just below the camera is the speaker. This is different to the one used for phone conversations (unless you enable the speakerphone option). While it makes sense to have this main speaker and the earpiece speaker as two separate components (primarily so you don't blow your eardrum if a loud alarm were to go off), I had issues with the loudness of audio if the device was resting against the palm of my hand or a table. Obviously, when you have something obstructing the speaker, it isn't going to be as loud as it would be when unobstructed. Having said that, it's not a huge dilemma. Even with the speaker obstructed, the sound emanating from it is still very audible.

With the battery cover removed, you'll notice the SIM card slot and the battery holder (which includes a lock switch). The M600 also includes a backup battery, though evidently not visible.

Screen
This is where the M600 shines, thanks to its LTPS TFT-LCD. As I discussed earlier, the benefit of LTPS technology was a higher aperture ratio and thus increased brightness. The M600's screen measures in at 2.8" and is rated at QVGA (240 x 320).

Figure 12: From left, the Dell Axim X50v, E-TEN M600, and the HP iPAQ h1940 - all set at maximum brightness. Background lighting conditions were dull, and all three Pocket PCs were configured to display Word Mobile (white background; some black text). Click the image above for a larger version (1024 x 512).

In total, there are eleven brightness settings on the M600.

The next three images provide some level of comparison in colour reproduction. Overall, the M600's screen excels - whether it displays red, green, or blue. Despite the awesome VGA resolution of the Axim X50v, it appears very washed out compared to the M600, and even the aging iPAQ h1940. I should point out that these four images (one above, three below) aren't entirely accurate (especially Figure 12) - I feel that these images portray the M600's screen as over-exposed when it actually isn't. With the device in-hand, you'll soon realise that the screen's level of brightness, contrast and saturation is simply spot on. Of course, due to the QVGA resolution, images and text won't appear as sharp as they would on a VGA device (such as the Axim X50v).

Figure 13: From left, the Dell Axim X50v, E-TEN M600, and the HP iPAQ h1940 - all set at maximum brightness. Background lighting conditions were dull, and all three Pocket PCs were configured to display an image primarily dominated by red hues. Click the image above for a larger version (1024 x 512).

Figure 14: From left, the Dell Axim X50v, E-TEN M600, and the HP iPAQ h1940 - all set at maximum brightness. Background lighting conditions were dull, and all three Pocket PCs were configured to display an image primarily dominated by green hues. Click the image above for a larger version (1024 x 512).

Figure 15: From left, the Dell Axim X50v, E-TEN M600, and the HP iPAQ h1940 - all set at maximum brightness. Background lighting conditions were dull, and all three Pocket PCs were configured to display an image primarily dominated by blue hues. Click the image above for a larger version (1024 x 512).

Cradle
The M600 cradle, which is rated at 5V/2A, is uniquely circular with a diameter of around ten centimetres. It's made out of a tough, durable plastic, and it feels light - in fact, almost too light (you would almost mistaken it for a Frisbee). But with rubber grips on the bottom, it helps prevent the cradle from sliding around on the table.

Figure 16: The M600 cradle, with the device and stylus inserted into it. A touch of class. A tad dusty too.

The cradle has the added benefit of being able to charge a second battery, even with the M600 docked. Adjacent to it is a charging LED indicator (it's red whilst charging; green when fully charged). Interestingly, there is an indentation within this LED indicator for you to store your stylus. With the stylus situated at the bottom of the device, it makes sense to have it accessible separately whilst the M600 is docked.

Figure 17: The M600 synchronisation cable (which can be connected to the cradle or directly into the device) and AC adapter (which plugs into the synchronisation cable). Note the synchronisation cable alone can be used to charge the device.

Toward the rear of the cradle is a connector for the USB-synchronisation cable and a USB-Host port. Funnily enough, because the M600 no longer supports USB-Host, this port is a bit redundant. However, any M500 inserted into this cradle will be able to make use of it.

Case
The leather belt-clip case that's bundled with the M600 is well-constructed. In fact, it's almost what the i-mate SP5m case should have been (you can read more about that case in Mike Temporale's review over at our sister site, Smartphone Thoughts). The M600 fits snugly within the case as can be seen in Figure 19. The case makes use of a magnetic closure mechanism - it's rather strong, so you won't have to worry about the device falling out at odd angles.

Figure 18: An empty M600 case, closed.

The case also includes a lanyard - perfect for... those dangling occasions.

Figure 19: A shot of the M600 within the case. Note the firm fit.

Evidently, the case doesn't allow for 'in-case' use, though I don't have a real problem with this. I'd much rather use my Pocket PC as-is than have it next to my ear with a flap of leather hanging off it.

And remember how I said black goes well with just about anything? Here's a good example.

Headset
Bundled with the M600 is a 2.5mm stereo headset, complete with a clip, microphone, a call button and a volume dial. It's a multi-purpose headset designed for hands-free phone operation and casual music listening. Surprisingly, the M600's headset delivers better-than-expected audio quality over most other generic headsets. The bass and treble response is rather decent, though I'm sure some sort of DSP-driven enhancement, which the M600 lacks by default, would push it to its full potential. Audio through the headset is adequately loud; enough to shut out any background noise if need be.

Figure 20: The stereo headset connected to the M600.

If you're wanting to use a set of headphones with the M600, you may find that when coupled with certain 3.5mm to 2.5mm stereo adapters, it might not work as expected (with sound being heard in one ear only). Basically, it all boils down to the pinout configuration of the device. The M600's 2.5mm stereo/microphone jack was designed with headsets in mind to allow greater headset interoperability. Naturally, this comes at the cost of lost headphone interoperability, but this is a Pocket PC Phone Edition after all - so, I wouldn't really consider this a design flaw. i-mate K-JAM users may find themselves to be in the same boat, so the only way around this is to purchase a separate 3.5mm to 2.5mm stereo adapter designed for this particular class of device. Pocket PC Techs offers a great selection.

Software
Of course, a piece of hardware is only as good as the software on it, and thankfully, E-TEN hasn't let itself down on this point.

Phone-Related Enhancements in Windows Mobile 5.0
This portion of the review covers basic details on the phone-related enhancements of Windows Mobile 5.0. It should target: (1) those who have yet to find out what a Phone Edition version of Windows Mobile is all about, and (2) those who currently use an older Pocket PC Phone Edition but are interested in seeing what Windows Mobile 5.0 has to offer.

At first glance, you'll notice a few different elements in a Phone Edition. There's a dynamic signal icon situated in the task bar - dynamic, meaning that the number of bars changes according to signal strength. Tapping the icon opens a service information pop-up balloon. If you're connected to the internet via GPRS, you might also notice a 'G' icon (not shown in Figure 21).

Figure 21: Windows Mobile's service information pop-up balloon.

On the same screen, you'll notice Windows Mobile 5.0's addition of soft keys for the Pocket PC (making it similar to the Smartphone platform, but with the added benefit of touch screen support). By default, they are assigned to Phone and Contacts (or Calendar and Contacts if you're using a non-converged device). Some people have argued that it greatly enhances one-handed navigation. Some have argued otherwise. Whatever the case, I'm a firm believer of this one-handed philosophy. I've used Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition devices before and that was the cake. Windows Mobile 5.0's inclusion of soft keys is the icing (double-layered and extra sugary - apologies to the diabetics amongst us). One-handed dialing and contact browsing has never been easier.

So, the Phone application is where it all happens - dialing, answering calls, wading through your call history, and so on. If you don't mind putting thumb to screen, then this is a clear example where one-handed navigation actually works. The keypad is large enough for most thumbs, and the Talk/End button is conveniently placed. Of course, you can use the hardware buttons to answer and end calls as well. You'll notice that with the Phone application active, the two soft keys change. They are now Contacts and Menu. I'll discuss the former when I delve into the much-improved Outlook Mobile. The Menu soft key allows you to flip through a multitude of options - Hold, Mute, Turn Speakerphone On, Turns Hands-free on, and Conference (these are all disabled by default; you can enable them once you're in a call). There's also View Contact, Create Note, Call History, Speed Dial, and Options. It's great having the option to create a quick note during a call - obviously a bit hard with the device next to your ear, but if you're using a headset (whether it be wired or Bluetooth-based) or the speakerphone, you'll find such a feature to be rather valuable. By default, the call history shows a list of all incoming, outgoing and missed calls. There is a filter option in the menu that lets you sort between the three categories, or even by caller. Finally, the speed dial is a feature that most of you should be aware of. Most phones (not just Windows Mobile-based) offer this feature. After assigning a contact to a particular keypad number, you only need to tap and hold on that particular number to make the call. Two-digit speed dialing is also supported.

E-TEN happens to offer a unique dialer skin, which can be seen in Figure 22. They also include a Today theme that goes hand-in-hand with this dialer skin.

Figure 22: Phone-related portions of Windows Mobile 5.0 can be customised by the OEM. Compare this to Figure 23.

Once you're in a call, you'll notice the keypad 'shrinks down' to leave six buttons - Call History, Mute, Hold, Note, Contacts and Talk/End (see Figure 24). This is unlike how Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition acted where the keypad would remain on-screen. A couple of my colleagues dislike this new feature of Windows Mobile 5.0, but I'm not particularly bothered by it. The keypad is only one tap away since it's assigned to the left soft key during a call.

Figure 23: The default (non-customised) version of Windows Mobile 5.0's Dialer application.

What I like about Pocket PC Phone Edition devices is the fact that wireless communications are still active (except Wi-Fi) even when the device is in standby mode, thus greatly enhancing battery life. If there is an incoming call or message whilst the device is in standby, you will still be notified (via an alarm, ring and/or vibration). Wish to have a Bluetooth headset connected to your device? That can be maintained in standby mode too.

Figure 24: Windows Mobile 5.0 'shrinks' the keypad down during a call.

Figure 25: Customising your phone - note the auto-answer and GSM band selection options. And yes, I've done the geek thing by using 24's CTU ringtone.

Perhaps one of the biggest changes to Windows Mobile 5.0 is a greatly-enhanced Contacts view in Outlook Mobile. Tapping on a contact opens up a window similar to Figure 26. Unlike previous versions of Windows Mobile, contacts details are nicely categorised, and the added bonus of having a Phone Edition device is that tapping on any one of these fields will initiate that function (for example, call mobile, call home, send text message, and so on). The addition of icons on the left also gives the interface a bit of a facelift.

Windows Mobile 5.0 now supports the display and synchronisation of contact photos - even better when you have an integrated camera like that of the M600. I don't have any examples to show (mainly because I'm too lazy to be taking hundreds of photos and manually assign them to each and every one of my contacts), but here's an example picture being hosted at Microsoft. With Caller ID enabled, the Phone application will even display that person's picture when he/she is calling you.

Figure 26: The all-new Contacts view in Windows Mobile 5.0. No censorship here - your eyes are deceiving you. Go see an optometrist.

Next on the list is the Messaging application, which is the hub of all SMS, MMS and e-mail messages. Like Contacts, it too has received an interface revamp with support for contact photos as well.

Figure 27: Messaging in Windows Mobile 5.0.

When you receive an SMS message, you'll have the option of replying to it, deleting it, dismissing it, saving it as read, and even calling the sender. Note the pop-up balloon which appears at the bottom of the screen, and the friendly message icon which appears in the taskbar.

Figure 28: What you will see when you receive an SMS message.

If you're one of those people who greatly rely on Microsoft's MSN services and fancy the idea of staying 'always connected', then you'll probably value the inclusion of Pocket MSN. It can be accessed from the Programs menu or directly from the Pocket MSN Today screen plug-in.

Figure 29: Pocket MSN integrates Hotmail, Messenger, and MSN Mobile Home (news, weather, reviews, stocks and more) in one easy-to-use interface.

Windows Mobile 5.0's new 'persistent storage' feature now moves all data from RAM to non-volatile flash ROM. The upside to this is that battery depletion will no longer nuke all your data. Granted, flash ROM is slower, but I haven't noticed any speed-related problems whilst using my M600. In all honesty, it feels just as snappy as my Windows Mobile 2003 devices.

There are also many 'under-the-hood' phone-related changes in Windows Mobile 5.0 aimed at enhancing sound quality, reducing drop-out rates, including new APIs for developers, and so on.

Bundled Applications
E-TEN managed to pack a wealthy collection of applications and plug-ins into the M600, which for the most part, requires manual installation when you first set up the device (courtesy of E-TEN's unified installer, Extra Application Installer - see Figure 30). I'm a huge fan of such a setup because it offers the user the freedom to install only what he/she needs.

Figure 30: E-TEN's 'Extra Application Installer'.

There are a few exceptions: some essential plug-ins are already installed, though it's worth mentioning that you can disable most of these as you see fit.

The first is Quick Link - a Today plug-in that offers quick access to your favourite programs. It supports up to twenty-seven icons with support for multiple lines and a toggle between large and small icons. Another plug-in, known unoriginally as the Battery Meter, sits in the taskbar and displays the state of the battery.

Figure 31: The Today screen, showing Quick Link and the Battery Meter.

Within the Phone application are four plug-ins. Again, these can be disabled if you wish:
  • Zoom SMS: It does what it says, and it's great if you're the sort of person who loathes small text. It also includes a set of buttons - Back, Forward, Reply, Call and Delete.
  • Call Filter: Someone stalking you? This is where Call Filter becomes your best friend. You can add different contacts to an Allow List and/or Block List, as well as assign different functions to each list.
  • Scenarios: Better known as Profiles, this plug-in sits in the system tray and allows you to enable and configure different profiles - General, Meeting, Outdoor, and Silent. If you use or have used a Nokia phone before, then this will all be very familiar to you.
  • New Dialer: This enables and disables the E-TEN-customised dialer skin. See Figure 22 for an example.

Figure 32: The Camera application offers more features than you can poke a stick at. Note there is also an indicator which displays the number of pictures that can be stored on the selected medium (main memory or the SD/MMC card).

The Camera button launches the Camera application. Alternatively, you can use the Camera shortcut located in the Multimedia folder in Programs. It's a feature-rich application which offers extensive customisation. The large icons allow you to use your thumb to change the different settings - even more comfortable when using the device in landscape mode.

E-TEN's Camera application is probably one of the better ones I've seen bundled with any Pocket PC. It supports the capturing of photos and the recording of videos. In the camera mode, you can modify the capture settings (normal, timer, and portrait), orientation (portrait or landscape), flash, date, saving path (\My Documents or \SDMMC), wizard mode, special effects (normal, negative, greyness, retrospective, and mirror), frames, format settings (BMP or JPG), dimensions (1280 x 960, 640 x 480, 320 x 240, and 176 x 144), white balance (auto, incandescence, fluorescence, sunshine, shadow, cloudy, and night), self-timer (between three, five, seven, and ten seconds), and continuous shutter. But it doesn't stop there. Switch over to the video mode, and you can again modify the white balance, dimensions (320 x 240, 176 x 144, and 128 x 96), format settings (3GP only), quality settings (high, medium, and low), audio (enable or disable), special effects, saving path, and wizard mode.

Once you capture an image or video, you're presented with the option of deleting it, or linking it to Messaging (to send as an e-mail), Multimedia Manager (for sorting), MMS Composer (to send as an MMS message), Image Maker, and Image Wizard (for further editing). E-TEN has done a good job at integrating all of its services. I'll provide some example pictures taken from the camera later in the review (but to put it simply, the M600 has a standard quality camera (what I'd expect from most camera-enabled Pocket PCs); obviously, it's not designed to replace a dedicated digital camera, but it's still handy to have around for a few quick snapshots here and there).

The M600 also supports 4x digital zoom. Conveniently, the volume slider button controls this.

Figure 33: E-TEN's Image Wizard and Image Maker applications.

Looking at some of the other major applications - namely, the ones that require installation at startup.
  • Speed Dial: This is an extended version of the speed dial feature already included in Windows Mobile 5.0, supporting two different modes, Index Dial and Frequency Dial. I hardly ever use this application, primarily because I hardly speed dial in the first place, but for those of you who greatly rely on it, this application will prove invaluable.
  • SIM Toolkit: My SIM card wasn't compatible with this application, so I wasn't able to test it out. However, to my understanding, it's very similar to other SIM managers included in most other Pocket PC Phone Edition devices.
  • Image Wizard: This wizard-based application offers a five-step process for quick-editing your images. You can add a frame, text, scribbles, and special effects. If you wish to take it one step further, you can use the more advanced Image Maker.
  • Image Maker: In many ways, I'd label this a mobile version of Microsoft Paint. All the basic tools are there, but if you're wanting something more advanced, then there are third-party alternatives such as Conduits Pocket Artist.
  • Multimedia Manager: This is a simple browser supporting thumbnails and slideshows. Figure 34 shows this.
  • Voice Commander: This is based on Voice Commander by Cyberon - it's a good package offering similar features to Microsoft Voice Command, and it even works well with my Australian accent. The options page allows you to further train the voice recognition as you see fit.
  • M-Desk: As E-TEN's all-in-one program launcher, M-Desk supports theme-enhanced tabs, multiple system indicators, quick shortcuts for modifying the screen orientation, and a lot more. If you're not happy with Windows Mobile's default Programs interface, then M-Desk offers a very good alternative. With this installed, the M600 automatically assigns M-Desk to the Home button. If you wish to use that button for something else, you can always open up Windows Mobile's Settings page and reassign it.

Figure 34: E-TEN's Multimedia Manager offers large thumbnails for quick previewing media files.

Figure 35: E-TEN's M-Desk program launcher is a good alternative to the default Programs interface of Windows Mobile.

In addition, there are some minor applets such as Add Ringtone, CSD Type (for modem simulation), and Microphone (for adjusting audio-in settings during phone conversations, voice recordings, and when using Bluetooth headsets).

The M600 also includes Skype, but my particular ROM didn't have it, primarily because there are some stability issues with the current version of Skype and Windows Mobile 5.0. However, the upcoming Skype 1.2 for Pocket PC should be released shortly and will be bundled on all M600 devices. The Samsung S3C2440A 400MHz processor is certainly fast enough to support it.

Performance
From the start of the review, I said the device was snappy. Here's the proof.

Memory (RAM)
Under Windows Mobile 5.0's 'persistent storage' model, RAM is used purely for program execution, whilst flash ROM is used for data storage. Now, at the time I received my M600, I had heard some pretty shocking stories about the i-mate JASJAR chewing up RAM unexpectedly, so I thought I'd put the M600 to the test to see if it was in the same boat. Of the 64MB RAM in the M600, 49.01MB is usable. At the time, plug-ins I had running on my Today screen were Date, Owner Information, Messaging, Spb Diary, Pocket MSN, and Device Lock. That load, plus the requirements to keep Windows Mobile 5.0 running, had 17.67MB of RAM being consumed on startup, leaving 31.34MB for use.

With that in mind, I decided to put the device under some real pressure. Being the raging multi-tasker that I am, I turned on Wi-Fi and launched E-TEN's Wireless Manager, Internet Explorer Mobile, Excel Mobile, PowerPoint Mobile, Word Mobile, Resco Explorer 2005, Calendar, and Contacts. After leaving all applications open for thirty minutes and using Internet Explorer Mobile to browse some of my favourite sites, the Memory applet stated that 21.80MB is in use. That huge load had used a mere 4.13MB of RAM, quite unlike that of the JASJAR, and even an Axim X51v I played around with last week.

Wireless (Phone, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi)
Where I live, major centres tend to have excellent GSM coverage, so in using the M600, I've had zero problems with signal dropout. In fact, 99% of the time, I enjoy full signal strength. Overall, voice quality is excellent - the earpiece speaker is definitely loud enough for conversations.

Figure 36: The Wireless Manager application is very simple to use. Icons on the left enable and disable each form of wireless communication, whilst icons on the right configures each one.

E-TEN's Wireless Manager, which can be launched via the Today screen, is as easy to use as it appears. The M600 features Bluetooth 1.2 (Class 2), supporting roughly ten metres. It uses an E-TEN-customised version of the Microsoft Bluetooth stack (with support for AKU 1.1), which visually, looks very similar to the Widcomm stack, supporting most of the well-known services that most of you are familiar with (headset partnerships, device browsing, ActiveSync via Bluetooth, file transfers, and business card exchanges).

Figure 37: E-TEN M600 + Bluetooth Headset: 100% Geek.

The M600's 802.11b Wi-Fi is accompanied by WLAN Utility. Thanks to the speed improvements in Internet Explorer Mobile, browsing feels fast. Who needs EDGE when you have Wi-Fi?

Figure 38: The WLAN Utility display key network details and allows you to configure certain aspects of Wi-Fi.

Camera
I stated earlier that the image quality produced by the M600's camera was what I expected from any camera-enabled Pocket PC - nothing great, yet nothing shabby. I've included a couple of example pictures below. Both are 960 x 1280 when enlarged.

Figure 39: An outdoor picture of a lemon tree, taken on a bright, sunny day with some shade cover being provided by surrounding trees. Click the image above for a larger version (960 x 1280).

Figure 40: Another outdoor picture, taken late afternoon. Click the image above for a larger version (960 x 1280).

Battery Life
In my opinion, benchmarking Pocket PC Phone Edition devices for battery life has little value. Usage patterns vary considerably from person to person, so I feel it's best if I deliver an account of my daily usage patterns.

On the phone side of things, I might talk for one to two hours and send a couple of SMS messages each day. Bluetooth might be running for half a day (even in standby) as my Bluetooth headset is connected to the device. On the PDA side of things, I might have Wi-Fi turned on, browse the internet and check my e-mail for around an hour a day. I tend to use the device to listen to music for around two hours a day. I ritualistically use Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, Spb Finance, Resco File Explorer, FlexWallet 2006 and Resco Photo Viewer - altogether totaling another one to two hours. Considering the aforementioned, I tend to have roughly 60% of battery power left (an average figure I arrived at after a week of solid testing).

The M600 includes a 1440mAh Li-Ion battery. The official E-TEN specifications sheet states that the battery can get you through 3.5-4.0 hours of talk time, 150-200 hours of standby time, and 10-15 hours of standard Pocket PC usage. In light of my usage patterns, I'd say that these figures don't lie.

Overall, I'm very happy with the M600's battery life. Based on my usage patterns, I've managed to go for two to three days without worrying about charging the battery. In fact, all this time, I've been using the M600 at medium brightness. Given the superb quality of the LTPS TFT-LCD, I have no hesitation in tuning it down to the second lowest setting over the next week to see how battery life works out.

Benchmarks
I put the M600 through the most relevant tests of Spb Benchmark and compared it to other devices running Windows Mobile 5.0 - namely, the Dell Axim X50v (upgraded to Windows Mobile 5.0) and the i-mate JASJAR.

Figure 41: This is the overall index provided by Spb Benchmark. I've said it time and time again - the M600 feels fast, and these results prove it. 'Power' devices such as the i-mate JASJAR and Dell Axim X50v can only wonder what went wrong.

Figure 42: This is the CPU index. Nothing surprising here - comparatively, the M600 features a 400MHz processor, whilst the JASJAR and X50v feature 520MHz and 624MHz processors respectively. The take-home message here is the M600's Samsung processor isn't slow, contrary to rumours that Samsung's processors do not live up to Intel's. In case you're wondering how it performs in TCPMP, I can assure you that video playback is very smooth.

Figure 43: The file system index shows that on an overall basis, the M600 performs better at reading and writing files than the X50v and JASJAR.

Figure 44: Take this with a grain of salt. It appears that Spb Benchmark still hasn't been optimised for the X50v/X51v's Intel 2700G GPU. However, as far as basic graphical sub-system performance goes, the M600 does a good job.

Figure 45: When it comes to the performance of common Pocket PC applications, the M600 clearly shines. In this test, Spb Benchmark puts it through vigorous operations in Internet Explorer Mobile, Word Mobile, and File Explorer.

Availability
A Chinese version of the M600 was released in Taiwan a couple of weeks ago. If you're in the Asian region, you should be able to pick one up through local resellers. An English version of the M600 is planned for release on November 28; Shaston SA is distributing it throughout Europe and the Middle East, and is pricing it at �557 (without VAT). It has also been said that TORQ, the U.S. supplier of E-TEN's devices, will be releasing this unit as the P100w. No word yet on their release date or price.

Conclusions
The E-TEN M600 is one cool Pocket PC Phone Edition that I would hate to be without. With quad-band GSM/GPRS support, Bluetooth 1.2, 802.11b Wi-Fi, and E-TEN's value-added applications, the M600 offers plenty of bang for buck. It's a well-built Pocket PC that is relatively lightweight and comfortable to hold. Despite a few minor irks, the M600 triumphs with its excellent LTPS TFT-LCD, strong all-round performance, and good battery life.

Darius Wey loves technology! When he's not working at this web site, he's busy working for his medical degree (MBBS) and dabbling in audio and video editing, web and graphic design, photography and the odd bit of programming. He lives in Perth, Western Australia.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:01 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage
Default Its beauty and brains all in !!

This phone seems to be a complete package. IMO, this has the potential to surpass the sales of o2 atom because it excels over it in some areas.

The best part is that it makes the o2 exec tastes its dust in benchmark test(tho it may be due to exec's VGA display)

Love it and want it !!

SUnny

Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

No infrared? Are they serious? Do they assume all Pocket PCs have bluetooth file transfer capabilities? They don't. :|

Old 11-29-2005, 06:24 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Excellent review! That must have taken quite a bit of time. I'm really surprised by the brightness of the screen and the M600's overall performance.

This is a rockin' device that is about as close to perfect for my needs as I can hope for right now. If it only had EDGE, I'd be in Heaven! Now that San Francisco is going to have WiFi everywhere for free, it won't be as much an issue.

I just hope the price stays around $650.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:00 PM
CookieKid
Pupil

Wicked review! Very thorough and detailed! Much appreciated it! :mrgreen:

Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Nice review Darius!

I love the screen on that and the case too! 8)

Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
No infrared? Are they serious? Do they assume all Pocket PCs have bluetooth file transfer capabilities? They don't. :|
I wonder though, how often people use infrared? I can honestly say I've haven't used IR on a Pocket PC in probably two years...it's just not that common in my world, though I'm sure for some it is. Poll time!

Old 11-29-2005, 08:24 PM
carphead
Thinker

Never thought I'd suffer from cradle envy.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 PM
phreaker18
Intellectual

i was looking frantically all over the net for a decent review of the M600 and lo and behold God said here i give u Darius... ur an angel dude.. u rock.... thanx a lot... but hey tell me if i want to buy an ETEN in inida how do i go about doing it?

very detailed ...... excellent work

i hope i didnt disturb u by this email.... just couldnt stop myself.

thanx

Old 11-29-2005, 09:44 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
The M500, which was launched back in December 2004, had one major shortcoming. Much like the HTC Wizard, it lacked integrated Wi-Fi. If you wanted to add the functionality, it would be delivered by way of an SDIO Wi-Fi card.
You made a mistake here in the "What's Changed" section. I think you meant Magician.

Great review though :mrgreen: Won't take my Wizard away though, its a winner :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: