Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Bluefire VPN Client for Pocket PC

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=5469

"Bluefire Security Technologies, Inc. is making available a Virtual Private Network (VPN) client software for use by Cisco networking customers with portable handheld devices operating Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 5.0. Bluefire made the new VPN application available after its Bluefire Mobile Security Suite 3.5 and Bluefire Mobile Security VPN 2.0 applications has met the Cisco Technology Developer Program criteria for interoperability with the Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator."

Ahh, the VPN, something that makes my life easier and I'm sure most of yours as well. However, WM devices usually aren't much good at connecting to VPN setups that aren't Microsoft-based or require proprietary software. For those of you with Cisco VPN configurations, this new client available may alleviate some of the headaches of leaving the office while using your Pocket PC.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:32 PM
i_spock
Ponderer

I am very interested in trying this. My employer has a Citrix portal but the Citrix PPC client is clunky and I've never really been able to get it to work right.

We also have Outlook Web Access, which I find is usable in a pinch to read email from my PPC, so I don't think I'd be using this to activesync remotely. As a network admin though there are tons of things I could do via VPN on my PPC that would help me do my job- telnet/ssh into devices, view logs, create and update trouble tickets, view MRTG pages, term serv into my work desktop, test vpn concentrator config changes, etc.

Does anyone know how much they're asking for a license, if there's a trial available, and where to buy it?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Skorpyo
Neophyte

Apani www.apani.com also makes a VPN client for for Cisco & Nortel VPNs for WM2003SE units. Not sure of their progress on a WM5 compatible version, but I've used their Cisco client on my x50v and it works pretty well. A little chunky on the interface cause it's not VGA compatible, but that was a few versions ago so they may have updated since then.

Skorpyo

Old 11-22-2005, 01:59 AM
Peseta
Pupil

In our company we use a Sonicwall firewall/VPN router with "Pocket Global VPN Client" for our PPC's. Not (yet ?) WM5 compliant.
Not an issue in our case: the only PPC's used at this moment are iPAQ 4700 and Loox 720. So in half a year and never respectively for a WM5 upgrade should be enough time :roll:.

Incidently, not many reactions on this subject.
Makes me wonder how many of you use your device in a corporate environment.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Is BlueFire Security dead? I can't hit www.bluefiresecurity.com anywhere except from web archives or search engine caches. Can't ping or tracert it either. I wanted to try out their VPN client for PPC to compare with the offering from Antha. We need to connect to a Cisco VPN and of course, Cisco doesn't offer a PocketPC/WM client.

Any ideas? Can anyone still hit it? If so, can you give me an IP address to try instead of a domain?

Thanks.

-Peter Schott