Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default IOGear Bluetooth Stereo Headphone Kit Reviewed

Product Category: Audio Accessories
Manufacturer: IOGear
Where to Buy: Headphone Kit (GBMHKIT); Headphones alone (GBMH201); Audio Transmitter alone (GMA201)
Price: Headphone Kit - $159.99 USD; Headphones alone - $91.99 USD; Audio Transmitter alone - $91.99 USD
System Requirements: Pocket PC Mobile 2003 SE, if using the headphones standalone; None, really, if using the BT Audio Transmitter.
Specifications: Weight: Headphones = 0.20 lbs (90.7g), Transmitter = 0.05 lbs (22.7g) Freq. Range 20Hz � 20KHz @ -3dB. A full set of specifications can be found here.

Pros:
  • Light weight;
  • Excellent sound quality (when paired with the supplied bluetooth audio transmitter);
  • Simple to install (using the transmitter);
  • Able to simultaneously connect to phone and audio source, and provide interruptible call retrieval;
  • Terrific set of accessories provided.
Cons:
  • Pricy;
  • Range is a bit less than specified;
  • Non-replaceable batteries.
Summary: While not the first to produce bluetooth-enabled headphones, IOGear has produced a set which truly lives up to the promise of the �virtual cable� connection. In conjunction with the supplied audio transmitter and using the latest bluetooth audio profiles, this headphone is comfortable, easy to use and produces amazing sound.

Read On for the full review!

Introduction
Bluetooth-enabled stereo headphones have long been on my Christmas Wish List, but the cost and the reports I�d read about the resultant sound quality available through bluetooth had put me off. I�ve also dreamed of having a bluetooth earpiece for use on my bike, so I could keep connected to my cell phone while on the way to work and back home. And of course, I wanted it all in one package!!

So, when the chance came along to review the new IOGear GBMH201 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone Kit, I jumped at it right away. It was certainly an experience getting everything set up. It wasn�t that difficult using the transmitter and headphones provided in the kit, but I wanted to play with the set a bit to determine its full capabilities. So, there was a bit of exploration into uncharted territory. I�ll explain as we go along.

Packaging and Contents
The Headphone Kit which I reviewed comes in the now ubiquitous clear plastic, bubble-wrap package sealed around the edge. For a reviewer like me, these are the bane of my existence, since it�s almost impossible to open these things while leaving any portion of it intact for return to the manufacturer.

Figure 1: IOGear�s GBMH201 packaging.

At first glance, it appears as if all you get are the headphones and the bluetooth transmitter, but hidden in the bottom half (under the grey label) is a plethora of accessories and connectors.

Figure 2: The AC to USB power adapter.

Figure 3: Supplied power cables. Note the European power adapter and use of the micro-power plugs (yellow tipped) and the splitter provided)

Figure 4: Audio cables supplied with the package.

Figure 5: And you even get a carrying bag with additional earpiece covers.

So, here�s what you get:
  • Stereo Headphones (aka GBMH201, if you want to order it separately);
  • Bluetooth Audio Transmitter (GBMA201, also available separately);
  • AC to USB power adapter;
  • Detachable microphone on a bendable stalk which plugs into the headphones;
  • Adapter cable � mini-phone (3.5mm) to RCA plug;
  • Adapter cable � mini-phone (3.5mm) to 1/4" stereo phone;
  • Extension cable � mini-phone (3.5mm);
  • Power cable splitter (so you can charge the headphones and the transmitter at the same time);
  • Quick Start Guide and;
  • Cloth carrying bag.
Whew, that�s a lot to cram into any package! I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't �North America-centric�, in that connectors were provided for European standards as well. It appears that IOGear has thought of just about everything.

Charging Them Up
Both the headphones and the transmitter are powered by non-accessible/non-replaceable (as far as I could see) rechargeable cells, so the first order of business was to charge everything up. IOGear thoughtfully provides a splitter cable from the power adapter which can be used to charge them up simultaneously and the Quick Start Guide suggests you charge them for about two hours prior to first use. Although it looked like they came charged, I decided to not take any chances. When you plug them in, the charging cycle is identified by a red LED on the headphones and the audio transmitter. I found that the red LEDs went out (signifying the batteries were charged) after about an hour, but I decided to keep it charging for the full two hours, just in case.

Pairing the Headphones Only
So, now comes the experimentation part. Normally the headphones are supposed to be used in conjunction with the supplied audio transmitter, but being a bit of a bluetooth first adopter in my work, I decided to try pairing the headphones directly to my Axim X50v using the existing Bluetooth drivers.

As Ed, Jason and others having pointed out, it�s not quite as easy and straightforward as the �toothers� would have you believe. First off, don�t fall in to the trap of simply turning all the bluetooth stuff on and trying to discover services available. You�ll end up with messages saying things like �No services are available�. Here�s how I made the connection.

Note: All these shots are on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. I didn�t have WM5 running on my Axim at that time, and now I don�t have the headphones to show you how that connection looks. NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT NECESSARY FOR OPERATION WITH THE AUDIO TRANSMITTER!

First, turn on the headphones and place it in Discovery mode by pressing the power button in the centre of the headset for about two to three seconds. A blue LED will begin flashing. Then go into the Bluetooth Manager on the Pocket PC, and select Pairing. You should see a screen like this.

Figure 6: Adding a new Bluetooth Device (WM2003 SE).

Tapping on the search icon to the right of the Device box, your Pocket PC should go out and try to find who�s out there. It should discover the IOGEAR Headphones and return with a screen that looks like:

Figure 7: The Headphones have been discovered!.

Now, as per IOGEAR�s suggestion, input a passkey of �0000� and tap OK. That will establish the headphones as a �paired device� with your Pocket PC. OK, so now we can connect up the services. Back at the Bluetooth Manager on the Pocket PC, start up the Connection Wizard and select the Handsfree/Headset Setup option.

Figure 8: Selecting the Handsfree / Headset option.

From there, it should automagically identify the IOGear Headphones as the appropriate device and you are off to the races!

I have to admit I was singularly unimpressed by the quality of audio available using the bluetooth drivers provided with the Dell Axim. There was considerable hiss, the overall sound was very muddy with lots of pops and crackles. It sounded like most of the upper frequencies (above 8 to 10 KHz) were missing and it certainly was hard listening to music for any appreciable length of time. I was able to walk away about 35 feet (10m) from the Axim before I lost the signal.

I was also able to successfully connect with my Nokia 3650 cell phone using a similar process (pair first, then connect). The audio quality was similar to that of the Axim X50v � not quite as much hiss, but muffled and missing a lot of the higher end frequencies. The neat part of pairing with a cell phone was that when a call comes in, the headphones generate a call ring (similar to that found on regular North American landlines � single long ring � and you answer the call by tapping the power button on the headset. The supplied microphone plugs into a jack located at the bottom of the right earpiece (sorry about that, left-handers).

Figure 9: Headphone with the mike plugged in.

As reported by others, audio from the microphone was a little muffled, but definitely clear and understandable. They could also clearly recognize my voice and didn�t get a lot of extraneous pickup from other noise sources around me. Unfortunately, using the built-in bluetooth stack in my Dell, I wasn�t able to simultaneously connect the headphones to the Dell and the phone, something that was intimated by the Quick Start Guide as possible to do.

Now, With the Supplied B/T Transmitter...
OK, so now I�ve had my bit of exploratory fun � let�s do this the way things were intended to be connected!

Figure 10: The IOGear Bluetooth Audio Transmitter.

Figure 11: A shot of the Transmitter�s Pair/Connect button and LED.

Pairing with IOGear�s supplied bluetooth audio transmitter is much simpler. Press the power button on the headset for a couple of seconds, until the blue LED starts flashing, then press the Connect/Pair button on the transmitter for a second or two and wait for both blue LEDs to go solid, indicating that pairing has completed. Then, you plug the transmitter�s audio plug into an available jack, and voila � sound emits from the headphones. And I have to say WOW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY!

The hiss is completely gone, replaced with beautiful, full-fidelity stereo (to use an antiquated, but accurate term). The sound quality is easily equal to that of a corded headset (and in many cases, much better than some of the less expensive headset/earbud combinations). My guess is that this is the difference between using the basic audio headset profile vs. the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). Now the headsets are running at the frequency response shown in the specifications. Generally, the sound is quite listenable and frequency response is fairly flat through the audible range. My ears are getting a bit old, so I miss stuff above about 15Khz, but few if any musicians produce sounds above this threshold anyway.

One of the great advantages of using the Bluetooth Audio Transmitter (aside from much better sound quality), is that it instantly provides Bluetooth capability to anything with an audio output jack. This would include radios, MP3 players, TV sets, etc.

Range was pretty much the same as with the direct pairing � about 35 feet (10m). It�s not quite the 20m in the specifications, but the building I was testing in is notorious for killing radio frequencies in any band (FM Radio is almost impossible in here).

And.. the extra bonus...I was able to pair the headphones with my Dell and my phone at the same time! Pretty cool being able to listen to music, then interrupt it to answer a phone call when it comes in.

On the headphones, there are also forward/back buttons on the right side of the headset for using the Advanced Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) to control your music/video device.

Figure 12: Back of the Headphones, showing the selection buttons around the edge.

Unfortunately, I�m one of those luddites who uses his Pocket PC to play music, so I don�t have an iPOD to test out these capabilities.

Comfort
According to the specifications, the headphones weigh about 0.20 lbs (about 3.2 oz or 90.7 grams) which to my head, feels quite light. A good deal lighter than the Radio Shack and AudioVox full-ear enclosure headphones from the '70s that I used to wear. Instead of an over-the-head support, they utilize the more currently common hook-over-the-ear, behind the head concept.

Figure 13: Wearing the IOGear Bluetooth Stereo Headphones. Not too geeky, is it?

Generally, they feel like you�re wearing a pair of those fluffy winter earmuffs. I tested them for longevity by listening to music all during an 8-hour work day, (yes, it was one of those days where I just have to write, and not particularly deal with anyone � it happens...). At the end of the day, the headphones were still pretty comfortable, and I didn�t feel like there were big gouges in my ears.

I also tried wearing the headphones with the microphone attachment on the way home on my bike, paired with my phone. Again, the fit was comfortable, and my bike helmet straps came over top of the earpieces to keep everything in place securely. The nice thing about the design is that it doesn�t completely block out external sounds, while giving full-body to what you want to hear. Thus, I was easily able to hear traffic noise, etc., while I was biking. The pairing worked well on the bike, easily able to connect to the phone in the panniers over the back wheel, and it kept me available and connected all the way home. Because I wear a yellow reflective biking jacket similar to the local constabulary, many people said I looked just like one of the bike patrol with the mic in front of my face.

Battery Life
As mentioned above, the headphones and audio transmitter come with LithiumIon rechargeable batteries built-in. I didn�t see any way to access them without taking the headphones apart. A charger is provided which takes approximately 2 hours to fully charge them � either separately or simultaneously. I wasn�t able to get accurate readings on the charge levels, but I ran the headphones and audio transmitter playing music throughout an 8-hour day with no problems, and there still appeared to be charge in the batteries at the end of the day. The specifications provided by IOGear say the batteries are 550 mAh and the power consumption is 42mA for a straight link, 83mA for music playback and 49mA for talking through the headset. Thus, if you work the math, you should be able to get at least 6-7 hours of music playback (I did better!) and 11 hours of talk time when connected to a phone.

Conclusions
This is definitely a package I could grow to love and use each day. I felt sad when I had to send the sample back to IOGear, since the headphones met so many of my requirements. Oh well, at least I have something specific to put on my Christmas Wish List this year.

Actually, the picture doesn't look as geeky as I thought it would. As a consultant working for Fujitsu, Don loves having the only bluetooth-enabled cubicle in the building.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Peter Traugot
Ponderer

I wonder how these compare in audio fidelity to the HP bluetooth headset.

the 4700 has the A2DP profile (or at least it does when you buy the HP headset, anyone have any comments?

The HP's (in my circumstances ) tend to have audio breaks and drops.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Yes, I wonder how the audible would work in different devices. My primary use for this headphone is to listen to music, then take calls. If the music part stinks, then this device won't work for me.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

These paired with the Dell with the headset profile are bound to have poor audio. That's not a hi-fidelity profile, but rather a voice profile designed for voice headsets, mono and mic. That is also why you couldn't pair the phone and the Dell simultaneously, you were trying to use the same profile twice on the headphones. You would need the stereo specific A2DP profile on the Dell to male use of both the stereo and headset capabilities of the headphones at the same time.

There is a version of the HP drivers designed for their headphones that will load and work on the Dell, giving it A2DP capabilities. The quality of the stereo transmission when supported by the PPC will be variable depending on the stress the PPC happens to be under. The HP headphones will likely work much better on the 4700 if used with the transmitter that these come with.

It's a shame that more PPCs don't come with the A2DP profile, or more headphone manufacturers don't supply it. Supposedly the next update from MS to WM5, the one with the security features that enable push e-mail, includes A2DP in the MS BT stack. Hope the OEMs using it don't strip it out, and actually provide it.

If you are watchful when you get a BT dongle for your PC that supports the A2DP, you'll find these headphones work pretty well for that too.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Farmer Ted
Pupil

How did you get Greg Brady to pose for that picture?
(Can't believe I registered just for that!)

Old 12-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Rubberman
Pupil

Did you try to listen to anything on the Internet (Resco Radio?) using the Wi-Fi radio simultaneously with the BT headphones? I have a pair of HP BT headphones on my HP4700 and I'm ready to return them because they will not allow me to have both radios running together without major static. I enjoy my MP3 recordings, but since I cannot listen to NPR (or anything else on Resco Radio) they fall short of the mark I was expecting.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:19 AM
jasoncli
Pupil

This sounds great, but I am still looking for both an earphone and speaker solution. I carry my laptop around the house, and as I walk around the house I would like my speakers to "wake up" and simply play the music as I move from room to room. I dont need to fancy of speakers, but some basic battery operated ones, would do fine for my needs. Same transmitter for both the speaker and headphones, then I am sold. Until then I will wait.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
weisco
Pupil
Default QUALITY OF BUILD--especially the connector between headphones

Almost a year ago I purchased the HP Bluetooth headphones. I have managed to break 4 of them in a year!!! I am not a person who is hard on electronics--most get put into a box working perfectly after a period of time for something newer.

The HP's have a terrible design (which it looks like Logitech recently rebranded for themselves) of a plastic band connecting the headphones which has cracked regardless of how careful I am with the HP's. Forget you have them on and lay down, pull a shirt over your head...whatever and they're cracked.

Did IOGear use a flexible material that won't break when you jog the headphones with a bicycle helmet or are they similar to HP's crappy design?

Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
jickbahtech
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to jickbahtech

I've been using the PDA2K Bluetooth stack for A2DP on my ipaq, and these headphones work great in high quality audio mode.

As you can see in the review the earpeices swivel, and the headphone is much more robust peice of plastic than the Logitechs. I still wished they could fold up, but in all they are a much better design than the hp/Logitechs.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Rubberman
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberman
Did you try to listen to anything on the Internet (Resco Radio?) using the Wi-Fi radio simultaneously with the BT headphones? I have a pair of HP BT headphones on my HP4700 and I'm ready to return them because they will not allow me to have both radios running together without major static. I enjoy my MP3 recordings, but since I cannot listen to NPR (or anything else on Resco Radio) they fall short of the mark I was expecting.

Concerning the above question, has anyone else experienced this? or am I alone with this problem?

Regards, G.W. Quigley