Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default This Is So Off Topic But My Blood Boils Just Thinking About It - More Sony DRM

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

Sorry. This is my last DRM/Sony post for the week, but what in the world are these loons thinking? (Please read the rest of this post with the understanding I am banging with considerable pressure on my keyboard and there may even be some spittle flying here and there.) Sony has applied for a patent that would put render Playstation 3 games unplayable on any console but the one it was first played on. No selling it, no taking it to a friends house and forget your entire collection if you get a newer playstation a year or so later or get a second playstation for the minivan for those long road trips.

"A PATENT may allow Sony to ensure that no game would be playable from any console other than the one in which it was first read. Joystiq is reporting that this patent is the source of the many rumours that will mean as much to gamers as DRM is for music fans. The technology would allow an authentication code to be read and then rendered unreadable, making the software unplayable on any machine but the one which first read it."

The insanity of it all. :evil: This is enough to make me stop buying anything Sony makes. Oh, wait. I started doing that in the late 90's.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:10 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

If this were to come to be, say good-bye to lan parties and game rentals at blockbuster and gamefly.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch

Congratulations Sony! :beer:

You have offically still-borned the PS3!

It is one thing to attempt to protect your intellectual property from piracy but holy smokes this is taking it to the highest degree.

Now we all know if Microsoft tried to pull this off they would be back in front of the DOJ and the courts before they could say "unfair competitive advantage". :robot:

Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 PM
duncanhbrown
Pupil
Default Oh No, it's a Sony!

I used to think, "It's a Sony."

Now I think, "Oh No, it's a Sony."

Perhaps they're doing this so that people will buy the CDs and memory and devices from all the other manufacturers, because they look so much better by comparison. Kind of a loss-leader strategy.

Or, to quote one of my favorite bosses,

"What were they thinking?!"

Duncan H. Brown
Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine
www.pocketpcmag.com

Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
jerboa
Pupil

As much as I drool over the PS3, the proprietary Memory Sticks and now this will make it much easier for me not to part with my money!

Enough is enough, Sony!!!

I might even have to look at an XBox 360 instead! 8O

Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

I really doubt this will be employed becuse as soon as the first person posts that this in fact exists on the PS3, goodbye sales!

Thank goodness for the internet and forums! It pulls back the balls of companies who try stupid sh@$@ like this

that NVIDIA 7800GT SLI is starting to look attractive!

now if we can only prosecute EA for Battlefield 2 ...... :evil:

Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Dr. Grabow
Pupil

Have faith in the power of the market. If this is true, goodbye PS3.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:21 PM
applejosh
Philosopher

I don't see how this could be true. The rental business, not to mention just borrowing games fom friends and such, is what drives the business. "Hey Fred, can I borrow your <whatever> game?" "Sure" "That was a great game. I'm going to go get it."

While I'm sure people have found a way to copy those things, I know of no one who has copied a game console disc. So I doubt it's as much of a problem as they are alluding to. But who knows. Glad I got an Xbox.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

This kind of thing makes me regret my last Sony purchase which was a laptop. I am through with them.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 PM
MG
Ponderer

I think Bill Gates himself may have given Sony the idea... right before the launch of the Xbox 360. Can anybody say "PS3 DOA"?

Mark