Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Garmin Introduces the iQue M4

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQueM4/

"Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today introduced the iQue M4, a new addition to Garmin's personal digital assistant product line. The iQue M4 is Garmin's first iQue to come pre-loaded with highly detailed City Navigator North America NT street data of the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. "The M4's pre-loaded maps and Pocket PC features make it a versatile tool for mobile professionals who need an all-in-one device designed to help them stay ahead of their schedule and on route to their next appointment," said Gary Kelley, Garmin�s vice president, marketing. The iQue M4 uses Garmin's familiar StreetPilot interface that greets users with two recognizable options � "Where to?" and "View map." By incorporating larger, more intuitive navigational icons, it is possible for users to select icons with their finger, rather than a stylus. After using the touchscreen to enter information about the destination � such as the name or street address � the driver will be given detailed, turn-by-turn, voice prompted directions. Destinations may also be selected through the points of interest (POIs) database, which includes nearly six million POIs such as restaurants, fuel, banks and hotels."

Garmin has just introduced the iQue M4 GPS Pocket PC for use in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. The device, which is expected to be made available in December for $749.99 (USD), includes an Intel PXA271 312MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 32MB ROM, USB, IrDA, an SDIO/MMC expansion slot, an integrated GPS flip-up antenna, a 1250mAh Li-ion battery, a 3.5" QVGA (240 x 320) screen, and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Too little, too late?

Old 11-02-2005, 07:05 AM
mbranscum
Thinker

Looks VERY thin....Anyone know the deminsions?

Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum
Looks VERY thin....Anyone know the deminsions?
It is 2.83" x 5.04" x 0.75" (or 72mm x 128mm x 19mm), weighing in at 5.9oz (166g).

Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

Looks very nice and elegant..but now I surmise that GSM is must for any gps device in order to become 'attractive' to the normal public(aint to the geeks !!).

just my 10 cents

Old 11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpcadmirer
Looks very nice and elegant..but now I surmise that GSM is must for any gps device in order to become 'attractive' to the normal public(aint to the geeks !!).

just my 10 cents
I disagree - sales in Europe show that telephony and GPS individually are seen as killer features in a PDA. Certainly a device with both might be seen as having an advantage (depending on other features perhaps) - but right now GPS is driving PDA sales very well by itself.

I reckon we will see the market split into three - GPS, telephony enabled and 'multimedia' (built-in HDs, GPUs etc.) - all successful segments.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
CookieKid
Pupil

Is it me or does that look extremely similar to the Palm T series? 8O

Old 11-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieKid
Is it me or does that look extremely similar to the Palm T series? 8O
Are you kidding? 8O I think the two look very different.