Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Embedded No More: Nevo 2.0 - Now Available Separately

http://www.mynevo.com/index.php

"With Nevo, accessing every infrared (IR) controlled device in the home or office has never been easier or faster. Control more than 20 device types, such as televisions, VCRs, DVDs, audio, lights, fans, and other home automation devices. Configure the look and feel of Nevo to reflect your personal preferences."

If you happen to have Nevo bundled with one of your iPAQs, you'll know how functional and slick the program and its GUI really is. Now Nevo Remote 2.0 is available as a separate purchase through Handango for $12.95. It supports devices running Pocket PC 2002 up to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition (no word yet on Windows Mobile 5.0 compatibility). Unfortunately, there is no trial version available for download. [Affiliate]

Update: Please read the user comments in this thread before contemplating a purchase.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM
kiwi
Thinker
Default no demo??!

no demo? so... how am I going to test this software works nicely on my ipaq 2410 ??? Ie. will it work more than 1ft away from the IR receiver or not!!??

Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I saw this on PocketGear.com as well, but who'd want to spend the money for a program you're not sure if it's going to work at all (or just well) on the device?

Their website is just as pointless as well, as they don't seem to discuss their products - just seems to be a bunch of marketing and corporate double-talk.

If anyone has been able to try it out, please let us know.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I can understand why there is no trial. Up to now it has always been embeddded in the ROM of a device. I notice there is no Key required on the Handango version. I expect they didn't go through ther development hassle to incorporate a key and timeout, so a trial would be the full version. What do you suppose their trial download to purchase ratio would be.

Shame though, because the effectiveness is really dependent on the hardware IR capability. I'm sure most that have it on a PPC, wouldn't hesitate to endorse the software itself.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
mhynek
Ponderer

Price: $12.95
Submitted: 10/22/05
Version: 2.0
Downloads: 0
Registration Key: No key required
Categories:
User Rating: Not Yet Rated
Support: [email protected]
All Products by Nevo, Inc.

@yahoo.com? What gives? (taken from Handango)

Old 10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
kiwi
Thinker

I just sold my ipaq 3115 which had this in ROM. Its a geat application.
Can anyone recomment a remote control software/hardware package to work with the Ipaq 2410 ?

Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM
silver99
Ponderer

I had this software on my old iPaq 5450 and really worked well for me. I had great range and could easily configure the remote to work with TV sets in waiting rooms that didn't let you change channels.

If it works for other device like it worked on the 5450 then it's worth every penny.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

I'm not sure I would accept everything I read on the Remote Central web sited http://www.remotecentral.com but they do have discussions about Nevo and remote software that runs on PDAs. They seem to be more slanted towards Pocket PC rather than Palm. They seem to like PDAwin http://www.pdawin.com/ but I don't have any experience with that program. Anyway, it's another place to look if you don't find what you need here.

Personally I like Nevo on my rx3715 but I know there are problems with IR on other PDAs and have been disappointed with performance of onboard IR. The Griffin Technology remote works well with many different PDAs but has limited capabilities. Sadly, it does seem they've lost interest in it.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
MasterOfMoo
Ponderer

:|

I've had this program available previously on one or more iPAQs I've used or tested and loved the application itself... on those devices.

I currently own a Dell Axim x50v and I'm going to give it a shot (solely because my Axim *is* listed under the supported devices list). I hate the "no trial" thing, but since the application is a known "good" for me, now I have to do a trial run of the functionality on my Dell. The hardware may or may not fall short - I'll post my results here once I've done some testing at home (nothing suitable is accessible right now in the office).

As for the installation method... Lackluster arrangement. You end up with no real installer. Your purchase provides you with a download that requires you to manually copy the application files to the device itself. And no, I'm not talking about a .CAB file copy and click... A manual copy of all .DLL files, data files, image files - everything. I'm very unimpressed with the "installation."

Additionally, there has been, historically, a method to download additional device controls (extra button sets, already configured, etc) from the "myNevo" site. It appears that, as of yet, no new information has been posted for non-iPaq devices. I'm able to access my login via the "hp iPaq users" link on the main page, but when attempting to add my new device, no dice. Only a handful of iPaqs and a couple Viewsonic "Smart Display" models are listed.

So, Day 1 - before I've even had a chance to test the functionality on this Pocket PC model, I'd say hold onto your cash (even if you get the subscriber discount). Give them a bit to see if they improve the initial issues already apparent, and I'll post more when I get a live run through usage and try to get hold of their support.... at their yahoo address :roll:

Old 10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Shaun Stuart
Theorist

OK - I just bought this and tried it out.

Heres a couple of odd things

Firstly the support email account is a yahoo address :?:

Secondly there is not automatic installation - you download a zip file, unzip and find a number of files and a readme which instruct you to copy all the files using activsync in to the pocket pc windows folder 8O . With such a professional looking product I was a little surprised there was no proper installation program.

Anyway the software installs and seemed to run OK - but unfortunately i couldnt get any of my devices to work with it

I tried to set up two TVs, two DVD players a VCR and two satellite boxes - none worked. I have emailed the developer and requested help.