Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket LOOX N Series Product Page at Fujitsu-Siemens

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/prod...x_n_series.html

"The Pocket LOOX N Series is the first handheld from Fujitsu Siemens Computers combining integrated GPS solution and Windows Mobile 5.0 Premium Edition in an outstanding design. The new Office Mobile Suite increases productivity and gives you access to all critical business information, regardless of your location. Wireless LAN (depending on model) and Infrared are integrated for optimized connection everywhere. Expand your Pocket LOOX N Series with SD-I/O / MM cards for storing data, backup and additional applications like navigation, multimedia and more. Special designed and tested navigation bundles make the Pocket LOOX N Series the perfect handheld for private and professional use."

The upcoming N500 and N520 GPS Pocket PCs have just been posted on the Fujitsu-Siemens website. Based on what's listed on the web page and data sheet (PDF), we can now confirm that the devices feature SDIO/MMC slots, GPS, 802.11g Wi-Fi (N520 only), but no Bluetooth. Both include Navigon MobileNavigator|5 software and Windows Mobile 5.0.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 PM
WillyG
Intellectual

"we can now confirm that the devices feature SDIO/MMC slots, GPS, 802.11g Wi-Fi (N520 only), but no Bluetooth."

That icon in the lower right corner (tray) looks like a bluetooth icon :?:

Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyG
"we can now confirm that the devices feature SDIO/MMC slots, GPS, 802.11g Wi-Fi (N520 only), but no Bluetooth."

That icon in the lower right corner (tray) looks like a bluetooth icon :?:
The N500 and N520 do not have Bluetooth. That is something I can absolutely confirm. Controversial maybe - but FSC made the decision to include GPS and USB host in their new low end, and added 802.11g to their new mid range, while keeping BT out to keep costs down.

The picture is not, however, necessarily inaccurate.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
while keeping BT out to keep costs down.
Just with the iPAQ rx1950.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I guess vendors need to take a loss on equipment at least once to figure out they need to include Bluetooth in their PDAs...

Old 10-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Gti
Pupil

[quote="Duncan"]
Quote:
... while keeping BT out to keep costs down.
I think the Bt is out to not risk to harm the market of the LOOX 720. The pre-release model I have was engineered to have the Bluetooth, so the costs to implement it now are very little (Bt chips cost few Dollars, and drivers are free from Ms...).
Hard decision, but indispensable. Who will buy the 720 model if there is another one (N520) with Bt/WiFI/Gps enabled? Sure, without Vga, but very small and lightweight...
Ciao, Gianni.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Menneisyys

[quote="Gti"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:
... while keeping BT out to keep costs down.
I think the Bt is out to not risk to harm the market of the LOOX 720. The pre-release model I have was engineered to have the Bluetooth, so the costs to implement it now are very little (Bt chips cost few Dollars, and drivers are free from Ms...).
Hard decision, but indispensable. Who will buy the 720 model if there is another one (N520) with Bt/WiFI/Gps enabled? Sure, without Vga, but very small and lightweight...
Ciao, Gianni.
Well, I'd never trade in my PL720 for an N520 - it's just inferior in almost every respect (except for 802.11g and GPS. WM5's superiority is also reqlly questionable before all the top programs (for example, NetFront) are all upgraded to be WM5-compliant).

That is, I don't think F-S has left out BT just not to make a PL720-killer. The n520 is a mediocre device compared to high-end Pocket PC's.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Gti
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
Well, I'd never trade in my PL720 for an N520
I'd never too, but I've (like u) the 720 and I know it. You have to look to users that don't have it, and are coming, for example, from an iPaq 3970... That people could be very sharmed by a good device, with Bt/WiFI/Gps (with software) integrated. The risk is high that they consider to buy the N520 and not the LOOX 720.
Not all the users are 'power' lik u...

Quote:
- it's just inferior in almost every respect
I'm not so sure: it's extremely fast (I'll publish soon the benchs of the graphic: 4000+ with Spb...), for example...

Quote:
... WM5's superiority is also reqlly questionable before all the top programs (for example, NetFront) are all upgraded to be WM5-compliant).
I agree.

Quote:
That is, I don't think F-S has left out BT just not to make a PL720-killer.
Never said that the N520 could be a killer. I said it could 'harm the market of the 720'.

Quote:
The n520 is a mediocre device compared to high-end Pocket PC's.
Try it, then say again
Ciao, Gianni.

P.s. Congrats for all your tips and articles.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti
I'm not so sure: it's extremely fast (I'll publish soon the benchs of the graphic: 4000+ with Spb...), for example...
Well, synthetic (Spb Benchmark) graphics performance doesn't really show anything IMHO. That is, for example, a 3D game won't be much faster (if at all) on the N520 than on, say, the PL720 or any Pocket PC that has a much lower Spb Benchmark gfx score.

As far as 2D rendering speed is concerned, a QVGA device will always be faster at that than a VGA one. Even my aged iPAQ 3660 is much faster than my PL720 (or any VGA device) at, say, rendering the Programs screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti
P.s. Congrats for all your tips and articles.
Thanks

Old 10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Until I see it, I won't believe a 312Mhz WM5 machine is extremely fast. WM5 is well known slow. 312Mhz is the slowest CPU so far. No magic here.