Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Want Macromedia Flash Player for Pocket PC? That'll be $499!

http://www.macromedia.com/software/...ketpc/2002.html

"As of October 3, 2005 Flash Player 6 for Pocket PC download will no longer be available. Below are answers to some questions that you may have regarding the availability of Flash Player for Pocket PC. If you do not see answers to your questions here or in the additional resources listed below, please send your questions to [email protected]."

A few months ago, Macromedia promoted the mobile Flash space like there was no tomorrow, and now they've negated all that by announcing that the free Flash Player for Pocket PC is no longer free. In fact, it's no longer available! Instead, it has been replaced by a Standalone Flash Player that costs $499 from the Macromedia Worldwide Online store.

"Why is Macromedia charging $499 for the Standalone Macromedia Flash Player 6 for Pocket PC 2003?"
The Standalone Flash Player gives developers the ability to create unlimited projectors (self running applications, without the need to install the Flash Player). This functionality gives developers the ability to distribute unlimited projectors, to charge for their content, while providing an engaging experience for consumers.

I don't know about you, but I think the world of Flash is a little bigger than just self-running applications. There are millions of web pages on the internet that make full use of Flash, and to void the average Joe of the ability to view them on a Pocket PC seems unimaginable. If Macromedia thinks that every mobile consumer will splurge $499 and/or rely on their OEM to bundle Flash with their Pocket PC, then I guess hell has frozen over.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:36 PM
UnLoGiC
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to UnLoGiC

I hope macromedia wakes up from their $499 dream and realizes their mistake...

Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
hockeydude
Pupil

hahahahah.......someone should tell Macromedia to get over themselves. I mean, Flash is nice, but for Windows Mobile.........it's really not that great, and it's especially not worth $499. I've tried running Flash apps before and atleast for me they had a tendency to be slow and when it comes to most games and applications I would rather just see them developted in a language more common to Windows Mobile.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:39 PM
dignow96
Ponderer
Default What!?!?!

Have those fools lost their *#$%in' minds? $499 for a player utility? This has got to be some idiot buried under two tons of paperwork making that choice! My company's website is completely flashed based with a mobile version and we'll lose some 28% of our visitors if mobile users are cut out. This is completely unreal!

Old 10-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Excellent news...!

Now - let's hope they follow this up by removing the free download for desktop browsers too. Then maybe the morons who insist on putting bloody flash intros on their websites will stop it and people will stop building aggravating websites using nothing but Flash.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor
Default Re: What!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignow96
My company's website is completely flashed based with a mobile version and we'll lose some 28% of our visitors if mobile users are cut out.
Guess maybe Macromedia isn't aware that there are ways to view flash files other than with stand-alone players :roll: Guess mobile site content developers are going to have to find some other way to produce that sort of content. Is there an alternative? Or will mobile content just become less 'flashy'?

They way to become the defacto standard in content production is to make content consumption ubiquitous. Adobe figured that out. Repligo took the hint. What happened to Macromedia?

Old 10-04-2005, 03:21 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

i think that the GREED got to Macromedia - now that they are one of the de-facto standards for presenting content over the web, they have taken their position in the market to get what they want (which is money)...

just my thoughts, though - but it really scares me...

Old 10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Guys, do not waste your precious time posting here.

They have posted an email

[email protected]

Just sent them what you think about it. I just did it.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
wot_fan
Pupil

There is a thread on HoFo that has a link where you can still download it for free.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:42 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

I also posted the question in their forums to see what they are going to say...

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/we...b0017069506063