Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Turn Almost Any CF Equipped Pocket PC Into A USB Host

http://mobilejenneth.blogs.com/archives/2005/10/attach_a_usb_me.html

"At press launches and conferences, it's increasingly the norm to be given a USB memory key that's preloaded with relevant information, such as hi-res images, PDFs and spec sheets. I never bring my notebook to briefings, so I usually have to wait till I get back to the office to see what's on the memory key. But I don't have to do that anymore. Hurray! Because I've got the Ratoc USB Host Adapter CF card. This slips into my iPAQ hx4700's CompactFlash slot, and from there I can attach any memory key, and even my iPod, to access its contents."

Jenneth was able to get several storage devices hooked up, including an Ipod Nano. You can find out the technical specs on the card here. The catch is, you must have a Pocket PC with a CF-II slot, a slot that is becoming increasingly rare as more device manufacturers move to SD, and it costs roughly $230 - the price on the site is Australian dollars. 8O You have to really want this functionality to pay that price. The drivers on the site indicate Pocket PC 2000 and 2002, but Jenneth is showing it working on her WM2003SE device.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 AM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

aint the Ratoc CF2/USB card ol' news already?

there had been many discussions about the feasibility of actually using it, etc. etc.

or, maybe i just up on the wrong side of the bed... its now 8:43am in tokyo, and have to prepare for work...

Old 10-05-2005, 01:04 AM
upplepop
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to upplepop

There may also be the SolarExpress� PDA II, which adds USB-host capabilities. They claim to be coming out November 10 at a cost of $90. But I wouldn't rely on it... it's been vaporware for about a year now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:40 AM
phs
Intellectual

I've been wanting a USB host card for sometime. Problem is my aging ipaq 2210 may already be dead before that SolarExpress thing comes out.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:46 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator

CF slots are "increasingly rare?" What planet are you living on? All of Dell's current Axims have them, most of HP's iPaqs, and a lot of other machines besides. Or is this 2002 again? 'Cause I heard the same thing back then. CompactFlash was going to be gone within a year. Oops.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBrown
CF slots are "increasingly rare?" What planet are you living on?
The one where converged devices is growing faster that the non-converged, and I am unaware of any phone enabled devices with CF. perhaps I am mistaken. :-)

Old 10-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
The one where converged devices is growing faster that the non-converged, and I am unaware of any phone enabled devices with CF. perhaps I am mistaken. :-)
Nope, you're right. I've yet to see a wave of converged devices sporting CF slots. But as far as non-converged devices go, CF slots are plentiful.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:12 AM
TheMouseMan
Pupil
Default Re: Turn Almost Any CF Equipped Pocket PC Into A USB Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
http://mobilejenneth.blogs.com/archives/2005/10/attach_a_usb_me.html

The catch is, you must have a Pocket PC with a CF-II slot, a slot that is becoming increasingly rare as more device manufacturers move to SD, and it costs roughly $230 - the price on the site is Australian dollars. 8O You have to really want this functionality to pay that price.
This is just another reason to get one of the IMHO best PPCs currently available: The Fujitsu-Siemens PocketLoox 720. You get (besides the VGA, BlueTooth, WiFi, 128 MB RAM and all that...) native support for USB Host and at the same time there is also the CF port still not being occupied by this expensive card - a win-win situation. Of course I can see the reason for people to want USB Host functionality - but at that price...?!? You could probably almost get a second hand Loox at that price :wink:

- TheMouseMan

Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upplepop
There may also be the SolarExpress� PDA II, which adds USB-host capabilities. They claim to be coming out November 10 at a cost of $90. But I wouldn't rely on it... it's been vaporware for about a year now. I'll believe it when I see it.
The Paradox card has been vaporware for at least 3 years...

Old 10-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Dyvim
Sage
Default Re: Turn Almost Any CF Equipped Pocket PC Into A USB Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMouseMan
This is just another reason to get one of the IMHO best PPCs currently available: The Fujitsu-Siemens PocketLoox 720. You get (besides the VGA, BlueTooth, WiFi, 128 MB RAM and all that...) native support for USB Host and at the same time there is also the CF port still not being occupied by this expensive card - a win-win situation.
or the Toshiba e830!
I won't be giving this baby up until it dies or until a faster device with 4" VGA screen, dual wireless, dual slots, 128 MB RAM, and USB host comes out. Until then there's no real reason to upgrade. Support? I don't need no stinkin' support!