Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default O2 Launches the Xda Exec

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news1732.html

"O2 announces the launch of the O2 Xda Exec, the first integrated PDA and mobile phone device to feature 3G, offering a completely new look and feel to the highly successful O2 Xda� II range. A laptop replacement device, the new O2 Xda Exec is also the first handheld device to incorporate the Windows Mobile 5.0� operating system, complete with a laptop style keyboard, making it the ultimate all in one device for the mobile executive. Since its launch in 2002, the O2 Xda range has grown both in capability and popularity, with more than 140, 000 sold across the UK, Germany and Ireland. The O2 Xda Execs sleek black finish combined with the faster operating system, hi-resolution video camera, tri-band functionality and improved battery life make for the ultimate mobile PDA experience for both business and consumer users, and represents a significant step forward in the O2 Xda range."

A press release published at CoolSmartPhone.com has revealed the launch of the O2 Xda Exec (otherwise known as the HTC Universal). I see no mention of this on the O2 site (yet), but it seems pretty official. The device includes an Intel PXA272 520MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, a 3.6" VGA (640 x 480) 65K colour screen, tri-band GSM/GPRS, UMTS (2100) support, Wi-Fi 802.11b, Bluetooth 1.2, IR, mini-USB, an SDIO slot, an integrated camera, stereo speakers, and a 62-key QWERTY keyboard.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Phoenix
Sage

I read a review on this particular version of the Universal today and I'm impressed - really nice phone. I just wish this XDA was available unlocked, but it seems you can't get your hands on it unless you have a contract with O2.

Since the only differences between all the branded versions of this phone are cosmetic, the thing I like about this O2 is the black casing and the custom blue backlighting on the keyboard. The nicest looking one yet, IMO.

Makes it hard for me to say no to buying a Universal even though I've stated before that the Wizard would make the most sense for me in terms of wireless use in the States.

I just hope a North Amercian version of this phone is quick to arrive. And I hope we have a chance to get it in that beautiful black with the blue backlighting. 8)

Read the review here.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

I have long said that a converged device is just not for me - prefering a small dedicated phone to compliment my PDA.

This device (cost aside ) could probably change my mind. It really does look like an excellent all round PDA as long as the extra size did not bother you.

What I would really like to see is something like this but without the phone capability and, of course, at a lower price point.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Wow! Now that is a nice looking device! It almost made me forgive the built-in keyboard. Almost.

If this did not have the built-in keyboard, it would be REALLY tough to decide between this and the e-TEN M600. Very hard.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

i have always found built in thumb keyboards a waste of space. But when it comes to phone edition devices, a number pad would be very nice.
i dont get this, why the engineers didnt implement two more buttons just below the screen?

Old 09-13-2005, 08:21 AM
page3
Neophyte

Different people want different features. Personally I wouldn't consider a phone/PDA without a keyboard. The EXEC looks excellent and O2 appears to be the most cost effective provider by far (�150 on their 200 tariff).

OK, PW2005 isn't perfect but is probably the best of the (now) bad bunch, following the demise of Psion.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Muntasser
Intellectual

On the plus side its thinner than a Nokia 5110.

I had one of those for a few years, and it was the definition of brick par excellence.

So I think HTC have done a good job considering the amount of features jammed into this phone.

I really think that slimming the device a touch further, say 20% to 20mm would make a world of difference in real world usage. People say they dont mind, but PDA's are with you all day every day, usually in pockets and every mm counts.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

I played about with the Orange version and wasn't smitten. For me it felt too large compared to my iMate Jam, not something I would want to handle all the time.

Also, the screen seemed to be somewhat out of proportion to the device, it sat uncomfortably in the middle of a vast plain of plastic. Probably you wouldn't notice when using the device but it looked odd to me!

Perhaps I would go for a slim VGA PPC Phone without a keyboard, but at the moment I will keep hold of the Jam!

Old 09-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Welsome Page3. (interesting names there....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3
The EXEC looks excellent and O2 appears to be the most cost effective provider by far (�150 on their 200 tariff).
I'm with O2 and I am really looking forward to this device. Where did you get the figure of �150 from by the way? I can't locate the price anywhere at the moment. The only mention of price is from the press release that says it Starts at �399.....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3
OK, PW2005 isn't perfect but is probably the best of the (now) bad bunch, following the demise of Psion.
Ah yes, the good old Psion days. This certainly seems to be heading in the right direction as a 5MX replacement.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:22 PM
gavinfabl
Ponderer

If I spoken to o2 several times. To upgrade (if you are outside your 12 months ) o2 200 �149 , anything less �230, 02 Max the phone is free.

Obviously 02 might tweak these, but they have told too many people this price.