Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Extreme Database Editing

http://nativemobile.blogspot.com/2005/08/extreme-database-editing.html

"My friend C�sar and I just participated in what I would call "extreme database editing". After discussing my new site and the latest improvements to DesktopSqlCe, C�sar challenged me to try and edit a SQL CE database on his PDA. We would use the latest version of my tools and would do it over the network. The challenge was that he lives in Peru and I live in Portugal."

Once they got the connection settings right on both ends, Jo�o Paulo was able to open up a database from his PC in Portugal on C�sar's Pocket PC in Peru and add some records. I am sure someone will fine a practical application for this, but for now, it falls under the W?BIC category. 8)

Old 09-01-2005, 01:23 AM
PocketPC Addict
Intellectual

I think repairs would be a good reason to do this. One misplaced SQL statement can hose a database. If a netadmin could connect over the internet and fix it, it would save a lot of trouble for the end user

Old 09-01-2005, 02:36 AM
lapchinj
Thinker
Default Re: Extreme Database Editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
... but for now, it falls under the W?BIC category. 8)
Which IMHO happens to be the coolest of categories 8). All the great explorers and inventors did it because they wanted to be included in this category (Columbus, Edison, Bell, etc. :mrgreen: )

Jeff-

Old 09-01-2005, 05:32 AM
heliod
Intellectual

I don't understand the skepticism....

This is actually the very need of all sales staff of international companies using CRM, ERP, and sales applications, and in need of real time queries and updates of their databases while visiting customers.

Technically, there is no difference between opening a database from a mile far or from another country. But the whole point of hotspots, gprs and the pocketpc as a professional tool is allowing that.