Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 08-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Google Talk On Your Pocket PC

As most of you know by now, Google has released a new IM client called Google Talk. Officially, it only works on Windows. Unofficially, it works on many different platforms. imov Universal Mobile Manager for the Pocket PC, for example, can be configured to work with Google Talk.

1) Open imov Messenger.
2) On the Login screen, enter 'talk.google.com' as in the 'Servername:' field. Enter your full Gmail email address in the 'Username:' field (including '@gmail.com').
3) Click the 'Setup' button and on the next dialog box click the 'Advanced...' button.
4) Check the 'Encrypt sessions' checkbox and click OK to dismiss the Advanced Setup dialog box. Click OK again to dismiss the Setup dialog box.
5) Click the 'Connect' button on the Login Screen to connect to the Google server.

Arne Hess also has some interesting thoughts on Google Talk in the enterprise. Apparently, the Windows client is so easy to install and works over non-standard IM ports, anyone can install it, without admin privileges, and plug right into the proxy server.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 AM
kaitanium
Theorist

i think aim still has the world on lockdown. man if only all my friends had this, then i could be talking to them on my ppc!

Old 08-26-2005, 03:26 AM
jhennig
Ponderer

Is there any chance of google releasing their own ppc program for it?

Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhennig
Is there any chance of google releasing their own ppc program for it?
I doubt it. Gmail support for the Pocket PC took so long that it's clear that their committment to the Pocket PC platform is anything but stellar. Even then, it's not "true" Gmail support for the Pocket PC - it's more like Gmail support for non-supported browsers. So to think Google would start working on a Pocket PC client for Google Talk, is in my opinion, wishful thinking.

You'd be better off using the aforementioned suggestion, or setting it up through a mobile Jabber client using the "talk.google.com" server and port 5222.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:52 AM
jhennig
Ponderer

bummer, although i'm not suprised. As you stated, it seems pretty clear that they aren't interested in ppcs.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:18 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Well I use Agile Messenger on my iPaq 5550 and I can get onto AIM, MSN and Yahoo! without a problem. Bummer I can't get onto Google's service.

I was very excited when I heard about this announcement. Man, Google is just on a rampage! I wonder what they are going to come out with next.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
bothari
Pupil

Jabber rules. I work in a european telecom, developing our own jabber client (mostly to mantain localized content) and we were over the moon when google talk came out, for various reasons, one of which is the current lack of Jabber mobile clients.

You see, google probably won't develop their own ppc/mobile client... but it's *google* so you can bet that lots of people are right now thinking "Boy, a jabber client for mobile clients might just take off, let's do owr own ...".

As for Agile Messenger, they dropped jabber . Bet they're feeling stupid now...

Old 08-26-2005, 01:57 PM
jhennig
Ponderer

I hear next google is working on creating free google cars which you will be emailed through your gmail account. You will need to upload your location to them through google earth and talk to a rep via google talk... don't forget to use google search to find the appropriate car for you.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:41 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhennig
don't forget to use google search to find the appropriate car for you.
I think Froogle would be used, actually.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I would be very interested in getting google talk's voip working from my pocket pc. The only way i can do that now is with portrait. I am assuming imov doesn't support voice.