Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default i-mate JAM Limited Edition Released

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=4943

Despite the name, this limited edition i-mate JAM is far from limited in functionality. According to Geekzone, it features the exact same specifications as that of the original JAM, except it also sports 128MB RAM, anti-virus software from CA, Skype on-board, a free 2-year extended warranty, and a free SD card. Those of you with alert senses will also notice the limited edition JAM featuring a distinct charcoal colour, as opposed to the standard silver.

The device will be made available online and offline from mid-August in limited quantities.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I wish it didn't have a camera. Arrgh.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:25 PM
TMann
Intellectual

How much will it cost? And will it be upgradable to WM 5.0?

TMann

Old 08-03-2005, 05:31 PM
kiwi
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann
How much will it cost? And will it be upgradable to WM 5.0?

TMann
I am pretty sure imate said they were not making WM5 available as an upgrade for the imate Jam.

It would be good if the ltd edition came with a SD wiFi card

Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

If I see them make a WM5 upgrade, this will defnitely be my next device!

My poor olde ipaq 2210 is still kicking. But it could be an excuse for me to be more generous to my GF.

128 mb RAM. w00t! Can't have enough RAM to install Today themes

OTOH, the Samsung i730 is beginning to look atractive too, maybe.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
szamot
Sage

I am sure that while the service providers are not going to do upgrades, Imate is one of only two devices that actually runs WM5 with wm5 roms available everywhere, contrary to what Telcos and manufacturers say that the device lacks sufficient memory. In fact BigStore will give you 30 mb to play with of internal rom for personal use.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer
Default Not Impressed at all.

I have recently switched from I mate Jam to Treo 650 and I have to say I am much happier. The screen is much brighter and that keyboard is GREAT! (I am still keeping my HP HX 4705 though). I don't see any point in buying this limited edition Jam since they can't be upgraded to WM5 because they only have 64MB ROM which is not enough to store OS and Apps.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

As I stated on HowardForums, it's just another way to tweak out the sales of a existing product that, in one respect, the only thing "Limited" is its life cycle.

During a critical time when a new iteration of OS is just making its debut, they have to throw in "goodies" like this in order to sell the remaining supply off, especially if they're not going to make the effort to give it an shiny software upgrade.

The only upside is that they're probably doing exactly what PocketPCTechs is doing, and giving a boost of warranty instead of voiding it. But, of course, this new "Limited Edition" only hurts PPCT's business, that's about it. I, honestly, would not be heartily surprised if one actually cracks open this "Limited Edition" version, only to find that new RAM chips were resoldered onto these extra supply of motherboards just lying around in their manufacturing facility.

Wake up, i-mate. Do the right thing for once.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Pixelnose
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael143

Yup, except I don't think "right thing" is in their vocabulary. :devilboy:

Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael143
As I stated on HowardForums, it's just another way to tweak out the sales of a existing product that, in one respect, the only thing "Limited" is its life cycle.

During a critical time when a new iteration of OS is just making its debut, they have to throw in "goodies" like this in order to sell the remaining supply off, especially if they're not going to make the effort to give it an shiny software upgrade.

The only upside is that they're probably doing exactly what PocketPCTechs is doing, and giving a boost of warranty instead of voiding it. But, of course, this new "Limited Edition" only hurts PPCT's business, that's about it. I, honestly, would not be heartily surprised if one actually cracks open this "Limited Edition" version, only to find that new RAM chips were resoldered onto these extra supply of motherboards just lying around in their manufacturing facility.

What are they doing wrong? As you said, they had a lot of extra stock kicking around, right about a new OS is coming forth. If they don't do something like this how do you think they'll sell off the remaining stock? It's not going to hurt their business in any way, like having badly designed PPCs would hurt HP. And don't know if you realize or not, but the Imtae JAM is selling like hotcakes in Hong Kong and China. I'm sure that given the "buy new toys" culture in Hong Kong, they will gobble this "limited edition" like all the other new toys.