Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Kenya's Pocket PC Education Test Run

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programm...ine/4727617.stm

"Since the Kenyan government introduced free primary school education two years ago, the resulting influx of kids has meant that resources are spread as thinly as ever... However, in Class Five, things are just a little bit different. Fifty-four 11-year-old students are willing guinea pigs in an extraordinary experiment aimed at using technology to deliver education across the continent. In the Eduvision pilot project, textbooks are out, customised Pocket PCs, referred to as e-slates, are very much in. They are Wi-Fi enabled and run on licence-free open source software to keep costs down."

BBC News has a great article on a new Kenyan Pocket PC pilot designed to improve education for a select group of kids in the local primary school at Mbita Point. It's always nice seeing our favourite gadgets improve the teaching and learning experience for those who value it the most. Definitely worth a read!

Old 07-31-2005, 01:36 PM
dMores
Philosopher

wow. that's really neat.
those 11-year-olds get to use gadgets most 11-year-olds in other parts of the world can't

yes, yes, i know, 1st world kids have gameboys, nintendos, tvs etc.
but i really think this is a great idea.
i sure hope it helps these kids and permits them to grow up to become scientists, teachers, etc.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:40 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Great story and very deserving of front-page status. Thanx for posting Darius.

Old 07-31-2005, 03:11 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

Another reason to go to VGA as a minimum screen size!

The company I work for (PLATO Learning - www.plato.com ) has lots of courseware that ought to work on a PDA, but it is almost all designed for 640x480 as a minimum. It would probably take millions of dollars to redesign it for a smaller screen - not worth it.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Before we get carried away - note that this projects has faced a lot of very justified criticism from within Kenya. The article plays it down slightly - it seems to be missing the comments from the Kenyan Education misnister that they keep being targetted by well meaning but impractical test schemes that don't take into account the practicalities of technology based solutions for people with little access to power or basic technological resources.

I'm sure their hearts are in the right place - but I'm afraid it's the wrong scheme in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
pine
Neophyte
Default propaganda that satisfies the superfacial self-esteem with no practical use

Such project is exactly what makes western world looks good on paper but bears no practical benefit to these who really need help. these kids need money to stay in school, not super fancy toys to show they are using technologies. using linux to save the cost??? how about the hardware. does any one know these ipaqs or whatever might be the cost of their education for probably one year? would you know if the money one spends on buying these gadget would allow more children go to school? it is like trying new expensive nutrition receipt on the people who don't even have enough bread to live on. what they need is not a super delicious bread, but more bread.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:09 AM
shawnc
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Before we get carried away - note that this projects has faced a lot of very justified criticism from within Kenya. The article plays it down slightly - it seems to be missing the comments from the Kenyan Education misnister that they keep being targetted by well meaning but impractical test schemes that don't take into account the practicalities of technology based solutions for people with little access to power or basic technological resources.

I'm sure their hearts are in the right place - but I'm afraid it's the wrong scheme in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Actually Duncan I kind of thought of this prior to my post. I also have a problem with granting this kind of privilege to such a small number of kids when most schools in Kenya don't even have electricity. But for me, the bottom line is that we seem to ignore the dark continents/countries when giving aid, assistance, and even sympathy. Anything that reverses that pattern is a positive in my eyes.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Paragon
Magi

Geeee....wizzzz...What are you guys saying? That because they live in a country that has poverty they should not be allowed to have the latest technology.....Why should we be allowed to have it when WE have poverty in our own countries. I think we need to keep our bleed hearts in proper working order.

Look at those kids. They don't have flys landing on their faces. They don't look like they have extended bellies. Well no worse than mine. They are well to do kids. Maybe they will become well educated, and bring about positive changes to their country in the future.....Or we could see they have no opportunities and keep them downtrodden like many others in their country....Ok, enough preaching from me.

Dave

Old 08-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Geeee....wizzzz...What are you guys saying? That because they live in a country that has poverty they should not be allowed to have the latest technology.....Why should we be allowed to have it when WE have poverty in our own countries. I think we need to keep our bleed hearts in proper working order.

Look at those kids. They don't have flys landing on their faces. They don't look like they have extended bellies. Well no worse than mine. They are well to do kids. Maybe they will become well educated, and bring about positive changes to their country in the future.....Or we could see they have no opportunities and keep them downtrodden like many others in their country....Ok, enough preaching from me.

Dave
No. That is not what I said. I didn't even remotely make a point anything like that.

What I actually said is - the project has come under criticism from within Kenya itself - from both the people in charge of education there, and from charities on the ground. This is nothing to do with being 'allowed' to have technolgy - it is everything to do with targetting resources well.

You are right - these particular children are not starving to death. They are however poor and lack basic communications and access to electricity. What they need are up-to-date quality textbooks - not technology that is impractical for their needs.

All this technology does is allow some technology providers to feel good. Let's work on ensuring they have access to to electricity, phones, school buildings (have you seen what passes for schools in Kenya?), effective educated teachers, access to internet and e-mail. Then we can work on providing educations through PDAs.

This is nothing to do with bleeding hearts - don't be so fatuous - it is based on the hard realities of need in developing nations. You want them to become educated and bring about those positive changes? Don't give them technology that is virtually useless to them - give them stuff they can use. Or do we expect them to keep their PDAs charged with bicycle pumps?

FTR - I would love to see the devloped nations put the funding into giving devleopeing nations the kick-start they desperately need (investment in basic infrastructure etc.) that would make a project like this worthwhile. Sadly what the Kenyans and others keep getting instead is groups who start up idiotic projects like this, in advance of them being remotely practical, and think they are doing some good.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Don't give them technology that is virtually useless to them - give them stuff they can use. Or do we expect them to keep their PDAs charged with bicycle pumps?
Ah, Duncan. If you read the article, my friend, you will see that not only do they have electricity in Kenya, thay also have WiFi in their classroom....Dang, I wish my kids had WiFi at school!