Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default The HTC Apache Revealed

http://phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Apa...icle-a_643.html

phoneArena has the latest information on the HTC Apache - a CDMA version of the HTC Wizard which we revealed earlier in the week. According to the site, it will feature an Intel Bulverde 416MHz (or possibly, 520MHz) processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, JVM support, CDMA/EV-DO support, a 1.3MP camera with flash, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, IR, a miniSD card slot, a 240x320 screen, a 1300mAh Li-Ion battery, and of course, Windows Mobile 5.0. phoneArena claims that the source of the information on this 4.5" x 2.5" x 1" device is reliable, though I guess we'll have to wait before we tag these specifications as fact or fiction.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

wtf? why does cdma get the nice processor and gsm get the TI thing??
Still that mini sd joke though..

Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

THe TI chips were used because they played nice (supposedly) with the GSM phone chipsets. However, standard Intel processors worked fine in devices like the PDA2K, so it's a bogus argument. CDMA phones didn't seem to have this problem with standard Intel processors. Go figure

Old 07-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Paragon
Magi

No way.....It's all a big fat lie....A CDMA unit with WiFi and Bluetooth?! :idontthinkso:

Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 PM
kcrain
Pupil

Does this really make sense? Previous HTC models have had the same specs between GSM and CDMA, like processor, memory, etc, right? Or am I just fooling myself? If the CDMA version has atleast 416Mhz, then why wouldn't the GSM version? Now I'm beginning to suspect the rumors of the 200Mhz TI processor for the Wizard...

Old 07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
maximum360
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to maximum360

We need to form an anti-antenna union.

Antennas suck, big time! :evil:

Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
No way.....It's all a big fat lie....A CDMA unit with WiFi and Bluetooth?! :idontthinkso:
Well the i730 has all of this - you just can't take calls while using WiFi. A not-too-small issue in my opinion. 8O

Old 07-29-2005, 09:17 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrain
Does this really make sense? Previous HTC models have had the same specs between GSM and CDMA, like processor, memory, etc, right? Or am I just fooling myself? If the CDMA version has atleast 416Mhz, then why wouldn't the GSM version? Now I'm beginning to suspect the rumors of the 200Mhz TI processor for the Wizard...
I don't really have a clue about this, but I tend to think the rumors about the GSM model are accurate. However, I do know that CDMA takes quite a bit more power than GSM - maybe they need the faster processor - or the OMAP processor isn't compatible with the CDMA radio. Of course if that's true why go with the 416 Mhz version, not one clocked down to 300 or whatever.....

Seems to me we won't really know for sure until the devices are actually announced with complete specs.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Kevin Daly
Theorist

I saw a photo of one of these with the label "HTC Apache" at a user group meeting recently - it was on a slide of "Things We're Not Allowed To Talk About Yet".

Old 07-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Majestic
Pupil

THe i730 doesn't have a camera right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Well the i730 has all of this - you just can't take calls while using WiFi. A not-too-small issue in my opinion. 8O